#1 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:05 AM

I'm getting pretty ticked at my kegs lately; I've lost 2 5lb CO2 tanks in the last month. Ready to rebuild all 14 kegs-PR valves, post and lid o rings and poppets. What's the most economic way/place to buy such things in bulk?

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:11 AM

I would just do this for the PRV and lid io-ring.  I think it will be cheaper overall since those PRVs get pricey

https://www.homebrew...ded_p_1415.html

I buy all my o-rings at mcmaster carr by the 100's.  I think the FAQ may have the part numbers.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:12 AM

Do you use keg lube? I had leaky kegs until I lubed up the large o-ring every time I clean it and things have been much, much smoother.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:27 AM

Also, if you are leaking at the lid I think Williams brewing has oversized lid o-rings that would work to seal better.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:55 AM

Do you use keg lube? I had leaky kegs until I lubed up the large o-ring every time I clean it and things have been much, much smoother.

All greased up and ready to enter!

https://youtu.be/DO7pTQ6Nuy8

#6 TAPPER

TAPPER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationStratford, WI

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:33 AM

Why spend all the money to rebuild everything instead of just finding the leak(s)?

And you're attacking the kegs, but it could be the CO2 lines.  Could be a lot of work for nothing.  I always start by dropping my CO2 couplers in a bucket of water and watch for bubbles.  Star san all connections at the CO2 tank end and watch for bubbles.

One time I found a leak for a friend and it ended up being a crack in the back of the gas gauge!  Before you replace what may be perfectly good parts I would track the leak.

#7 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:14 PM

Im actually one those guys that breaks down a keg each time it kicks, clean and grease up all the rubber parts.

#8 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:19 PM

Why spend all the money to rebuild everything instead of just finding the leak(s)?

And you're attacking the kegs, but it could be the CO2 lines. Could be a lot of work for nothing. I always start by dropping my CO2 couplers in a bucket of water and watch for bubbles. Star san all connections at the CO2 tank end and watch for bubbles.

One time I found a leak for a friend and it ended up being a crack in the back of the gas gauge! Before you replace what may be perfectly good parts I would track the leak.

Thats an angle I haven't considered. Im tired of having these non typical leak sources. This morning, i was moving a keg, disconnect the gas QD, and the poppit never sealed: *pffttttttttttt*

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:19 PM

Im actually one those guys that breaks down a keg each time it kicks, clean and grease up all the rubber parts.

Mmm. Aside from making sure the PRV port is secured down tight and the large o-ring is greased up, I have nothing else. I do feel your pain because I have lost full tanks of CO2 before and it's very frustrating. But it always came down to my kegs (no other part of the system) and some of them showed signs more than others so they were taken apart, cleaned up, lubed up and then charged up empty and left to sit for months and they still held pressure. Good luck, I hope you find it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users