Photo

Interesting slide on end of year powerpoint.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39463 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:19 PM

They always have a slide of who received sports scholarships. High school is about 3000 students.

2 football players
2 baseball players
1 soccer player
No basketball player
All 6 starting varsity golfers. The oldest female golfer is a sophomore, so none eligible yet.

L6EZCdV.jpg

#2 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3619 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:21 PM

For a school of that size that doesn't seem like many. I went to an all guys school with about 900 students. I don't remember exact numbers, but I think there were about 20 football scholarships alone plus a few basketball, and a couple for each of baseball, hockey, and wrestling.
For football, it was a given that all first string seniors got a full ride, most to Big 10 schools.

#3 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37002 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:37 PM

*takes son to golf course*

#4 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39463 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:20 PM

For a school of that size that doesn't seem like many. I went to an all guys school with about 900 students. I don't remember exact numbers, but I think there were about 20 football scholarships alone plus a few basketball, and a couple for each of baseball, hockey, and wrestling.
For football, it was a given that all first string seniors got a full ride, most to Big 10 schools.

Honestly, our football team sucks. Pretty sure we finished in last in our division. These are mostly gated community kids.

Maybe not mostly, but even the non gated community kids are not hurting.

#5 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37002 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:47 PM

Oh, rich kids can't play football, eh?  CLASSIST!!!

#6 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39463 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:51 PM

Two of them can!

#7 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19700 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:01 PM

Good coaching and a history of winning gets the best athletes. Zaph son is a good example a good club soccer player converting to a golfer. If they had an average golf program they would get average golfers.

When I was in high school I ran the track, mostly the mile and 2 mile. One of the schools we competed against was a little school (300 students) that had one of the best x country programs in the country. They would beat 3000 student schools. The best athletes in that school ran cross country and track rather than football and baseball. I didn't run cross country but all of them ran the distant events in track, my goal was not to get lapped
http://www.ohsaa.org...oss_Country.htm

#8 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39463 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:26 PM

One of the odd things about our high school. No pep rallies for any sports. Principal feels it sends the wrong message to take kids out of academics to celebrate sports.

Edited by Zaphod_Beeblebrox, 17 May 2018 - 08:01 PM.

#9 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3619 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:49 PM

Good coaching and a history of winning gets the best athletes.

I think my perspective is a bit skewed as well because of those things. I swam and played water polo. We sucked. However we had and still have one of the most celebrated football programs in the state. Lots of kids ended up in the NFL, including guys like Donovan McNabb and Simeon Rice.

#10 japh

japh

Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10422 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:26 AM

One of the odd things about our high school. No pep rallies for any sports. Principal feels it sends the wrong message to take kids out of academics to celebrate sports.

:goodidea:

#11 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12126 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:18 AM

Do other schools do that?  Getting out of class for a pep rally seems strange, that certainly wouldn't have flown at my high school.  I had no idea that some schools did that.

#12 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39463 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:20 AM

Yes, the last high school my wife was at had pep rallies during the day.

#13 maddog

maddog

Comptroller of badogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6519 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:37 AM

I went to a small, rural high school of 350. I played baseball on a team with 12 guys. 10 got scholarships to play in college. No other athletes in any other sport earned a scholarship. 

#14 japh

japh

Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10422 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:05 AM

Do other schools do that?  Getting out of class for a pep rally seems strange, that certainly wouldn't have flown at my high school.  I had no idea that some schools did that.

Mine did.  Once per athletic season.  We went on "assembly schedule" so all the classes were shortened.

#15 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 66999 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:42 PM

Mine did. Once per athletic season. We went on "assembly schedule" so all the classes were shortened.

Same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users