35 replies to this topic

#1 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27218 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:00 PM

My daughter's iPhone 7 is about 18 months old and over the weekend it went into a "boot loop". She took it to an Apple store and they told her that it cannot be fixed. But I'm paying for the phone over 24 months so I still owe 6 months of payments on a phone that's dead. Apple offered to sell her a new phone for half price but Verizon would still want to charge me for the six months. The other option was Verizon offering to sell her a refurbed phone for $150 which she did. But I still owe the six months on the dead phone. The lifespan of the phone was not long enough to pay for it over 24 months. Does it seem reasonable that no one wants to do anything about the failed device but they all want their money? Also, when you get a phone through a cell company and you have problems with the phone, do you go to the cell company who you bought it through or the manufacturer?

#2 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19210 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:04 PM

auto loans are often 60 months. But the warranty is often only 36 months

#3 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35205 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:05 PM

First they feck you wit the cell phones!

#4 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19210 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:05 PM

When I had phone issues we want to Verizon but apple seems different than Android

#5 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5650 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:08 PM

Had that happen with my previous Android. Sucks.

#6 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19210 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:09 PM

We have 3 or 4 old smart phones lying around. We would reactivate one of them

#7 japh

japh

Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10422 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:16 PM

Pay upfront for the phone, use a card that increases the warranty.

#8 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27218 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:18 PM

I'm the only one in the family with an Android... LG G6 and I really like it. These phones are not cheap and the Apple 7s are expensive especially with the 128gb storage... like $800. An $800 phone can't last more than 18 months? WTF is going on here? It makes me super stabby. :stabby:

#9 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

Comptroller of Flying Ducks

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9876 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:25 PM

Applecare?  I haven't had an iPhone since the 3GS, but I thought Applecare covered damn near everything.

#10 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27218 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:28 PM

Not sure about AppleCare as I'm not into Apple-anything. I know Verizon has an insurance plan but the Apple products are like $21 a month or something. That would raise my monthly bill $84 to cover the four Apple phones on our policy. Feck that shit! :D

#11 Humperdink

Humperdink

President of Apples

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15781 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:43 PM

nope, screw that noise. I'll take my android. And wasn't there something in the news not long ago about apple designing their equipment to only have a life for so long. #### apple. I keep telling my family, but no one wants to listen to cose.

Edited by Humperdink, 16 April 2018 - 02:44 PM.

#12 japh

japh

Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10422 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:48 PM

Yeah, I might replace my $200 Motorola phone at the 2 year mark for another one, but only because I want something faster.  It works just fine. 

#13 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8340 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:51 PM

nope, screw that noise. I'll take my android. And wasn't there something in the news not long ago about apple designing their equipment to only have a life for so long. #### apple. I keep telling my family, but no one wants to listen to cose.

I'm an Android user and prefer them, but plenty of Android phones crap out in less than 2 years, too, many for the same issue.

Apple tends to support their phones longer than most Android manufacturers/sellers - see in particular, Google. My Nexus 6P, which is still a great phone, will no longer receive security updates after this fall, only a three year life.

#14 Humperdink

Humperdink

President of Apples

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15781 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:55 PM

I've had my S6 for a few years. Still runs like a champ. N=1 I guess

#15 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27218 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:00 PM

My daughter is in a critical spot right now because she's about to graduate from Indiana, she has a lot of things happening with school and she's also interviewing. She needs a phone. Some of her online homework assignments have a sort of 'dual login' where a security code is sent to her phone which allows her to login on her notebook so being without a phone is not an option. Of course, people like Apple and Verizon know this all too well. They know that people can't be without a phone (well, some people) and that they'll just pay whatever they need to so they can get back on it. It's pretty frustrating.

#16 japh

japh

Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10422 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:03 PM

I'm an Android user and prefer them, but plenty of Android phones crap out in less than 2 years, too, many for the same issue.

Apple tends to support their phones longer than most Android manufacturers/sellers - see in particular, Google. My Nexus 6P, which is still a great phone, will no longer receive security updates after this fall, only a three year life.

In the end, the problem is less Android vs iOS as it's paying installments via the cell company vs. buying with a card that doubles the year warranty.  Then, this phone would still be under the CC's extended warranty, and at least could get the cash back for buying it (to buy a new one right away). 

#17 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8340 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:16 PM

In the end, the problem is less Android vs iOS as it's paying installments via the cell company vs. buying with a card that doubles the year warranty. Then, this phone would still be under the CC's extended warranty, and at least could get the cash back for buying it (to buy a new one right away).

True, I always forget about the warranty protections with my credit card, though I don't know if I've had a good case where I could have used it.

#18 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3196 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:17 PM

My HTC crapped out a few years ago. I went to the AT&T store and the guy tried teling me that ther was just apple and Samsung. I went over by the pay-as-you-go stuff and asked him if any of those would work. He started to balk, but then sold me an LG for $85. It's been going strong for three years so far. I don't know what kind of magic a new iphone must be able to do that would make it worth much more.

#19 japh

japh

Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10422 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:18 PM

True, I always forget about the warranty protections with my credit card, though I don't know if I've had a good case where I could have used it.

I've had electronics with a 1-year warranty die at 13 months.  <_<

#20 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27218 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:18 PM

Remember too that there are 5 people in our family so $800 x 4 = $3200 (iPhones) and then my phone was maybe $500 or $600. I like the idea of the extended warranty but $4k (ish) on the credit card is not without its peril either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users