4 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:42 AM

For those who use them, a question for you. I sealed up my pound of Crystal hops and also the 5 pounds of Hallertau pellets in 5 separate 1-pound bags. I like how this sealer works... it's fast and easy to use and it seals things up very tight and rock hard. But... one of the pounds of Hallertau must not have been right because the bag ended up with some air in it. I made a new bag, poured the hops in there and vac-sealed it and it was hard as a rock. I checked awhile later and again it had some air in it. When this happens, is it typically a bad machine, a bad bag/roll or user error? I just sealed it again and it SEEMS air-tight but I'll be checking it again shortly to see. meanwhile... all of the other bags are hard as a rock with no air.

#2 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:01 PM

Double heat seal your bags. I run a heat seal about 1/2" away from the one it did with vacuuming and no longer have this problem.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:03 PM

Mmm, good idea. I concluded that any type of residue, hop dust, etc. on the heat seal spot could cause issues too. Thanks Chils.

#4 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:06 PM

Mmm, good idea. I concluded that any type of residue, hop dust, etc. on the heat seal spot could cause issues too. Thanks Chils.

They can. After you do the first seal you can clean anthing out before the second one.

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16522 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:56 PM

Double heat seal your bags. I run a heat seal about 1/2" away from the one it did with vacuuming and no longer have this problem.

Yeah this is a good idea as I get the occasional bag that doesn't want to seal. Looks tight at first but check on it 24 hrs later and the bag is full of air.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users