Had to spring for a new grain mill last week, as my Barley Crusher of 12 years finally bit the dust.
I knew I was in trouble when I was prepping for a brewday last week (which got postponed to today). Went to weigh out and crush the grains, when I discovered that my cat threw up in my grain mill.
So, needing to clean the BC out, I tried to take the plate off the mill (that holds the rollers in place), and one of the screwheads sheared right off, so I couldn't get the screw out and take the mill apart for cleaning. Feckity feck feck feck.
So, I ordered a new BC, and this thing runs like a top; the old one always seemed a bit "off": the rollers never turned very easily, were rather wobbly, and the knurling had worn down considerably, to where milling grain for brewday was a major PITA.
The new BC, tho, ate the grain like a starving man at a banquet; had to tighten the roller gap after the first pass (grain didn't look quite crushed enough), but IMO that's par for the course with a new mill.
First brewday with the new mill is underway, and this mash-in was noticeably better than others in recent memory: no doughballs, at all, which I will chalk up to a better crush than I'd been getting.