#1 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:26 AM

Do any of you Blewbs have experience with this strain? I’m making a blonde with mango and apricot, dry hopped with Cashmere. About 1.060. I’m hoping to get a relatively clean ferment, with subtle peachy or apricot esters. I’m open to other strain suggestions too, but how is 510?

#2 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 22 March 2018 - 06:23 PM

Its a relatively 'clean' strain for a Belgian yeast. I used it for a ESB and a dubbel; the ESB was fermented on the low end of temperature range (66f), the ester profile was pleasant and subtle: melon with a touch of tartness. The dubell was fermented warmer (72f) and more spice and fruit.

Overall, its a mild yeast compared to other strains. I liked using it.

#3 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 22 March 2018 - 06:47 PM

A buddy of mine said he didn’t care for it, that it was too phenolic. Kinda odd from your experience and from others I’ve read. I’m actually going to use a Kölsch yeast for this, but I think I’m going to do a pilot blonde with 510 just to see what it’s like.

#4 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:40 AM

Do any of you Blewbs have experience with this strain? I’m making a blonde with mango and apricot, dry hopped with Cashmere. About 1.060. I’m hoping to get a relatively clean ferment, with subtle peachy or apricot esters. I’m open to other strain suggestions too, but how is 510?

I had to check my notes, never used it apparently. Sounds tasty, let us know how that yeast works out . I am using the 575 today, its worked well for my taste buds years ago. 

#5 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:11 AM

Maybe I’ll use it on a pilot eventually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users