#41 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:13 AM

Tomorrow will be one week.

I would assume it is done.  Any way you can take and FG.  You have a diptube on there right.

#42 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:29 AM

I would assume it is done. Any way you can take and FG. You have a diptube on there right.

I can yes. I just wasn't going to do it until I was transferring. Are you suggesting I check gravity as I ferment? I guess I could do that in the future and just leave a picnic tap hooked up.

Edited by pickle_rick, 26 April 2018 - 06:31 AM.

#43 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16613 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:32 AM

Did you do an FFT?

#44 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:37 AM

I can yes. I just wasn't going to do it until I was transferring. Are you suggesting I check gravity as I ferment? I guess I could do that in the future and just leave a picnic tap hooked up.

That is what I like about fermenting in vessels like that, easy sampling to know what is going on as the beer ferments.

Did you do an FFT?

Maybe it is me but I have had issues with the FFT.  One was the fg not matching the actual batch and the second was it never finished that fast to actually help me especially when moving the beer for spunding.

#45 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:46 AM

Did you do an FFT?

What?

#46 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16613 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:52 AM

Fast ferment test. I agree drez that they can be a little tempermental. I think if they are routine and welll practiced they can be done well and accurately. Myself they (when I actually do one) are more a point of interest because I dont brew enough to dial in that well. I have had some success (small sample size) just racking to keg when the fermentation slows and keeping it warm to finish. But I ferment in glass so its very easy to see fermentation activity literally slowing down.

#47 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:01 AM

What?

On day 2 take a sample of about 250ML and let it ferment out in a flask or jar and then that, theoretically, should let you know what the bulk beer should finish at.

#48 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:19 AM

Oh yeah. I remember those. I would think my rough estimate of ending gravity based on experience would be enough for me to know when the beer is close to done.

Do you guys have any experience on how much pressure during earlier parts of the fermentation are okay?

#49 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16613 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:24 AM

None. Never fermented under pressure except at the end.

#50 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:26 AM

None. Never fermented under pressure except at the end.

Same for me.  I have only done it at the end and for dry-hopping.

#51 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:09 AM

I was thinking of putting the spunding valve at the end of my keg line to help ensure the lids on the cornies seal up. Although I didn't have a problem this time.

#52 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 April 2018 - 05:35 PM

So I couldn't quite get all of the beer into the kegs. The good news is that I can just serve out of the kegmentor until that's gone. It's a race to doing it by Friday I guess!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users