#1 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:33 PM

Anybody use on of these?  Any tips or comments?

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:40 PM

Looks nice other than the 120v and 1600 watts. That is going to be slooooow to heat up.

#3 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:54 PM

Looks nice other than the 120v and 1600 watts. That is going to be slooooow to heat up.

Yeah, I'm used to that with the Grainfather.  Most often with the GF, I'll do a mash in it, then pump to my converted keg to boil.  The Mash & Boil is kinda a cheaped out version of the GF.  Lighter construction and no pump.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:32 PM

AHEM!

#5 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:36 PM

;)

A guy in my club has one so I asked him. I also put some water in to boil a while ago.  Takes a LONG time.  Apparently you should expect a 6 degree variation in mash temp (+/-3F).  Lets a fair amount of grain through the mash screen.  Temp hard to control.  I'll actually use it soon and see for myself.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:42 PM

In that thread I posted about the length of time to get to mash temp and boil temp and they seemed reasonable but Drez (being the electric guy here) said the numbers seemed low. I probably wouldn't go this route anyway but I like to keep my options open and one day I may be looking for simpler beer production.

#7 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:54 PM

OK, it took an hour and 15 min. to go from 56F to 210F.

In that thread I posted about the length of time to get to mash temp and boil temp and they seemed reasonable but Drez (being the electric guy here) said the numbers seemed low. I probably wouldn't go this route anyway but I like to keep my options open and one day I may be looking for simpler beer production.

Frankly, if you want to go simpler, skip this and get a Grainfather.  So far, it seems well work the extra $$.  Especially with all the new stuff that GF is rolling out.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 04:27 PM

OK, it took an hour and 15 min. to go from 56F to 210F.

Frankly, if you want to go simpler, skip this and get a Grainfather.  So far, it seems well work the extra $$.  Especially with all the new stuff that GF is rolling out.

An hour and 15 minutes is not acceptable. That would drive me insane. Well, more insane. :D

#9 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 April 2018 - 08:50 AM

I'm planning on my inaugural brew with the M&B tomorrow.  I'll let you know how it goes.

#10 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 29 April 2018 - 12:21 PM

There are a couple of reviews of it on you tube. 2 of the 3 really liked it. One tricked out out with a pump and concluded that outs only good for 3 gallon batches. The other 2 were impressed with it.

#11 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 29 April 2018 - 12:41 PM

There are a couple of reviews of it on you tube. 2 of the 3 really liked it. One tricked out out with a pump and concluded that outs only good for 3 gallon batches. The other 2 were impressed with it.

I'm using it totally stock since I have to report on how it really is without mods.  If I didn't, I'd hook my pump up to it.  I've heard others say it's only good for 3 gal. batches and I can't figure out why.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users