21 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 03:12 AM

At what point is buying grain in bulk worth it? So no one gets in trouble, how many hypothetical gallons of beer do you make in a year so this is worth it? I assume you guys pretty much only buy base grains in bulk (2-row, maris otter, munich, pilsner, etc.) and then buy smaller amounts of specialty grains. How much cash do you bulk grain buyers estimate you save per 5 gallon batch?

#2 Kansan

Kansan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 11 April 2009 - 04:39 AM

The Lawrence Brewers Guild does quite a few grain buys a year. See Blktre's thread to get an idea https://www.brews-br...?showtopic=1071. The savings on the grain is over 1/2 off retail when buying in bulk (usually a pallet or more at a time). If you brew at a rate of two ten gallon batches a month then buying bulk base malt most definitely makes sense. The advantage of group bulk-buying in the specialty grains is the numbers. Who needs 50 pounds of black patent, or special B? But when you split that bag 4 or 5 ways it becomes much more manageable, and cost effective. So for cost-- a little over 1/2 is saved by buying bulk. Hops is another story. By the ounce expensive. By the pound much cheaper. By the 5 pounds-- much, much cheaper. Just getting together with a half dozen brewers and going in on hops will save even more on a batch of beer.

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 04:43 AM

The Lawrence Brewers Guild does quite a few grain buys a year. See Blktre's thread to get an idea https://www.brews-br...?showtopic=1071. The savings on the grain is over 1/2 off retail when buying in bulk (usually a pallet or more at a time). If you brew at a rate of two ten gallon batches a month then buying bulk base malt most definitely makes sense. The advantage of group bulk-buying in the specialty grains is the numbers. Who needs 50 pounds of black patent, or special B? But when you split that bag 4 or 5 ways it becomes much more manageable, and cost effective. So for cost-- a little over 1/2 is saved by buying bulk. Hops is another story. By the ounce expensive. By the pound much cheaper. By the 5 pounds-- much, much cheaper. Just getting together with a half dozen brewers and going in on hops will save even more on a batch of beer.

So far this year I've made 5 5 gallon batches and #6 is coming up soon. This will slow down a lot though once it gets warmer and won't pick back up again until fall.

#4 MoreAmmoPlz

MoreAmmoPlz

Comptroller of Ivory Powers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2165 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:15 AM

If we could get the Michigan group buy (hint, hint) together I'd be able to save $7-12 a batch. With an average of two batches a month I'd be able to knock a couple hundred dollars off my brewing costs over the course of a year.

Edited by OprFilth, 11 April 2009 - 05:16 AM.

#5 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29302 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:17 AM

I buy grain by the sack from a brewpub, I only buy base grain from them. I normally only have 1 sack MO and Pils on hand, I think they are right around $35-$40 a sack the pils is cheaper than the MO. The price has gone up it use to be in the $25-30 range. I have also purchased Munich and Wheat from them but I need to have a plan in mind to use them in a reasonable amount of time. The only problem is this limits me to the brands they buy, best pils, and TF MO but to me that isn'rt a big deal.There is another brewery that uses briess american 2row as a base malt if I wanted to buy aa sack he would sell it to me.I don't really have the storage space for buying a pallet at the time, nor do I go thru it fast enough. But I think you should be buying it by the sack rather than the lb.I buy my specialty grains from the LHBS, I normally go in 1x or 2x a year and buy 3-5lbs of a variety of grains. Crystal 10, 30, 60, 90, 120, roasted barley, special b, chocolate, black patent, biscuit, aromatic, carafa, caramunich etc. I don't do a good job having a plan knowing what I will end up brewing. I think they run about 1.50 per lb. I was once given a sack of crystal 30 it took forever to go thru it and i eneded up modify a bunch of recipes to use crystal 30.

#6 Cliff Claven

Cliff Claven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:23 AM

You sound like a good candidate for buying a sack or 2 of base malts. The problem is the shipping. If you only buy one bag, the shipping cost will eat up most of the savings. The real saving is the group buys on a pallet. Then you are able to spit bags of other items like Kansan said.

#7 Cliff Claven

Cliff Claven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:34 AM

https://www.countrymaltgroup.com/I'm to lazy right now to see how close to Champlain NY you are. If you are in the area you can pick the items up at the warehouse.

#8 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19219 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:49 AM

Like Sidney, I buy sacks of base grain but from the LHBS. Usually I just do Pale and Pils malt, but I bought wheat and Munich a while back. Never really got around to doing all the German wheat and bocks I had planned. :devil: I then buy specialty grain usually 1-5 lbs at a time, depending. What's nice about having some inventory is you can basically brew whatever you want without running to the store or ordering. Or even worse, have to change the brew day because the store doesn't have something in stock.

