#1 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20066 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:47 PM

Pondering ideas for a rapidly deploying/take down stock for a small 22lr rifle I'd like to setup for my backpack while keeping the weight low.  Looking to avoid having to thread/unthread anything, deal with pins, etc.  For legality purposes the stock folded needs to cover the trigger assembly (otherwise its a short barreled rifle if it can fire when folded).

I was thinking some 1" aluminum tube with a hinge on the bottom (recess slot for the trigger) would be slick if it can lock up at the joint decently.  I was wondering if something like a pair of 15lb pulling strength rare earth magnets might do the trick (the joint should mostly be tension).  Obviously can't beat on this assembly but if it would hold decently stable it would likely serve my purposes and make for quick break down.  If the flush ends aren't stable enough I can recess the joint into one of the pieces (with a protruding insert from the other piece) to add a bit of stability.

Anyone with magnet experience have any opinion if this would potentially fly before I go ordering some magnets to experiment with?

Anyone have other ideas I'm overlooking?

wCpwUvYl.jpg

#2 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35102 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:50 PM

Velcro?

#3 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20066 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:59 PM

Need it to lock up firmer than Velcro. ;)

#4 pickle_rick

pickle_rick

Comptroller of <non-pr0n> pr0n

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36139 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:06 PM

I think that would be a lot of torque on those magnets. How do pro made versions of this sort of thing work? Any ideas you could steal?

#5 Lee in Texas

Lee in Texas

Comptroller of Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1504 posts
  • Locationnear Austin, Texas

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:15 PM

Serious question: how does stock configuration make something a short barreled rifle? Not being a smartass. I just don't know the answer.

#6 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20066 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:20 PM

Full assembly is like 22" and is 2lb so technically if held by the rear only and the magnets were centered in 1" tube there would be 44lb of pull force I believe, but I wouldn't carry it by the rear.  Just need to lock up decently and self support the rear end.  My trigger hand would be around the joint area and fore hand up on the barrel.

There isn't a commercial offering for this specific thing otherwise I'd buy it. :P

Rifle regulations require a 16+" barrel and an overall length of the weapon.  Technically it wouldn't be a short barreled rifle but the same provision that deals with short barreled rifles also has clauses for "too short" of a rifle but I forget the exact phrase for that.  Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by pods8, 17 April 2018 - 01:19 PM.

#7 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20066 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:24 PM

Back up thought is those push button springs used in telescoping poles in an insert assembly (I'd need to remove some of the top of one of the tubes to allow the insert to swing into place on the radius).

#8 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20066 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:28 PM

"Short-barreled rifle (SBR) is a legal designation in the United States, referring to a shoulder-fired, rifled firearm, made from a rifle, with a barrel length of less than 16 in (41 cm) or overall length of less than 26 in (66 cm), or a handgun fitted with a buttstock and a barrel of less than 16 inches length. In the United States, an SBR is an item regulated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) as a Title II weapon. In the absence of local laws prohibiting ownership, American civilians may own an SBR provided it is registered with the BATFE, and a $200 tax is paid prior to taking possession of or creating the firearm."

Wiki summary, I guess it is called a SBR still if merely too short overall.

Folding/break down weapons don't violate this if they can't fire in their broken down configuration, so a removable rear stock would violate this since it could be fired with the stock removed still.  Thus I want it to fold and cover the trigger.

#9 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24836 posts
  • Locationthe atomic city

Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:09 PM

I would put the hinge on each side of the stock in a yoke type configuration, so it still rotates like you want it to.  And then secure the assembly with a pin immediately behind the barrel.

#10 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24836 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:14 PM

If you knew someone with a 3D printer....  

#11 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20066 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:18 PM

The more I dwell I'm thinking an insert with push bottom spring retainer (or whatever those are called) protruding from one piece than rotates into the end of the other (which will need to be turned into a channel) is likely a more robust route yet still would be quick acting.

I would put the hinge on each side of the stock in a yoke type configuration, so it still rotates like you want it to.  And then secure the assembly with a pin immediately behind the barrel.

I need it to cover the trigger when folded, also the yoke mode doesn't allow for an angle (it'd hit the barrel when folded).

#12 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3603 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:28 PM

How about if there was an insert in the stock that rotated with pins or lugs that engage in matching slots?

240px-Bayonet-mount-01.svg.png

#13 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20066 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:28 PM

Keep in mind it’s on a hinge on the bottom (or something similar) so that the folded stock covers the trigger or on some other manner inherently disables it from firing. If not it’s illegal.

#14 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24836 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:23 PM

The more I dwell I'm thinking an insert with push bottom spring retainer (or whatever those are called) protruding from one piece than rotates into the end of the other (which will need to be turned into a channel) is likely a more robust route yet still would be quick acting.

I need it to cover the trigger when folded, also the yoke mode doesn't allow for an angle (it'd hit the barrel when folded).

What I'm talking about could cover the trigger.  PM me an email addy, I'll try to sketch out what I have in mind.

#15 miccullen

miccullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60428 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:48 PM

https://www.gunbroke.../item/754949121

#16 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19677 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:56 PM

Need it to lock up firmer than Velcro. ;)

search industrial velco there is some strong stuff

#17 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:27 PM

What about the chiappa little badger folding rifle?

#18 miccullen

miccullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60428 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:32 PM

What about the chiappa little badger folding rifle?

I linked one above

#19 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20066 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:50 PM

Velcro doesn’t lock up hard.

The chiappa I looked at, it’s heavier and also folds to a widish V shape. The barreled action I want to use is the savage rascal and I want to keep it moderately straight when folded to stuff into a pack sleeve.

#20 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27816 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:56 PM

What's your weight limit? Or ballpark?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users