#1 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:52 AM

Thinking about getting one.  Would like a reliable meter, but one that is not going to break the bank.  I don't even know what the price range should be on one of them, but assume I'm on a budget.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:56 AM

Omega PHH-7011  going to be about 100-120 all in.  I have that and a MW-102 from Milwaukee and the Omega is hands down better IMO.

I have no experience with the uber cheap ones on amazon.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:08 AM

My first one was a Milwaukee PH55 pen-style meter. It was terrible. It pretty much never worked even right out of the box. I have talked with people who bought Hanna meters and other models of Milwaukee like the 102 and had good results but also not-so-good results. A good brewer recommended the Omega 7011 and I went with it. It's been very solid now for years. You have to put storage solution into the cap to keep the probe wet and at the proper pH which is very easy to do with this model. You can also use a Q-tip to gently clean the probe if you ever see any schputz on it. This one is easy to calibrate and it comes with 4.0 and 7.0 solution as well. One trick (given to me by a Milwaukee tech person) is to soak the probe in white distilled vinegar overnight if the meter ever begins to read incorrectly. I have never had to do that with the Omega. Remember too that people use meters for all sorts of things including gardening, aquariums, etc. and some of the cheaper ones might be more suited to those hobbies. Here you're going to be submerging the probe into wort which can get funky eventually. Always rinse the probe thoroughly when you're done and you should be good.

#4 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:13 AM

Omega

#5 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:28 AM

I've had a Hanna for a few years.   90 bucks for mine.   Seems to work just fine.   Even my wife uses it as she's started fermenting vegetables.  

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:53 AM

I've had a Hanna for a few years.   90 bucks for mine.   Seems to work just fine.   Even my wife uses it as she's started fermenting vegetables.

I don't know if the technology for $50 or $100 meters is good enough to be consistent across the board but if you try searching for affordable meters you'll see people who really love their Hanna and Milwaukee meters (and others) and you'll also see people who are exasperated by them. I tried a $49 Milwaukee PH55 and it was junk... just wouldn't read properly, it would bounce all over, etc. I would calibrate it, etc. and it just didn't want to play ball.

#7 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:47 AM

I picked up a Milwaukee 102 a year or so back, lucked out on a more beer deal of the day for 100 bones; its a solid meter. Just keep it the storage solution and calibrated.

#8 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:21 AM

Due to a quick change in circumstances, a PH Meter is not on the table right now.  Gonna have to stick with the test strips for now.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:10 AM

Due to a quick change in circumstances, a PH Meter is not on the table right now.  Gonna have to stick with the test strips for now.

One thing that I have learned is that a meter can be very helpful when you first get it and start using it and it gets you used to doing the things you need to do to get your pH in the right spot. pH can vary from batch to batch but at some point you know what's reasonable to get things in the right spot. Eventually the meter becomes more of a formality... I rarely make adjustments now because the meter has shown me what to do. If I really had to brew without my meter I could probably do it and not worry. But I wouldn't have gotten to that point without the meter. You might be able to say the same about the strips although my biggest issue with the strips was determining the pH based on a color key and there was also a correction factor too. I think my meter showed me that I needed to use more acid than my strips were telling me to use.

#10 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:13 AM

Thanks ER and everyone else. 

I have a "benefactor" in the thread who has offered to send me his spare.  

ER, I suspect that it will be similar to using the hydrometer.  At a certain point, not really crucial for most brew sessions.

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:02 PM

Thanks ER and everyone else. 

I have a "benefactor" in the thread who has offered to send me his spare.  

ER, I suspect that it will be similar to using the hydrometer.  At a certain point, not really crucial for most brew sessions.

If you need to, make sure you get the 4.0 and 7.0 calibration fluids and get some storage solution too. Most of this stuff is available on Amazon. Keep the probe in the storage solution and don't allow it to dry out. Calibrate the meter with the 4.0 and 7.0 solutions and try to use the meter on things that you know the pH of... your tap water if you know it, distilled water usually clocks in right at 7.0 (IIRC) and there are other things like orange juice which is usually around 3.0. If you take readings on various things and the meter seems to be accurate, you know it should be okay for your brewing. Cheers to you and whoever gifted you a meter. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users