#1 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:34 AM

So I brewed on Saturday and boiled for 1 hour... no hops... and dropped the temp to 110.  Introduced the lacto for a kettle souring using yogurt... I thought it was a pretty substantial amount too.  Approximately 60 hours later and the PH strips have not really dropped.  I know to watch so that it doesn't go below 3.4, but it's been at the 4.4 level on the strip.  Should that be moving down at all?  I did pull a sample to taste, and although I can tell it is getting tart, it isn't noticeably tart.  How tart does it need to get?  Is it possible the inoculation wasn't enough?  Do I add more yogurt?

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:38 AM

Did you pre-acidify before adding the yogurt?

#3 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:19 PM

Did you pre-acidify before adding the yogurt?

No.  LHBS talked me out of it.  

And now that I think about it... I also failed to mash out.

Presume I am FUBAR at this point.

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:39 PM

No.  LHBS talked me out of it.  

And now that I think about it... I also failed to mash out.

Presume I am FUBAR at this point.

Why would you need to mashout? Why would you be FUBAR? Are you sure the steps are reading properly? I know the strips have an expiration date on them (at least the colorpHast ones do) and supposedly do not work well beyond their shelf life.

I think what Drez is saying (and he can correct me if I am wrong) is that pre-acidifying the wort below 4.5 before pitching the lactobacillus prevents the lacto from producing a proteolytic enzyme that can kill the head on the finished beer. Not a ruined beer but might not have the head you might otherwise like on it.

#5 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:42 PM

The strips for the 3.2 to 4.4 range were just purchased, but who knows how long they were on the shelf.

Tasted again tonight and still not sour. I've made yogurt before and could swear 110 was the sweet spot... Will give it some more time. Maybe pick up some more yogurt tomorrow.

#6 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:54 PM

Still not sour is not too promising. Run down to Wine and Hop on Monroe and pick up Omega's Lactobacillus blend. Looks like it is in stock. It will sour very fast even at 75ºF.

https://wineandhop.c...obacillus-blend

#7 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:35 AM

Spoke to the guy at Brew & Grow (did you know they are closing in March?) and he just used the only Lacto they had on hand 5 minutes before I called.  I don't really want to run down to Monroe Street.  Discussed and he asked the temp that I had set at... I was at 111 and probably killed the cultures.  He recommended dropping it to 100 and adding grain (which I already have on hand) for the more traditional route.  Just adjusted the temp and will give it a couple hours to drop in temp and add the grain.  

#8 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:29 AM

So just checked it.  It finally is forming a "krausen" of sorts.  The PH has dropped to a 4 and there is a very noticeable tartness to the wort.  I'll probably either boil tonight or tomorrow morning and move to fermentation.  But... although I'm not out of the woods just yet, I don't think I need to dump the batch at this point.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:30 AM

Is it Krausen or a pelicle?  Post a picture.

#10 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:26 AM

26239215_10213012533806602_4914904329803

It's more krausen like in that it is "foamy".  I wouldn't say it looks like any pellicle I've ever seen, so I don't think that's it.

Edited by Deerslyr, 12 January 2018 - 11:27 AM.

#11 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:28 AM

I'd also say that while it does have the sour taste, the unfermented nature of it is a bit bizarre.  Although I always feel the same way about any un-fermented wort when I taste it.  

#12 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:21 PM

Removed as much of the grains as I could. Boiled 15 minutes with hops, Irish moss and whirfloc. Cooled to pitching temps and added US-05. Starting OG is 1.032.

I can see doing this again with some tweaks.

#13 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:00 AM

If it doesn't turn out as sour as you would like you could always add some lactic acid.

#14 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:38 AM

If it doesn't turn out as sour as you would like you could always add some lactic acid.

It had a pretty good twang to it, but now I'm better familiar with the process and if it turns out, look forward to making more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users