#1 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6250 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 03 February 2018 - 10:08 PM

Kinda early to start this.  But I have some relevant stuff... soo....

Picked this up last weekend.  2017 Hoyt Pro Defiant Turbo.  29" draw, 50-60 lb limbs set at 54.  It was a leftover 2017 so I got a reasonable discount off full MSRP.  I got the sight, arrow rest, release, arrows, etc.  

Xdpi5Go.jpg

I also picked up one of these in black for the rest of the house...

GB_Bow_Orig_Red.jpg

It's an Easton Genesis.  No draw length requirement so it can be used by anyone who can pull it back.  Pretty much all of the youth archery programs use it so I plan to get the kids into some stuff. 

The whole house is stoked.  SWMBO even said, can I shoot that one....

My 6 year old can pull it, and hit a target with it.  The nearly 5 year old isn't quite big enough, but will be soon.  His major issue is coordination, but he'll get it soon. 

I joined the local conservation club a mile from my house.  They have a 3D archery shoot monthly, and a huge indoor range open to members anytime.  I can also shoot at the affiliated clubs in the area for $10/match.  They have indoor competitions and  youth programs for the kids too.  It's setup so it can be as fun or as competitive as you want.  They had a guy place 2nd at a national shoot last week.  But my uncle who is a member, can score above 50% of the guys who good,  but is there every week.

I'm working on some ideas for a range and targets at home so we can shoot here in the evenings when it warms up.  

My goal for this year is to take a Whitetail in Indiana.  My longer term goat is to be effective at 60+ yards and to take an Elk out west. 

In other news. What draw hunts is everyone putting in for?  

I can't hunt the west this fall.  New baby this spring and all that... So I'm putting in for a point in Wyoming and Colorado. Maybe a couple other places.  My buddy who is inspiring all of this is in the same boat, so we're thinking Wyoming in 2019 for archery Elk, but we'll see.

I might put in for the Kentucky elk draw, it's only 4 hours away so I can probably talk  SWMBO into it, but the odds are astronomical for non residents.  So it's very unlikely I'll get drawn.  

Last... anyone do any predator hunting?  The local gun shop is running a coyote tournament this weekend.  2 man teams, biggest, smallest and 1,2,3 for # of coyotes.  

A buddy of mine is in it and came to hunt my place today.   No luck, but it was cool to see their setups.  I've got nothing against the coyotes, but reducing predators is always good.  I see them on my game cameras 2-3 times x week.  

#2 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20271 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:47 AM

Not really too early, ideally I'm going Barbary sheep hunting within a month (haven't locked in a date yet).

Good deal on the bows.  Have you shot the genesis yet?

I'll be putting in for CO antelope, mule deer, elk, and probably a concurrent bear tag as well as WY antelope.

#3 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6250 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:28 PM

Not really too early, ideally I'm going Barbary sheep hunting within a month (haven't locked in a date yet).

Good deal on the bows. Have you shot the genesis yet?

I'll be putting in for CO antelope, mule deer, elk, and probably a concurrent bear tag as well as WY antelope.

Where's the sheep hunt? I'm guessing Texas?

I've shot the Genesis. There's no site, so compared to the compound it's inherently inaccurate. That said, I can keep them in a paper plate at 10 yards, which is the distance elementary kids shoot, so I guess it's ok. It's fun if nothing else.

#4 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20271 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:31 PM

New Mexico public lands hunt.

#5 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7245 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:15 PM

Kind of fits the thread, but my 1 week (shortened) of trapping ended this morning. 3 possum & 3 coons. Nothing too exciting. One coon was all black, gotta give my father in law credit for that one though. I'll post a pic of it when it returns from taxidermist.

Oddly enough, I got a pic of a deer pulling some of the wool out of the ground (we drip the lure scent on a small ball of wool). Really odd.

Also got a pic of a fox digging in the bait hole. Unfortunately the trap didn't spring, guessing the 1 inch of rain then freezing had something to do with it.

#6 TxBrewer

TxBrewer

CrAp Czar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16868 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:49 PM

All loaded up for the last hunt of the 2017/2018 hunt. Been raining out there for the better part of the week so hopefully when it breaks Saturday night/Sunday morning they will be moving

If not I have a bottle of bourbon, cooler of beer and a few cigars.

Edited by TxBrewer, 22 February 2018 - 07:50 PM.

#7 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6250 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:25 PM

The whole concept of hunting deer this late is totally foreign to me.

You guys ever find does with developed fawns?

By now, the first does to cycle will be at least 4 months into a 6.5 month gestation. Around here at least.

Edited by SnowMan, 22 February 2018 - 08:25 PM.

#8 bierboy

bierboy

Comptroller of Temporary Pancakes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12737 posts
  • LocationThe Firey Pits of Liberal Hell

Posted 22 February 2018 - 09:53 PM

I really need to get on applying for a Fall turkey license.

#9 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14326 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:09 PM

The whole concept of hunting deer this late is totally foreign to me.

You guys ever find does with developed fawns?

By now, the first does to cycle will be at least 4 months into a 6.5 month gestation. Around here at least.

I shot a doe even later than this last year, or maybe year before, but don’t remember if it was gestating. Texas is a bit incoherent, as it has a super late season for does and spikes (ostensibly for population control) yet also allows baiting. Seems at cross-purposes to me.

