13 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:44 AM

I have two small (4.4cf) fridges in my beer bunker both of which serve two kegs each. I have a small fridge for lager primary and an old-school, large GENERAL ELECTRIC fridge as my 'on-deck' fridge which is probably using entirely too much electricity (not sure of the capacity). There is an 18cf Frigidaire fridge/freezer in the bar that has been acting unusual... water dripping occasionally into the fridge, some of it ending up on the bottom, etc. I told my wife about it and she thought we should consider another fridge for the bar. So swap out the old-school GE and replace it with the old bar fridge just for energy savings? I would have to retrofit the bar fridge with a new door liner and build a shelf like I did with the old-school model. Or just punt the old bar fridge, get a new one and leave the old-timer back there? Honestly, getting that old school fridge out of there would be the suck.

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:00 AM

I'm having a hard time following here. If the freezer is the thing that seems like it's going to maybe die why are you not talking about getting rid of it but instead getting rid of another fridge and giving the freezer a new job.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:44 AM

The bar fridge just has some type of water issue where it drips occasionally. It runs fine but it doesn't make a good bar fridge because someone goes in there for a beer and water has dripped all over the shelves, etc. I don't think it's about to die but my wife wants to replace it. That gives me TWO full-sized fridges but I really only need one so do I keep the 1970s version I've been using as my "on-deck" fridge or use this newer (maybe 2000-2002) fridge as my on-deck fridge?

#4 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:57 PM

If you have a really old fridge that just flat out works but isn't terribly efficient, keep it. It's worth the $20/yr extra. 

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:56 AM

If you have a really old fridge that just flat out works but isn't terribly efficient, keep it. It's worth the $20/yr extra. 

that's a good point.  I'd probably keep it until it breaks.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:32 AM

Yeah, the old fridge just runs. No clue how old it really is but I got it from a used appliance place at least 15 years ago. It was $50. If it's only $20 in juice per year or so, it wouldn't be worth the effort to switch these two. Plus, the old one is larger... not sure by how much but it's larger which is better. Cheers & thanks.

#7 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:01 AM

Might be a dumb question, but the leaky fridge, is it hooked up to water? or is the water from like thawing ice or condensation. 

If it's hooked up to water, I'd probably un hook it and just make ice by hand, but I'm super cheap...and I wouldn't want to move a full sized fridge out of your basement! haha

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:18 AM

Might be a dumb question, but the leaky fridge, is it hooked up to water? or is the water from like thawing ice or condensation. 

If it's hooked up to water, I'd probably un hook it and just make ice by hand, but I'm super cheap...and I wouldn't want to move a full sized fridge out of your basement! haha

No water. It must be a cycling thing where the temp slightly raises and there is some thaw or something. It's annoying and sometimes the water that falls on the top shelf will actually freeze because it's closer to the freezer. Other times I'll notice some water under the bottom drawers and I'll wipe it up. It's not catastrophic and it would not bother me if I used it for brewing but it's clearly not operating as it once did. As for moving it, I hear you. I would not be the one moving a new one in or the old one out and either way it's going to happen if my wife wants a new fridge in the bar area. It's just a matter of which of the 2 big fridges is going bye-bye.

#9 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:23 AM

hmm. I hear ya. I'm kind of inclined to keep the old one if it's still working well. If the new one is having issues, i'd get rid of that. At least you get a new one too!

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:58 AM

hmm. I hear ya. I'm kind of inclined to keep the old one if it's still working well. If the new one is having issues, i'd get rid of that. At least you get a new one too!

Right. You know how it goes with brewers and fridges though... you're always on the lookout. If I see a fridge at the curb my eyes immediately open wide even if I don't need it. It's a sickness. :lol:

#11 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:00 PM

Always on the lookout is right. I just snagged a great looking chest freezer for $20! Keezer, here I come!

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:11 PM

Always on the lookout is right. I just snagged a great looking chest freezer for $20! Keezer, here I come!

w00t!

#13 Merlinwerks

Merlinwerks

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationWestern PA

Posted 20 April 2018 - 05:01 PM

For a long time I would occasionally find water on my kitchen floor, it was a real head scratcher. I finally discovered that the drain in the fridge from the freezer where it empties into a tray under the fridge to evaporate after a defrost cycle was blocked and it would drain onto the floor. Maybe worth looking in to...

Edited by Merlinwerks, 20 April 2018 - 05:02 PM.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 April 2018 - 06:37 AM

For a long time I would occasionally find water on my kitchen floor, it was a real head scratcher. I finally discovered that the drain in the fridge from the freezer where it empties into a tray under the fridge to evaporate after a defrost cycle was blocked and it would drain onto the floor. Maybe worth looking in to...

good tip there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users