8 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53909 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:08 AM

The other day I switched out an empty keg and when I took the gas-in QD off, I heard a rush of gas. Sometimes it's the poppet on the keg no closing properly in which case I just hit it with my finger and it closes. But that wasn't the case this time... it was the threaded gas-in QD and apparently it was not closing properly. I assume that a new one will resolve the problem but I have never seen this. What is happening... something inside the QD that is supposed to close is not working or what? I closed the tank itself, reconnected everything and turned the tank back on and that keg is pouring okay but I need to get to the LHBS and get a new gas-in QD, I think. Thoughts?

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:10 AM

Do you take your QD apart to clean and lube?  Sounds like the spring is sticking inside the QD.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53909 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:51 AM

Do you take your QD apart to clean and lube?  Sounds like the spring is sticking inside the QD.

No. I have never taken a QD apart before. Unscrew the top/lid and check it out before getting a new one?

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:04 AM

I would do that. I have found mold and hop particles in beer out ones so I take them apart and clean often.

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:11 AM

I would do that. I have found mold and hop particles in beer out ones so I take them apart and clean often.

Yeah the beer out ones get cleaned frequently here.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:23 AM

I disassemble and reassemble every time. Better safe than sorry.

#7 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:44 AM

No. I have never taken a QD apart before. Unscrew the top/lid and check it out before getting a new one?

Listen to the new podcast.  I cover how what you can'r see can ruin your beer, including dissembling QDs.  I take my QDs and cobra taps apart for cleaning every time a keg empties.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53909 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:48 AM

Okay, thanks gang. I've never had a gas QD act up on me so this will be new. Cheers.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:02 PM

Listen to the new podcast. I cover how what you can'r see can ruin your beer, including dissembling QDs. I take my QDs and cobra taps apart for cleaning every time a keg empties.

I've only just started taking apart the qd and Cobra taps. I always took apart the kegs before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users