#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 December 2017 - 06:29 AM

below zero when I started.  normally the garage warms up from the burner running out there but nothing today.  don't worry - i've got the CO detector at the ready.

I'm really appreciating my garage sink today so I don't have to mess with the outdoor hose like I used to.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 06:49 AM

Damn, you are dedicated! It is freezing out there. Instead of brewing I plan to hit some breweries today!

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 December 2017 - 06:59 AM

Damn, you are dedicated! It is freezing out there. Instead of brewing I plan to hit some breweries today!

double batch too!

weird aside - it seems like bru'n water gets the answer really wrong when I use lactic acid.  I just had to add some baking soda to this helles to get the mash pH up to 5.3.  I normally shoot a couple of tenths high so I end up around 5.3 but today I was 0.5 lower than predicted.  my second batch doesn't use any lactic so it will be interesting to see if I'm really low again or if the overshoot is my normal 0.2.

#4 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 30 December 2017 - 06:59 AM

Just mashed in.  71df here.

9df outside though

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 December 2017 - 07:00 AM

Just mashed in.  71df here.

9df outside though

my garage is just above freezing or it must be since none of the standing water (puddles from snow on cars) out there seems to freeze.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 07:02 AM

double batch too!

weird aside - it seems like bru'n water gets the answer really wrong when I use lactic acid. I just had to add some baking soda to this helles to get the mash pH up to 5.3. I normally shoot a couple of tenths high so I end up around 5.3 but today I was 0.5 lower than predicted. my second batch doesn't use any lactic so it will be interesting to see if I'm really low again or if the overshoot is my normal 0.2.

Very curious to see how batch 2 goes. BnW seems to be hit or miss for me lately.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 December 2017 - 07:15 AM

Very curious to see how batch 2 goes. BnW seems to be hit or miss for me lately.

I have no idea if my water changes regularly or even seasonally.  that could be part of it and I guess I'll be able to tell based on batch two if this is a water changing kind of thing.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 December 2017 - 07:49 AM

I have to say that my old mt hood smells surprisingly good still.  this is a pound from hops direct that I had never opened that is a couple of years old.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 December 2017 - 08:17 AM

also - I have a strange desire to let ALL of the wort drain out of the mash tun.  that last pint of wort is the most delicious!

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:44 AM

first batch with lactic, gypsum and CaCl I was about 0.5 lower than bru'n water predicted.

second batch with gypsum and CaCl I was about 0.2 lower than bru'n water predicted.  This is how it usually is for me.

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 December 2017 - 03:37 PM

double brew days are killer but I made it happen.  still took me about 8 hours :(

#12 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 05:14 PM

double brew days are killer but I made it happen.  still took me about 8 hours :(

Gotta do what you gotta do.

So 20 gallons of beer today? The hoppy American Lager and.....?

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 December 2017 - 05:31 PM

Gotta do what you gotta do.

So 20 gallons of beer today? The hoppy American Lager and.....?

munich helles.  I made a big starter of bayern omega and split it up.

#14 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 05:49 PM

I think that would put me off brewing for a while.  It'll be worth it in a few weeks though.

I still remember deciding it was a good idea to start a 10 gallon batch at midnight a while back.  

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 December 2017 - 05:52 PM

I think that would put me off brewing for a while.  It'll be worth it in a few weeks though.

I still remember deciding it was a good idea to start a 10 gallon batch at midnight a while back.  

well it usually takes me 5-6 hours to do a single 10 gal batch so this is an overall time savings.  work has been killing me lately and brewing is getting harder and harder to do.

I was actually feeling pretty good right up until it was time to clean up and oxygenate and pitch yeast.  my last 2 brew sessions have been doubles so my next single is going to seem really easy.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 06:48 PM

well it usually takes me 5-6 hours to do a single 10 gal batch so this is an overall time savings. work has been killing me lately and brewing is getting harder and harder to do.

I was actually feeling pretty good right up until it was time to clean up and oxygenate and pitch yeast. my last 2 brew sessions have been doubles so my next single is going to seem really easy.

I like my 3 hour brew days but I am only doing 5g batches. Today I hit up Trillium and Wormtown for beer.

#17 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 06:59 PM

well it usually takes me 5-6 hours to do a single 10 gal batch..............

That's a long time unless you are starting with nothing measured and ready to go.  10 gallons here today was a bit over 4 hours from adding water to the mash to finish.  Setup was yesterday while I cleaned a few kegs.

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 December 2017 - 05:28 AM

That's a long time unless you are starting with nothing measured and ready to go. 10 gallons here today was a bit over 4 hours from adding water to the mash to finish. Setup was yesterday while I cleaned a few kegs.

I believe my time killer is how long it takes to heat water and wort. The sq14 struggles a bit with ten gallons.  If I'm doing a single batch I can basically do all of my prep while I'm waiting for things to heat up and cool down.

Edited by pickle_rick, 31 December 2017 - 06:01 AM.

#19 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 07:54 AM

I believe my time killer is how long it takes to heat water and wort. The sq14 struggles a bit with ten gallons.  If I'm doing a single batch I can basically do all of my prep while I'm waiting for things to heat up and cool down.

That's not that long them IMO.  I almost always start the brewday with water up to strike temps and everything else ready to go.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:37 AM

and the coldness continues!  I've been having to run my space heater to make a lager!  WTF?!!??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users