19 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Green

Mike Green

Frequent Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3671 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:10 PM

whats the hop schedule adjustment for 30-minute boils? Divide time by 2? 

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:29 PM

whats the hop schedule adjustment for 30-minute boils? Divide time by 2?

I use a calculation for ibu. I just increase the 30 min addition until I get the ibus i want just like I used to do with 60 or 90 minute additions.

#3 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:37 PM

Same

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:44 PM

30 minute boil!! You are crazy!!!!

But seriously I let my spreadsheet tell me how much to use.  I have noticed if I was using 1 oz of 10% alpha at 60 I need to have about 1.5oz of the same hop at 30.

#5 EnkAMania

EnkAMania

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:39 AM

I'm going to try this for the first time this weekend.  

#6 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:51 AM

I've been doing 30 mins on and off for a while. I usually always do it with a FWH, so I use that as my "bittering" charge.

#7 Mike Green

Mike Green

Frequent Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3671 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:30 PM

I still can't wrap my head around this. On a 60 min boil

60 min= FWH

30 min = 2nd hop addition

20 min = 3rd hop addition

flame out = last hop addition

How would this work out for a 30 min boil?

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53920 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:36 PM

That schedule makes it tougher. Basically if you have a 20 IBU hop addition in your old 60-min boil, just figure out how big the hop addition needs to be for 20 IBUs for 30 minutes. Any hop additions made in the last 30 minutes can stay the way they are. If you have recipes with 45-min additions then you may have to make some adjustments to the recipe. The FWH can still go into the BK when you drain your first runnings. The 30m addition can go in at the start of the boil, the 20-min and flameout can stay right where they are. Rework the recipe and check total IBUs and make any adjustments. Most of my recipes used to be 60-min additions (bittering) and then later additions anywhere from 20-mins out to whirlpool.

#9 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 26 March 2018 - 04:49 PM

I’m not really seeing the confusion. It’s just less evaporation. Seems like every brewing software calculates IBU from how long hops are boiled. It’s just gonna be more hops for the same IBU. I feel like it’s wasted kettle space to use bittering hops anymore anyway. Extract baby!

#10 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 26 March 2018 - 05:13 PM

I still can't wrap my head around this. On a 60 min boil

60 min= FWH

30 min = 2nd hop addition

20 min = 3rd hop addition

flame out = last hop addition

How would this work out for a 30 min boil?

I treat FWH as a 20 minute addition, which works fine for a 30 minute boil at my place.

#11 Mike Green

Mike Green

Frequent Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3671 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 07:39 PM

Hop Time calculator 

https://www.hopstein...ibu-calculator/

#12 Mike Green

Mike Green

Frequent Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3671 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 05:28 PM

Brewed my Brown ale today. Man was that a butt kicker. 45 min mash and 30 min boil.I think I'm going to go to 45 min boils until I can get my brew chops back up to par. I was scrambling getting the hops ready and sanitizing the fermenting keg.I was fumbling around with my brew apps setting up hop timers, boil timer.It was a nice day out, the first sunburn of the year.I missed my numbers so I have to figure out what happened. going to brew again on Easter.  

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53920 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 06:07 PM

The 30m boil requires that you're somewhat prepared. I realized that the first time and adjusted along the way. I try to have as much done prior to brewing as possible and even though that requires more time early in the process, it makes things go smoother. Until I find a reason to stop doing 30m boils, I'll be doing them.

#14 Merlinwerks

Merlinwerks

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationWestern PA

Posted 29 March 2018 - 06:58 AM

Yep, I was inspired by you folks here to try 30 min boils and was surprised at how fast things seem to happen. The reality is that it shouldn't be a lot different than anything you have to do after 30 min with a longer boil, it just feels a little rushed. I'm sure it is something I would adjust to over time, but I backed off to 45 min as well and I am happy with that. I'm not looking to achieve the shortest brew day possible but the 30 min savings over my previous 75 min boils is kinda nice. I plan on continuing with the shorter boils moving forward except for the occasional +1.070 beer.

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:03 AM

Yep, I was inspired by you folks here to try 30 min boils and was surprised at how fast things seem to happen. The reality is that it shouldn't be a lot different than anything you have to do after 30 min with a longer boil, it just feels a little rushed. I'm sure it is something I would adjust to over time, but I backed off to 45 min as well and I am happy with that. I'm not looking to achieve the shortest brew day possible but the 30 min savings over my previous 75 min boils is kinda nice. I plan on continuing with the shorter boils moving forward except for the occasional +1.070 beer.

It does move quick that is for sure.  With some planning it is not that bad though.  I think for me it also helps that I have just a bittering addition and one around 5 minutes and the rest WP or dry hop.  I am sure that if I went to a a 60 minute boil now I would be lost :)

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53920 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:08 AM

Believe it or not, eventually you get used to the 30m boil and when there is 20m left to go I find myself standing near the BK tapping my foot like LET'S GO!! :D You just have to be ready so you're not running around like crazy during that 30 minutes.

#17 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:18 AM

mis-en-place

#18 EnkAMania

EnkAMania

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:35 AM

My gravity numbers were the same between end of mash and end of 30 minute boil.  In this case it was fine, as I hit my OG.  

#19 Mike Green

Mike Green

Frequent Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3671 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:38 AM

I had a few pieces of equipment fail that needed a quick repair. I normally have things ready to go. The time between the strike water heating up and during the mash is when I get the hops ready. I only have two hop additions,5 min, and 25 min after the boil starts.I plan on doing 30 min boils in the future.

#20 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 02 April 2018 - 09:39 AM

For my 20 min. boils I double the bittering hops and leave everything else the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users