Almost all TX hunting is on private land, and private ranches can get the super-long extended doe/spike season if you use a wildlife biologist, perform population census periodically, and other stuff. At my buddy’s ranch who does this, we save the lower jaw of each deer for the biologist.

#10 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6250 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:20 PM

Bump for the Colorado draw deadline closing in soon...

If you're thinking of accumulating some points in Colorado, now is the time to get your application in. Deadline is just about 10 days out.

#11 Julius H Gardetto

Julius H Gardetto

Comptroller of Delusional Berkley Hippie Types

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21108 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:33 AM

Kinda early to start this. But I have some relevant stuff... soo....

Picked this up last weekend. 2017 Hoyt Pro Defiant Turbo. 29" draw, 50-60 lb limbs set at 54. It was a leftover 2017 so I got a reasonable discount off full MSRP. I got the sight, arrow rest, release, arrows, etc.

Xdpi5Go.jpg

I also picked up one of these in black for the rest of the house...

GB_Bow_Orig_Red.jpg

It's an Easton Genesis. No draw length requirement so it can be used by anyone who can pull it back. Pretty much all of the youth archery programs use it so I plan to get the kids into some stuff.

The whole house is stoked. SWMBO even said, can I shoot that one....

My 6 year old can pull it, and hit a target with it. The nearly 5 year old isn't quite big enough, but will be soon. His major issue is coordination, but he'll get it soon.

I joined the local conservation club a mile from my house. They have a 3D archery shoot monthly, and a huge indoor range open to members anytime. I can also shoot at the affiliated clubs in the area for $10/match. They have indoor competitions and youth programs for the kids too. It's setup so it can be as fun or as competitive as you want. They had a guy place 2nd at a national shoot last week. But my uncle who is a member, can score above 50% of the guys who good, but is there every week.

I'm working on some ideas for a range and targets at home so we can shoot here in the evenings when it warms up.

My goal for this year is to take a Whitetail in Indiana. My longer term goat is to be effective at 60+ yards and to take an Elk out west.

In other news. What draw hunts is everyone putting in for?

I can't hunt the west this fall. New baby this spring and all that... So I'm putting in for a point in Wyoming and Colorado. Maybe a couple other places. My buddy who is inspiring all of this is in the same boat, so we're thinking Wyoming in 2019 for archery Elk, but we'll see.

I might put in for the Kentucky elk draw, it's only 4 hours away so I can probably talk SWMBO into it, but the odds are astronomical for non residents. So it's very unlikely I'll get drawn.

Last... anyone do any predator hunting? The local gun shop is running a coyote tournament this weekend. 2 man teams, biggest, smallest and 1,2,3 for # of coyotes.

A buddy of mine is in it and came to hunt my place today. No luck, but it was cool to see their setups. I've got nothing against the coyotes, but reducing predators is always good. I see them on my game cameras 2-3 times x week.

Looking at whitetail in western PA. A buddy has a farm where they just slay them. It will be my first time going out in eight years.

Looking at elk out west in twonto three years, probably start putting in for points in Idaho and maybe Wyoming.

Not for nothing as to coyotes, but hunting them only increases their number. Shifty bastards just make bigger littters when they are preyed upon.

#12 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20271 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:00 AM

Bump for the Colorado draw deadline closing in soon...

If you're thinking of accumulating some points in Colorado, now is the time to get your application in. Deadline is just about 10 days out.

Yup.  Now if strangebrewer "the lurker" would confirm the hunt codes I sent him to review I'd get my applications in. ;)

#13 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8906 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:03 AM

I need to get on this.

#14 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20271 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:16 AM

I need to get on this.

Whatcha thinking for this year?

I'll be going after elk/deer/antelope as usual but going to throw bear in the mix this fall also.  Still trying to go after barbary next month hopefully.

#15 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8906 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:18 AM

I haven't decided yet which species I'll fail at. ;) I think deer.

#16 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20271 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:35 AM

I haven't decided yet which species I'll fail at. ;) I think deer.

That's the spirit!  Oh wait... :P  Seriously though feeling like you've learned some through the last few years to move in on success yet? 

#17 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6250 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 23 March 2018 - 06:01 PM

My progress in shooting a bow... This was at 20 yards.

Https://i.imgur.com/c9dswSr.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JA2nBVk.jpg

#18 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8906 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 05:43 PM

That's the spirit! Oh wait... :P Seriously though feeling like you've learned some through the last few years to move in on success yet?

Hopefully. Was very close last year. I know the way to success outside of specific scenarios, muzzleloader seasons or really in depth local knowledge is to get into the backcountry like you do. My hunting partner is not really wanting to spend the night hunkered down at 11,000 feet, though, and I can't really blame him. I'm thinking of trying to pair my mountain biking hobby with the hunting to get me further in than on foot. I've read a few articles on this, seems like a possibility.

#19 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20271 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 25 March 2018 - 06:44 PM

I think learning to glass well is more important than going back country.

#20 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8906 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 06:56 PM

Any particular tips or resources besides glass a lot with decent quality optics from a decent vantage point? The deer hunting I'd done before Colorado was in the Midwest and was more straightforward.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users