#1 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 21 February 2018 - 05:45 PM

This is getting easier.  Last weekend my lag time was much shorter.  And last weekend I crushed the specialty grains first - 2 row last and saved a pound - so the grain was ready to go. 15 minute mash while I walked the dog, 7 minute boil and cooled with my mini IC.  Done in 45 minutes.  I'm liking this.  3L spinning

#2 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:13 AM

So you mashed a pound in 3L's for a starter? Sorry if I missed a post or something..

#3 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:13 AM

So you mashed a pound in 3L's for a starter? Sorry if I missed a post or something..

Mashed with 3.75L and ended up with about 3.2L in the flask

#4 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:41 PM

And again yesterday.  I decided to take the dog for a walk while it mashed.  Had it below 150df with the thermostat set for 147.  Came back about 15 minutes later and it's at 167.  Tasted sweet so I went ahead and boiled and pitched.  That was about 26 hours ago.  American 2-row must be pretty hot nowadays.  It's fermented out already.

The kettle I use is pretty heavy aluminum and I guess residual heat ramped it up even after power was shut off.

#5 Mike Green

Mike Green

Frequent Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3671 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:27 PM

I make extra wort and run off a half gallon from the boil before I add my first hops.I throw the gallon size glass wine jug in a 5-gallon bucket filled with water to cool off. take a refractometer reading and adjust with cooled sparge water to get 1.040.I pitch yeast and shake till its all foamy and forget about till the next day.I transfer hot wort from the kettle to the corny keg and place it in the fermenting fridge The next day the wort is at pitching tempt and the starter is ready to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users