#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:20 AM

I havent brewed in 5 months. Just saw an ad for tge ozapft is german bier comp in texas. I used to enter that every year and usually won something. I need to brew. I feel the need, the need for yeast.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:47 AM

Get brewing! Build up a small system and brew!

#3 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:02 AM

I've got most of the pieces. I need to clean out the garage first, then I need a small fermentation fridge. I have to clean some kegs too.

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 13 May 2018 - 02:54 PM

Don’t stress on the equipment. McGyver something together and just brew!! Pick a temp friendly yeast and get your sea legs back

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 May 2018 - 03:45 PM

Don’t stress on the equipment. McGyver something together and just brew!! Pick a temp friendly yeast and get your sea legs back

yyyaaarrrr matey!!  

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:21 PM

:)

#7 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:44 PM

Well, make a starter

#8 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:04 PM

I ordered a new burner for my bayou classic. Old one was covered in burned wort. I might try and clean it, but I'll brew faster by replacing it.

Getting rid of a bunch of crap in the garage next weekend.

#9 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:07 PM

Just realized I need a new mash tun.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:54 PM

I havent brewed in 5 months. Just saw an ad for tge ozapft is german bier comp in texas. I used to enter that every year and usually won something. I need to brew. I feel the need, the need for yeast.

So what's going on?  What's up with the commercial brewery project or the beer/BBQ truck project, etc?  I know you're active in club events, BJCP things and beer in general and I also understand you have a job and you're married.  But what happened to all the gear you used before?  I'm thinking it won't take you long to get back on it and sometimes when things like this happen you come out better than you were before.  There are ALWAYS new pieces of brewing equipment coming out so piece it together and let's (that's a proverbial LET'S... it's really YOU :lol:) make some beer!  

#11 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:15 PM

Brewery is on hold. TPW is in physicians assistant school and will be for another year so it's not very prudent to take on opening a brewery & bbq while taking on 120k in student loans and a mortgage to pay. We have the BBQ trailer going and we're doing gigs just about every weekend. I'm not working the truck much though because my job has me busier than a one legged man in a greased watermelon race. I'ved worked nearly every weekend since September last year (last sat was the first I took off since middle of feb.) I've cancelled all of my brewing obligations for the club and for any of the charities I've done in the past. Usually I brew for going to the keys at the end of july, but that trip is cancelled for the 2nd year in a row. And I don't have any oktoberfest parties to brew for. The 1bbl system is cumbersome and takes a full day to brew on and another half a day to clean. It's not fun and it's a lot of beer when you don't have large groups to drink it all. Plus after going to NC to my friends brewery who has the same system, but upgraded to electric and does the same amount of beer in 6 hours, spending 2 days to brew a beer doesn't make me want to do it very much. So, I'm cleaning out the garage next weekend and I'm putting together a 5 gal system and I'm going to brew what I want to brew for my own selfish reasons for a while. I'm going to clean up the 1bbl and turn it electric within a year I'd guess so it's easier to use. If I get the chance to open a brewery after TPW gets out of school and has a high paying job then I'll consider it again then. I might even apply to go to Sibel for the 20 week course, but there's a lot that can happen between now and then. In the meantime I'm helping one of my friends open a brewery by giving them advice on pitfalls I've encountered and help setting things up.

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:46 PM

You have your priorities straight.  It's a bummer the commercial brewery is on hold because I know how much work you have done on that.  Set up the 5 gallon system and brew the beers you like... start with a nice Kolsch and go from there.  Seriously... a lot of new brew toys have come out lately so maybe look at some of the smaller electric systems like Grainfather or that other Mash & Boil system that Denny and I posted about.  Hang in there and cheers.

#13 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:04 PM

I'll go old school on the 5 gal. Batch sparge and gas fired. No sense in making it complicated to save a couple minutes. I only need a mash tun and a ferm chamber so far as equipment is concerned. Biggest obstacles are time and place (cleaning out the garage).

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:54 AM

I'll go old school on the 5 gal. Batch sparge and gas fired. No sense in making it complicated to save a couple minutes. I only need a mash tun and a ferm chamber so far as equipment is concerned. Biggest obstacles are time and place (cleaning out the garage).

maybe try BIAB?

#15 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:19 AM

maybe try BIAB?

I have a big pot. Might do that.

#16 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 12:46 PM

The great garage cleaning of 2018 has commenced. I'd have got rid of 3 huge appliances that are dead if it wasn't for those meddling kids! Well, at least if it wasn't pouring rain. By gods I will have room to brew in that garage by the end of next weekend!

#17 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 May 2018 - 01:24 PM

I've been using this as an alternative to a second chest freezer for fermenting and I love it...https://www.brewjack...eating-cooling/

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 May 2018 - 02:20 PM

I've been using this as an alternative to a second chest freezer for fermenting and I love it...https://www.brewjack...eating-cooling/

phew!  that is spendy!  I could buy a chest freezer for that much.

#19 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 May 2018 - 03:20 PM

phew!  that is spendy!  I could buy a chest freezer for that much.

yep, but for me this thing is perfect.  Don't have room for another chest freezer.  Also don't have to set up a freezer with a controller and heater.

#20 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:59 PM

I had a big dual door fridge for storing kegs that went bad and then I nice upright commercial freezer that shit the bed. Add in my washing machine that died a couple weeks ago and I have about 100 square feet of dead space in the garage that needs rectifying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users