Na: 29 ppm

SO4: 176 ppm

Cl: 48 ppm

Bicarb: 27 ppm

3.25 oz Amarillo @ 30min

3 oz US Hallertau @ 0 min

2 oz Cent @ 0 min

1 oz Amarillo @ 0 min

maybe some dry hopping?  Haven't decided yet.

SRM: 17

OG: 1.057

IBU: 42

#2 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:17 PM

Looks good.   But...   if you're going to use that many finishing hops and maybe even dry hop, why even go to the trouble of using a lager yeast, cold fermentation, and lagering?   All those hops are going to cover up any of the fine malt nuances and "clean" flavor of a lager yeast.   

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:52 PM

Looks good. But... if you're going to use that many finishing hops and maybe even dry hop, why even go to the trouble of using a lager yeast, cold fermentation, and lagering? All those hops are going to cover up any of the fine malt nuances and "clean" flavor of a lager yeast.

Do you not like the idea of an IPL?

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:59 PM

Looks good.   But...   if you're going to use that many finishing hops and maybe even dry hop, why even go to the trouble of using a lager yeast, cold fermentation, and lagering?   All those hops are going to cover up any of the fine malt nuances and "clean" flavor of a lager yeast.   

it's different than an IPA.  just had a jack's abby hoponious on holiday tonight and it was pretty damn tasty.  I'm not sure how they did it but I'd almost swear to god this had mango in it.  really impressive and delicious and interesting.

https://jacksabby.co...ius-on-holiday/

eta:  you on mobile drez?  check yo PMs ;)

Edited by pickle_rick, 27 December 2017 - 08:01 PM.

#5 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 28 December 2017 - 05:24 AM

Do you not like the idea of an IPL?

Well, not really.  But I'm not that experienced with them, however.   I've only had a few and couldn't really appreciate the distinction from an IPA.    To each his own, however.   Especially when it comes to homebrewing!   :D

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 05:38 AM

Well, not really.  But I'm not that experienced with them, however.   I've only had a few and couldn't really appreciate the distinction from an IPA.    To each his own, however.   Especially when it comes to homebrewing!   :D

I really enjoy a good IPL.  Clean yeast that gets out of the way and lets the hops shine.  We are also lucky that we have some really good ones, IMO, up here.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:24 AM

Well, not really. But I'm not that experienced with them, however. I've only had a few and couldn't really appreciate the distinction from an IPA. To each his own, however. Especially when it comes to homebrewing! :D

If it makes you feel any better I'll also be making a helles with this yeast. I may even save some for a later date to make some additional more traditional lagers.
Will I be able to taste that much carafa special in this beer or no? I don't want to compete too much with the hops.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:21 AM

pretty sure my carafa III isn't special.  the mash actually smelled slightly roasty.  I don't think it will be overpowering or anything though.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:47 AM

so the time has come to dry hop.

this is what I'm thinking for 5 gal:

2oz cent

1oz US Hallertau

0.5oz citra

0.5oz amarillo

#10 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:43 PM

Morty something to think about. I cold crashed my last IPL and kegged it with gel. Waited until it was clear and dropped a pantyhose leg in the keg with 2oz cascade, 1oz each of citra and chinook. It is insanely hoppy and crystal clear. No hop flavor loss at all. Seems to be intensifying in hoppiness over the past couple months or so.

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:10 AM

Morty something to think about. I cold crashed my last IPL and kegged it with gel. Waited until it was clear and dropped a pantyhose leg in the keg with 2oz cascade, 1oz each of citra and chinook. It is insanely hoppy and crystal clear. No hop flavor loss at all. Seems to be intensifying in hoppiness over the past couple months or so.

well I have had this beer in primary just above freezing for 4-5 days now.  hopefully that will be enough clearing to get something like what you are talking about.

or are you talking the hop combo?

I see you lurkin!  I'll be measuring out my hops in a minute ;)

Edited by pickle_rick, 13 January 2018 - 06:28 AM.

#12 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:28 AM

well I have had this beer in primary just above freezing for 4-5 days now.  hopefully that will be enough clearing to get something like what you are talking about.

or are you talking the hop combo?

No your hop combo looks great. I feel like you put some thought into the interplay of floral herbal and citrus. Looks like something I would build.

I was talking about getting the yeast out of the way so it didn't precipitate the hop flavor as it clears. After doing this I feel like the term "hop haze" has been BS all along and is just suspended yeast and protein which takes dry hop flavor with it as it precipitates.

One odd thing that I noticed is that it takes longer to get some hop flavor to come thru. I started out with mostly herbal flavors after 3-4 days unable to get the citra flavors. They have only just begun to come thru after a month or so. Its been great all along but is now getting really good and intense instead of losing flavor.

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:30 AM

No your hop combo looks great. I feel like you put some thought into the interplay of floral herbal and citrus. Looks like something I would build.

I was talking about getting the yeast out of the way so it didn't precipitate the hop flavor as it clears. After doing this I feel like the term "hop haze" has been BS all along and is just suspended yeast and protein which takes dry hop flavor with it as it precipitates.

One odd thing that I noticed is that it takes longer to get some hop flavor to come thru. I started out with mostly herbal flavors after 3-4 days unable to get the citra flavors. They have only just begun to come thru after a month or so. Its been great all along but is now getting really good and intense instead of losing flavor.

I wonder if citra flavors were there before and the herbal flavors were covering them up a little.  thanks for the feedback.  the kegging will be begin soon :cheers:

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:35 AM

Hop haze generally seems to persistent and not drop when you dryhop very early in fermentation.

#15 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:51 AM

Hop haze generally seems to persistent and not drop when you dryhop very early in fermentation.

I had a beer hold its haze and hop flavor completely thru and never drop. It had 2.5lbs of flaked barley. I decided that was a good way to go as a way to preserve hop flavor for the life of the keg. I do love me some crystal clear beer tho. Crystal clear beer with insane hop flavor is extremely satisfying to me.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:59 AM

I had a beer hold its haze and hop flavor completely thru and never drop. It had 2.5lbs of flaked barley. I decided that was a good way to go as a way to preserve hop flavor for the life of the keg. I do love me some crystal clear beer tho. Crystal clear beer with insane hop flavor is extremely satisfying to me.

That seems to be the difference, the oils in suspension are also changing the mouthfeel. I have tried to replicate it in not so hazy beers but have not been successful.

I guess this should be its own thread... Sorry for the derailment :)

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:11 AM

That seems to be the difference, the oils in suspension are also changing the mouthfeel. I have tried to replicate it in not so hazy beers but have not been successful.

I guess this should be its own thread... Sorry for the derailment :)

no problem!

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:04 AM

the color came out pretty much exactly as I hoped.  it's not completely clear yet but you can get the idea:

OWusQcr.jpg

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:12 AM

real life is probably a little darker than this.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:16 AM

also my concerns about roast flavor were not well founded.  i can't taste any roast here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users