#1 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14460 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:33 PM

So, the 5 year vacation in Okinawa is coming to an end. Chris the Marine has to do a "B" Billet, (a MOS other than what he trained for). For the Marines that means DI at Paris Island, Embassy Duty station or, Recruiting.

Chris got recruiting.

So, he's been in California for the last few weeks getting trained to sell horse shit to teen agers encourage impressional youth to serve their country.

Now this means they will move back stateside and we all have been on pins and needles as to where they would end up. Chris requested the South East US to be close to family.

Of course it's the Military and all so, they ended up outside Boston possibly for the next 3 years. Not a bad place but, further away than anyone wanted.

The W/G is heartbroken over this. While they will be in the US and a pretty easy plan ride from ATL to Boston, she wants the grandkids close.

Tonight, I'm making sure her wine glass is never dry, giving her space and there for her when she needs to cry.

#2 Area Man

Area Man

Comptroller of Geometry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8166 posts
  • LocationAbilizzle

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:26 PM

I feel worse for him getting recruiting duty than for the geographical situation!

#3 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14460 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:33 PM

I feel worse for him getting recruiting duty than for the geographical situation!

Recruiting sucks. Long days. Lots of weekends.

Hopefully, he will get promoted soon and will be over the recruiting station. Not so many hours but, until then...

#4 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34750 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:22 PM

What area?

#5 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1889 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:30 PM

Parris Isl is near me.  4.5 hrs for you.  bummer

#6 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Comptroller of BigAssMan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42136 posts
  • Locationen route

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:39 PM

This.  SO much this.

Recruiting sucks. Long days. Lots of weekends.

Hopefully, he will get promoted soon and will be over the recruiting station. Not so many hours but, until then...

Does he have the rank to get promoted out?  They have recruiting billets up to E-7 (and even have a few E-8 billets). 

#7 Area Man

Area Man

Comptroller of Geometry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8166 posts
  • LocationAbilizzle

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:50 PM

On the plus side, recruiters get additional pay, and I bet the cost of living allowance in that area is schweet. If they can find the right area, I bet they can have a comfortable life up there. Some people fall right into the recruiting thing, so maybe he'll wind up liking it and being good at it. 

#8 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Comptroller of BigAssMan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42136 posts
  • Locationen route

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:57 PM

That's true.  I just hope his quote is low.  I don't know many enlistees from Massachusetts.

#9 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5494 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:14 PM

My cousin is finishing up a 3 year recruiting assignment for the Marines. He said if he had to do another stint, he'd probably get out rather than stay for his 20, and he's at year 13 or 14.

He described it as harder on his wife and kids than any other duty, even his various deployments and abroad and under weigh.

Good luck to Chris the Marine!

#10 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34750 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:36 PM

My cousin is finishing up a 3 year recruiting assignment for the Marines. He said if he had to do another stint, he'd probably get out rather than stay for his 20, and he's at year 13 or 14.

He described it as harder on his wife and kids than any other duty, even his various deployments and abroad and under weigh.

Good luck to Chris the Marine!

What's hard about it?  Seems like a normal work-a-day, soul-sucking job like the rest of us have.

#11 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33241 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:44 AM

Boston...

Mother of god.

#12 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63219 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:51 AM

What's hard about it? Seems like a normal work-a-day, soul-sucking job like the rest of us have.

Gotta be better than being shot at in the desert

#13 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14460 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 18 May 2018 - 03:45 AM

What area?

Westwood from what I hear. Moving late July.

Does he have the rank to get promoted out?  They have recruiting billets up to E-7 (and even have a few E-8 billets). 

I think he's an E-7 and looking to get promoted to E-8 in the next year or so - I think. That's why they threw him into recruiting so fast. He wanted embassy duty but, recruiting is better than being a DI from what I understand. If he had been a DI, that would have been nice since Paris Island is only a few hours from here. He tried to get embassy duty for Japan since they were already there. He almost got it but, got bumped at the last minute..

On the plus side, recruiters get additional pay, and I bet the cost of living allowance in that area is schweet. If they can find the right area, I bet they can have a comfortable life up there. Some people fall right into the recruiting thing, so maybe he'll wind up liking it and being good at it. 

He might do well. He's a total people person. He will do the best he can in that situation.

I heard their housing allowance will be in the 3 grand a month range. I have a work friend whose parents own some apartments up that way. I can see if they make a connection. 3 Grand a month in Boston won't be much...

What's hard about it?  Seems like a normal work-a-day, soul-sucking job like the rest of us have.

Recruiters have lots of odd hours since their clientele are usually high school kids so, meetings with parents/kids after school and weekends. There's lots of stress involved since he will have a quota to fill and in that area, with this economy, it's going to be a hard sell. He's competing with colleges and  fairly wealthy demographic up there, from what I've read.

#14 pickle_rick

pickle_rick

Comptroller of <non-pr0n> pr0n

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35125 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 May 2018 - 03:48 AM

Boston...

Mother of god.

to people not from the area it almost seems like the entirety of new england is "outside of boston" :lol:

but seriously I've run into people that thought new england was a state.

Edited by pickle_rick, 18 May 2018 - 03:49 AM.

#15 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34750 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 18 May 2018 - 04:49 AM

Recruiters have lots of odd hours since their clientele are usually high school kids so, meetings with parents/kids after school and weekends. There's lots of stress involved since he will have a quota to fill and in that area, with this economy, it's going to be a hard sell. He's competing with colleges and  fairly wealthy demographic up there, from what I've read.

What happens if he doesn't meet quota?  They can't fire him from the Marines, right?

#16 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18870 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 18 May 2018 - 04:49 AM

Recruiting seems like a sales job. Does he have the personality for the job?

#17 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14460 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 18 May 2018 - 05:33 AM

What happens if he doesn't meet quota?  They can't fire him from the Marines, right?

I don't know what happens if they don't meet quota. He can be "fired" from the Marines.

Recruiting seems like a sales job. Does he have the personality for the job?

It's the Military. It's now his job. Having the personality for a sales job doesn't really figure into the equation. You do what you are told.

#18 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11408 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:08 AM

Westwood from what I hear. Moving late July.

There are a few Brew Brothers from Massachusetts, but none around that area. south of I-95.  Cavman, Jkor and I are all 30 to 60 minutes north of Westwood.

Westwood is an average-to-nice suburb, 30 to 60 minutes from downtown Boston depending on traffic.  Boston kind of has inner suburbs within I-95 (kind of a ring road around Boston, except that due to the Atlantic ocean it doesn't make a full circle), and outer suburbs outside of I-95.  Westwood is pretty much straddling I-95.  

#19 japh

japh

Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10420 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:49 AM

My friend in the Marines worked more hours while doing recruiting than he did at any other duty station.  He saw his family less than at any other non-deployed duty station.  Then he had more paperwork when he got home.

This was as an officer, so mileage may vary. 

#20 pickle_rick

pickle_rick

Comptroller of <non-pr0n> pr0n

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35125 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:52 AM

in an area outside of boston I would think $3K/month wouldn't be too bad for paying rent.  around 2005 I had a 900 sq-ft apartment with multiple driveway parking spaces near the museum of science for about $1300/month.  I'm sure prices have gone up but hopefully not more than 2x!  this place def would have been big enough for a 2 adults and one kid situation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users