Area Man

Comptroller of Geometry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9141 posts
  • LocationAbilizzle

Posted 08 April 2018 - 06:17 PM

Well, something happened and my post didn't show up. So here goes again:

Besides a beer I did with California Common yeast, this will be my first true lager. I tried my hand at a helles today.

8lbs Pilsner
2lbs Plumage Archer
.5lbs wheat

Hallertauer and Tettnanger to approx. 20 IBU. 

Had a fantastic brewday....40 minute fly sparge, 90 minute boil, good music, good friends. Got it to 58 with groundwater, and will pitch a healthy dose of 34/70 once it hits 48.

Can't wait to pull a liter of this!

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 07:00 PM

Nice. Did you just get a new fridge or other way to ferment cooler or did you just not have a desire to make a lager until now? Also, what is Plumage Archer? Never heard of it. Cheers and I hope it comes out just as you envision.

Mmm, a bit of Google-Fu:

Plumage Archer is a historical barley variety, first bred in 1905 and revived by Crisp Malting Group as part of their Heritage Malt line. It was created by crossing Plumage, a Danish landrace, with Old English Archer and went on to dominate UK malt production for much of the 20th century. Known as a broad-eared variety with “large grains of excellent malting quality,” it is an ancestor of Maris Otter.

This seems reasonable considering a number of people have been using some type of 'pale ale malt' in their helles lately and reporting good results.

#3 Area Man

Area Man

Comptroller of Geometry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9141 posts
  • LocationAbilizzle

Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:26 PM

My fermentation fridge can only hold one, so I've always been loathe to let one sit that long. I typically brew every 2-3 weeks. But I have a number of projects that have been on the back burner for a while, so I figured this would be a good time to try a couple while I'm doing other stuff, esp. while our ground water is relatively cool. It gets into the 80s in the summer.

Plumage Archer is interesting...I bought a sack on a whim. It's quite "grainy," and leaves a distinctive flavor behind. Not one I'll buy in quantity again. I only used it here because I only had 8lbs of Pilsner, and the only other base malt I had was Golden Promise.

#4 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 09 April 2018 - 06:10 PM

Cool, I need to do one again.  It's been a long time.

#5 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 09 April 2018 - 06:32 PM

My fermentation fridge can only hold one, so I've always been loathe to let one sit that long. I typically brew every 2-3 weeks. But I have a number of projects that have been on the back burner for a while, so I figured this would be a good time to try a couple while I'm doing other stuff, esp. while our ground water is relatively cool. It gets into the 80s in the summer.

Plumage Archer is interesting...I bought a sack on a whim. It's quite "grainy," and leaves a distinctive flavor behind. Not one I'll buy in quantity again. I only used it here because I only had 8lbs of Pilsner, and the only other base malt I had was Golden Promise.

Sounds tasty.   I did a helles last fall that was a pils/Golden Promise blend along with some carahell.   It was really nice.

#6 Area Man

Area Man

Comptroller of Geometry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9141 posts
  • LocationAbilizzle

Posted 29 April 2018 - 04:44 PM

Fermented it at 50 F for a week, then ramped it up to around 65 over a week and a half for a two-day rest. Been at 40 F since.

Initial samples are good. Very clean, flavor leans toward malt sweetness, but still quite crisp. No corn, no sulphur. She’s at 38F and carbing up now. I see a hoppy Pils in my near future.

#7 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 01 May 2018 - 06:40 AM

AreaMan, definitely post final results with PIC's!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users