38 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:48 AM

My MT was assembled in 2004 and never modified in all that time. 10-gallon cylinder cooler with the valve removed and replaced with something called a WORTHOG... basically a vavle connected to a length of stainless braid. I took it all apart and replaced the SS braid with a new one. When the MT was new I put it all together and took a picture of it and someone on the board I was on said I screwed up the gasket/O-rings (there was supposed to be one inside and one outside but I left them both OUTSIDE and the cooler never leaked so I left it). When I put it all back together yesterday I put one inside and one outside. Question: Is having a rubber gasket/o-ring inside an issue? I filled the cooler with 5 gallons of Starsan and let it drain and it did not leak. But I do wonder about rubber inside with 150° wort. Also, should I prepare the MT now that there is a rubber gasket inside and also new stainless? Boil some water and throw it in there? Any other thoughts?

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:29 AM

Are you sure it is rubber and not silicone?

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:38 AM

Are you sure it is rubber and not silicone?

Oh yeah, probably silicone. I just want to make sure I don't have another "new chiller" issue where some new part of my system spoils the batch. Would you be more concerned about the o-ring or the stainless or both or neither?

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:40 AM

Oh yeah, probably silicone. I just want to make sure I don't have another "new chiller" issue where some new part of my system spoils the batch. Would you be more concerned about the o-ring or the stainless or both or neither?

I would do a small PBW soak and then follow up with an acid rinse with star-san and call it good.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:42 AM

I would do a small PBW soak and then follow up with an acid rinse with star-san and call it good.

I can do that. No PBW here as I use Oxi on everything. How hot to make the Oxi soak? Just HOT or BOILING? I can't see boiling being necessary. Thanks Brother.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:47 AM

I do about 145-150

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:49 AM

Okay, I'm on it. Thanks for the help and my MT thanks you. :D

#8 Mike Green

Mike Green

Frequent Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3671 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:39 PM

You don't want to add boiling water to a plastic mash tun.

#9 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:59 PM

I haven't had an issue adding boiling water to mine.  No warping and safe up to 130C.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 02:30 PM

You have been owned by the boss. :lol:

I haven't had an issue adding boiling water to mine.  No warping and safe up to 130C.

#11 Mike Green

Mike Green

Frequent Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3671 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:29 PM

His experience is different from mine.  I think we have hotter boiling water in California than Oregon :-)

Edited by Mike Green, 12 March 2018 - 05:31 PM.

#12 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:36 PM

His experience is different from mine.  I think we have hotter boiling water in California than Oregon :-)

Whatever - I've seen too much warped plastic to try this and don't see the benefit.  Mash temps should be fine for a rinse.  Or wash

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:36 PM

:lol:

Whatever - I've seen too much warped plastic to try this and don't see the benefit.  Mash temps should be fine for a rinse.  Or wash

I agree.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:22 AM

the inside of my cooler is bulging out in quite a few places and I'm not even putting boiling water in!

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:44 AM

the inside of my cooler is bulging out in quite a few places and I'm not even putting boiling water in!

It is excited!

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:47 AM

It is excited!

I can't blame it.

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 03:56 PM

I cleaned this thing out after installing the new SS braid and it's probably cleaner than it's been in awhile. All of this has me noticing a bulge in the side wall (inside... which I think has been evident for awhile) but now a small crack forming along that bulge. At first I didn't think much of it but then I turned the cooler upside down and noticed that it looked like starsan, Oxi solution or a combination has possibly gone into that crack and snuggled up between the inside and outside pieces of plastic. If I press on a spot here or there I see some liquid in there. Probably wouldn't have noticed it had I not been looking so closely at the MT. So is there a safe way to fill that crack without killing myself? Silicone or something? Cheers and thanks.

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:00 PM

I'd get a new tun personally. This is what has me considering alternatives to my cooler. The insulated ss options are pricey as hell though and the idea of doing biab with 10 gals seems impractical.

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:12 PM

I'd get a new tun personally. This is what has me considering alternatives to my cooler. The insulated ss options are pricey as hell though and the idea of doing biab with 10 gals seems impractical.

Why impractical?

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:39 PM

Why impractical?

I'm fairly sure I'd need a larger kettle and then the weight of the wet grain when I go to pull it out would be no joke!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users