#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 11 March 2018 - 06:42 PM

What would have been a standard pale ale took a turn for some experimental fun. Hoping the brilliant deep ruby red carries through. Golden Promise, Red X, Cascade and Simcoe.

E3_D42977-7024-4_E5_A-_B8_A2-87_F7073946

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:26 PM

Yeah, that RedX makes some very wild-colored beer. Been awhile since I used it.

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:04 PM

Wow. Terrific color and clarity on that. Pics of the finished beer please.

ETA: ...and I'll be honest that from the title and the pic I was worried actual beets went into this... and then I read your text.

Edited by neddles, 11 March 2018 - 10:05 PM.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:37 AM

I thought this was going to be a be a beet beer! Yours sounds much better tho... Love the hop combo!

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:38 AM

I bet it would take very little beet to change the color of a light colored beer.

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:30 AM

All right, all right, before you get grossed out :)

Yeah, that RedX makes some very wild-colored beer. Been awhile since I used it.

9# Golden Promise, 2# RedX. The X never had a chance to shine through. In fact the wort was light brown before the... ahem... addition.

Wow. Terrific color and clarity on that. Pics of the finished beer please.

ETA: ...and I'll be honest that from the title and the pic I was worried actual beets went into this... and then I read your text.

The color is amazing and final pics to follow. You should be worried, 16 ounces of rendered beet juice went in post boil

I thought this was going to be a be a beet beer! Yours sounds much better tho... Love the hop combo!

Not a beet beer to my design but we'll see how much other than color comes through after it's eaten alive by a very healthy 2L starter of 1450

I bet it would take very little beet to change the color of a light colored beer.

The grain bill had a little C-60 and a little Carapils beside the GP and X. The color of the wort was light brown and boring. The day before I was thinking about this Pale Ale and it's potential to be a good drinking beer but to me there was a "meh" factor I couldn't get around and I wasn't too excited for yesterdays brew day. So I got a 1 1/2 pounds of fresh beets, peeled and diced them and simmered them for an hour. The beets were strained and the resulting sweet liquid, 16 ounces was placed in a Tupperware and frozen. Post boil I pitched the frozen block of juice and you can see the result. I'm inclined to think other than color the beets will not be noticeable at all. But I gotta say the color is amazing. Sorry if I grossed you's guys out :)

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:34 AM

The color is amazing and final pics to follow. You should be worried, 16 ounces of rendered beet juice went in post boil

Ha ha. Yeah, if the beets don't come through in flavor then its a great idea as far as I am concerned. I actually like beets, just having a hard time picturing the flavor in beer.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:34 AM

16 ounces of rendered beet juice went in post boil

:covreyes:

#9 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:46 AM

Ha ha. Yeah, if the beets don't come through in flavor then its a great idea as far as I am concerned. I actually like beets, just having a hard time picturing the flavor in beer.

I love beets but I don't want them in my beer either. As mentioned I pitched a huge 1450 that should chew up all of the sugars [he said with great hope]

Beet love lasts at least a few days hahahaha

:covreyes:

I know I know. But you still like me right?

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:50 AM

I know I know. But you still like me right?

That depends on how the beer comes out. :lol:

#11 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:04 AM

That depends on how the beer comes out. :lol:

Will keep you's guys posted for sure. I just couldn't psyche up w/o a "nuance" if you will haha

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:37 AM

I remember seeing a beer on the west coast (I saw it on a TV show) where the guy used beets in the beer for color but I believe he also used NO HOPS. The host tried the beer, looked at the camera and whispered, Umm, I don't care for it... but I'm sure that had more to do with no hops than beets. Hopefully you end up with a bright red beer with little-to-no beet flavor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users