#1 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:14 PM

should be brewing tomorrow, two row base,German Vienna,German Wheat.And Corn (whole kernel ,flash frozen, not butter) and Hallertau hops( i seem to have a lot of them)...I know its not style, but i'm going to balance the hops/ OG....I dropped the Light munich(it did not fit well)..

I used flaked maize, and whole can corn in the past,..it's been several years since i attempted a cream ale. Reading about boiling and then grinding the corn before the mash .I was planning on just a thawing soak and grind, add to the mash ..any thoughts are appreciated..

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:45 PM

If I were to do this I would put the frozen corn in a blender or food processor and throw the slurry in the mash after you had it a the temp you want. I probably wouldn't though.  Germ has a lot of oil in it.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:36 AM

I have never used any corn product besides flaked corn (like you get at the LHBS) and masa harina. I have used a lot of flaked corn in various recipes and it always seems to do what I want. As far as the cream ale goes, it seems you just want to keep it clean. The Hallertau would clearly work and just about any of the American "nobles" would work as well... Santiam, Liberty, Crystal, Mt. Hood, Ultra, etc. Take the corn to whatever level you're comfortable with (I seem to get squeamish approaching 20% so I generally stay below that) and use a clean yeast like 1056 and keep everything balanced. Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users