#9 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28455 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:38 AM

I'm in the buy a sack of base malt when you need it camp. It saves me some money because they charge me less per pound and I'll eventually use it all up. Currently I have on hand a 2row (probably only 10lb left, I'll get another since this is my main grain), a fresh bag of marris otter, pilsner (purchased for some specific beers but a good basemalt available whenever I want it), vienna (needed a lot for a vienna lager, now I just have the extra on hand whenever a recipe calls for it). Then I usually buy my specialty grains as needed so when I hit the store for supplies on a recipe coming up it usually end up only spending $10 or such.If there was a big group buy around me I'd likely throw down for ~4sacks of basemalt grain but still buy my specialty stuff as needed. I've done the buy 5 lb of various specialty malt thing and use as needed but it doesn't save me money, I have to inventory it, etc. I find it just easier to hit the LHBS shops in the area. If I didn't have 3 close by then I'd perhaps think differently.

#10 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:25 AM

I think it's always worth it unless you're only going to make a few batches a year. If nothing else, if you also keep a stock of specialty malts and hops around, it means that you can brew without a lot of planning. Example, I woke up this morning and decided to make an impy stout tomorrow. I have a yeast cake of 1098 (probably not the ideal candidate for a big beer but oh well), a freezer full of hops and a tub of Weyermann pale malt so I'm good to go.

#11 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25625 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:54 AM

No doubt, you can save money. Along with buying sacks of grain you need to buy a grain mill. The savings on first couple/few/several bags of grain go towards paying for the mill to break even. I will let you do the math.With a mill you get more control over the entire brewing process. So that is a plus.For me, saving a few bucks per batch is not worth getting into logistics of grain storage. Ordering, receiving, space, freshness, mills, bugs, etc, I let my LHBS be in the grain storage and grain milling business. If I brewed more, I would reconsider my opinion, but brewing 1-2 per month, I do not mind paying as I go.Just my take on it.zymot

#12 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47988 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:41 AM

Just buying bags from the LHBS locally saves me at least $3 or $4 per batch. It also let's me brew on whim to some extent, although I'm pretty limited on what these whim brews could be because I don't keep many specialties around.

#13 boo boo

boo boo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationHeart's Delight, Newfoundland

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:59 AM

Malt supply is sporatic here so I tend to accumulate grain as I can get it.Right now I have 6 sacks of base grain and about 20 Lbs of various specialtymalts and adjunts.

#14 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35392 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:04 PM

How do you guys store the malt? I would be afraid of bugs and such getting in...

#15 CoastieSteve

CoastieSteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:15 PM

I found that a bag of 2 row usually lasts me about 7or so 5 gal batches, or about 2 to 3 months and saves me at least $5/batch due to the lack of a LHBS that has a decent supply of grains. After NB sent me 3 kits of barely crushed malts, I bought my own mill and have had a blast with creating my own recipes and crushing the grain to my liking. The convenience as Mtn said above is absolutely true. I store mine in a plastic tub in my garage that has these handles that snap the lid down tight. It holds more than a 50 lb grain bag. It was sold as a bulk dog food storage bin.

#16 Mashman

Mashman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationGunnison CO

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:27 PM

How do you guys store the malt? I would be afraid of bugs and such getting in...

I mostly store mine in the bag in a closet at room temperature. Most of the bags I get have an additional plastic liner inside. I find that this keeps the malt fresh throughout my brew season. I have never had a problem with weavils or any other pests.Mashman

#17 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:48 PM

If someone is only going to brew a few 10g batches per year, then i probably wouldn't buy bulk unless there is a club in my area that continually purchases pallets through out the year. Then tossing on a sak or two of base on a pallet is definitely worth it. Then purchase specialties separately from your LHBS. Luckily as noted by Kansan, LBG always has a club bulk order going year round. We now have enough brewers that know what kind of specialty they want and can easily find a few folks to split with. Whats nice about this is there is also a nice trade factor going on as somebody in the club always has something you need and dont have and vice versa. So specialty trades happen all the time. A few i keep around are.CaraMunich 40, 60, and 80. Ive found I prefer these in most my beers vs a Crystal of the same Lovibond. These are easily traded for Carastan or even Roasted Barley. I also keep around 20-25# of Melenoidin. There are also decent sub's for other types of Specialties you find at the LHBS that can be bought bulk. And because we have a good thing going, its rare I head out and purchase elsewhere. In a sense, this does not support our LHBS. But we still buy yeast and some equipment from them and always send new brewers their way. With the volume Ive brewed in the past, there was just no way i could afford to buy saks from my LHBS. Our local Brew Pub's wont sell bulk to use either.I keep mine stored in air tight 14g open head drums. We came upon a lot of about 100 of these used for a few bucks each. Alot of them became fermenters and alot of them became grain storage. Long story short, buying bulk is defiantly worth it if you plan on have 2 taps running pretty much full time year round. Add some friends and family to those taps and you will find you will either become a tight ass, or start buying bulk.

#18 Yeasty Boy

Yeasty Boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationFt Collins

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:48 PM

I can move a sack of MO and a sack of Pilsner in way less than a year. I could probably move two MO's, a pils and a sack of Munich a year with no problems.When you get into buying large amounts of specialty malts, it's too easy to start designing beers around your stock, which is NOT what homebrewing is about!(For the record, I only do about 90g a year - way under the limit.)

#19 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47988 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:39 PM

I store my grains in 30 gallon rubbermaid trash cans. No problem so far.

#20 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:50 PM

I store mine in these: https://www.usplasti.....duct_id=17425

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users