#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:10 AM

Fellas I have some Nugget I want to use and with an AA of 14.6 I will definitely use it for bitter. But what about using it in the finish? Maybe pairing it up with Crystal? Or what would be a good pairing? It's just sittin there staring at me when I open the freezer :)

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53971 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:18 AM

Yeah, I had a $5 pound of Nugget hops with that same AA% and I bittered A LOT of batches with it. I can't remember what the circumstance was but I needed to make a mid-stream adjustment on a beer for whatever reason and I ended up adding more Nugget later in the boil and I thought it was nice. This is a very clean hop in general so using it by itself is just fine but you could use it in conjunction with other clean hops (Crystal, Sterling, Mt. Hood, Santiam, EKG, Styrian Goldings, Liberty, Ultra, etc) or you could bury it with something that had more character to it... Amarillo, Galaxy, Citra, Nelson, Zythos, etc. It seems that you can't misuse Nugget. Cheers.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:18 AM

Pretty sure Ken has used it late and liked what he got from it.

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:24 AM

Thanks Guys, Brulosophy and BeerLegend says it brings a nice herbal quality late and that's something I've been enjoying in my Lagers. Maybe a some of it paired with Crystal at the finish and using it for the primary bitter around 25 minutes...

#5 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:21 PM

I've had I believe it's Toppling Goliath's Golden Nugget IPA. Supposed to be a heavy nugget in the finish. It was surprising different, unique, and delicious. 

#6 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:58 AM

I think Sierra Nevada did a nugget beer. I use it for bittering on all my beers since it's cheap alphas.

#7 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:23 AM

I've had I believe it's Toppling Goliath's Golden Nugget IPA. Supposed to be a heavy nugget in the finish. It was surprising different, unique, and delicious.

I'm going to add a late hit of it in my upcoming Pale Lager - Nugget, Celia, Crystal and another tad of Nugget

I think Sierra Nevada did a nugget beer. I use it for bittering on all my beers since it's cheap alphas.

Like the Magnums' arsenal huh..

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16628 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:03 AM

Thats a nice beer. Piney and herbal with some very mild citrus but clearly American, I thought.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:16 AM

Thats a nice beer. Piney and herbal with some very mild citrus but clearly American, I thought.

I will have to look for it.  I guess we are getting TG beers out here soon, although the prices I have seen floating around give me sticker shock!

#10 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16628 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:47 AM

I will have to look for it.  I guess we are getting TG beers out here soon, although the prices I have seen floating around give me sticker shock!

Most of their hoppy stuff is excellent if fresh. I can't say I have tried anything non-hoppy that they make. I wouldn't go out of my way to find it considering all the good options out your way but if you see some and it is fresh don't hesitate. The best beer I had from them was their X-Hops Gold. It was a very fresh bomber that I happened to come across and it was phenomenal.

#11 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:53 PM

Most of their hoppy stuff is excellent if fresh. I can't say I have tried anything non-hoppy that they make. I wouldn't go out of my way to find it considering all the good options out your way but if you see some and it is fresh don't hesitate. The best beer I had from them was their X-Hops Gold. It was a very fresh bomber that I happened to come across and it was phenomenal.

I have had Pseudo Sue and King Sue for hoppy stuff and both were great. Only non hoppy beer I have had from them is Kentucky Brunch Brand Stout better known as KBBS batch 1 which was also excellent but not worth the cost by any stretch. http://beerblackbook...link=94&var=348

#12 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:56 AM

I was working part time at a beer store when my area first got TG. Everyone was creaming their pants for it, but then they kind of died off. I mean, it is really great beer, but there are just so many great beers on shelves.

I don't remember it being more expensive or cheaper than anything comparable. 

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 08:06 AM

I was working part time at a beer store when my area first got TG. Everyone was creaming their pants for it, but then they kind of died off. I mean, it is really great beer, but there are just so many great beers on shelves.

I don't remember it being more expensive or cheaper than anything comparable. 

King Sue $14
Sue $13.50
Pompei $13.50
Hopsmack $14

So this is what it is starting at.

#14 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 26 February 2018 - 08:24 AM

King Sue $14
Sue $13.50
Pompei $13.50
Hopsmack $14

EWWWWW. Pseudo Sue over here is like a $10 4pk. 

your average 6er is like $10. SN's new hop bullet can be had at $9, which is an incredible deal. And higher end 6ers are usually in the $12 range. by high end, I mean like a good Founders or something local. we can of course go up to ridiculous amounts for singles, but I'm usually never interested in spending all my beer money on one beer, haha. rather make my own!

#15 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:29 PM

King Sue $14
Sue $13.50
Pompei $13.50
Hopsmack $14

So this is what it is starting at.

I paid $10.99 for Sue today at Total Wine

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:42 PM

I paid $10.99 for Sue today at Total Wine

This was Yankee Spirits.

#17 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:45 PM

This was Yankee Spirits.

There are no Yankee Spirits near me, but I am far from surprised about those prices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users