#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:51 PM

From my other egg fart post, the sulpher smell in my Chimay Amber is gone and the ferment is coming to a close. For those who Belgian, do you clear your beer? Because I typically don't. Somehow I feel that Belgian yeasts need to be present in the glass. These batches naturally clear over time if the keg lingers but for the most part there's good yeast in suspension. So what do you think about fining a Belgian ale. Do you think it would take away all that yeasty flavor and goodness?

#2 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:24 PM

From my other egg fart post, the sulpher smell in my Chimay Amber is gone and the ferment is coming to a close. For those who Belgian, do you clear your beer? Because I typically don't. Somehow I feel that Belgian yeasts need to be present in the glass. These batches naturally clear over time if the keg lingers but for the most part there's good yeast in suspension. So what do you think about fining a Belgian ale. Do you think it would take away all that yeasty flavor and goodness?

I don't want "yeasty flavor" in my Belgian styles, so yeah, I cold crash and use clarifiers.  Most Belgian beers don't have yeast in suspension.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:32 PM

I don't want "yeasty flavor" in my Belgian styles, so yeah, I cold crash and use clarifiers.  Most Belgian beers don't have yeast in suspension.

agreed.  I find belgian beers are a lot better at my place once they've cleared up.

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:13 PM

I dont make enough of the trappist styles to have an opinion but if you are talking saison I am in general
agreement with Poptop. Not sure its the yeast itself or if its just because it is fresher but I seem to like them better before they go clear.

Really need to make a saison. Been way too long.

#5 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 06:17 AM

I dont make enough of the trappist styles to have an opinion but if you are talking saison I am in general
agreement with Poptop. Not sure its the yeast itself or if its just because it is fresher but I seem to like them better before they go clear.

Agreed!

#6 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:29 AM

Being pedantic, saison is not a Trappist beer.  It's not even Belgian.

Agreed!

Seen Drew's saison guide?  https://www.maltosef...d-saison-yeasts

#7 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:28 AM

Seen Drew's saison guide?  https://www.maltosef...d-saison-yeasts

A favorite read

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:55 AM

Being pedantic, saison is not a Trappist beer. 

I acknowledged that in my post. Not clearly enough I guess.

It's not even Belgian.

It's Belgian enough. Not a distinction or argument I am interested in.

#9 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 25 January 2018 - 06:43 PM

Timely thread as I just started a starter from a bottle of Prairie  Artisan Ales' "Prairie Hop".   I've cultured their yeast from the bottle a few times and it's a strong fermenter with really nice "Belgian" traits.   I stick to the simple stuff like just a Belgian Pale.   I can't do the 8-9%ers.  

#10 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:04 PM

Timely thread as I just started a starter from a bottle of Prairie Artisan Ales' "Prairie Hop". I've cultured their yeast from the bottle a few times and it's a strong fermenter with really nice "Belgian" traits. I stick to the simple stuff like just a Belgian Pale. I can't do the 8-9%ers.

I’ve had a handful of nice beers from them. I love their standard. When fresh its delightful.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:15 PM

I’ve had a handful of nice beers from them. I love their standard. When fresh its delightful.

Agree! Very enjoyable beer when I can find it. I also really enjoy the Bomb! series.

#12 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:39 PM

I have a Christmas Bomb in my keezer. Need a chill night sometime soon to work that one over.

#13 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:20 AM

Prairie is a rare find down here but always tasty.

#14 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:37 PM

I have a Christmas Bomb in my keezer. Need a chill night sometime soon to work that one over.

Dude, I got a pint of that on tap (my first Praire too).  It's so good!

#15 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:45 PM

Dude, I got a pint of that on tap (my first Praire too).  It's so good!

I am jealous enough that you are right down the road from Penrose. And now this...

:lol:

#16 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:09 PM

Timely thread...

Just found out today that the brewing club I'm in is going to have a competition in March with Belgian Golden as the style.  Never brewed one before, but I think I'd better get rolling.

#17 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:14 AM

I have had bad luck with the Prairie Bomb series(rusted caps) but it has been a few years. For me Trappist styles are clean, but due to the aging not a surprise. Saison is French/Belgian I prefer grissettes with Brett to finish. 

#18 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 06:17 AM

Timely thread...

Just found out today that the brewing club I'm in is going to have a competition in March with Belgian Golden as the style.  Never brewed one before, but I think I'd better get rolling.

Will it be a Strong Golden?? Keep us posted on what you design. The next gen of my current Chimay yeast is going to be some type of Blonde, Pale, Golden etc...

#19 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 30 January 2018 - 07:37 AM

Will it be a Strong Golden?? Keep us posted on what you design. The next gen of my current Chimay yeast is going to be some type of Blonde, Pale, Golden etc...

The e-mail wasn't clear on that.  Will find out at the meeting tomorrow night.  (I haven't been in several months due to a conflict on Thursday nights, but for some reason this has shifted to Wednesday night)  For now, my "research" is focused on Strong Golden.

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:06 AM

The e-mail wasn't clear on that.  Will find out at the meeting tomorrow night.  (I haven't been in several months due to a conflict on Thursday nights, but for some reason this has shifted to Wednesday night)  For now, my "research" is focused on Strong Golden.

Brew Like a Monk, Vinnie Cilurzo's Strong Golden Ale (Damnation inspired beer)

O.G. 1.066-1.072
F.G. 1.006-1.012
ABV 7-8%
IBU: 23-33

Grist Bill:
Pilsener Malt 80-100%
Wheat malt 2.5%-5% (optional)
Munich malt 2.5%-5% (optional)
Sugar (candi rocks, turbinado, or dextrose) 5-20%

Hops:
Styrian Goldings, 90 minutes, 30% hop bill (13-15 IBU)
Styrian Goldings, 30 minutes, 35% hop bill (7-10 IBU)
Saaz, at knockout, 35% of hop bill (3-5 IBU)

Mash:

Yeast:
WLP500 or Wyeast 1214

Fermentation:
Dependent on yeast choice 66°-76°F

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users