#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:56 PM

Found the first Kolsch in FL to come close to being what it should be and it's from the LHBS/brewery I've been going to for years.

If they softened the water and balanced the bitterness a little it would just about perfect. It wouldn't surprise me if they've found my recipe or pulled it from my purchasing habits because it's very close to mine.

I was very happy to drink a decent kolsch for once. There are several around town that just don't understand the style and make a boring blonde ale.

#2 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 14 December 2017 - 07:18 AM

This couldn't come at a better time and my next up will be a 10 gallon batch using pale, pils and a splash of Vienna. Omega Kolsch II to do the dirty work. Bittered with a scant amount of Nugget and finished with Hallertau Mit and Spalt.

Any pointers you have would be appreciated.

#3 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:55 PM

Softer water is better. Balanced bitterness to sweetness. Some yeast character like a LIGHT pear ester is nice. Cracker and bread from malt. Not hoppy. Know your yeast and it will be fine.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:06 AM

I think one point here is fermentation temp. 2565 can go pretty low... somewhere between 55° and 58° IIRC but at those temps the fermentation is pretty clean and you don't get the subtle character from the yeast. So it seems like maybe 62° or so is the kill zone... you get a smidge of that winey character (that's not a good description but you get the idea) without there being too much of it. It should not seem like a blonde ale, helles, etc. There should be more character to it but it should still be clean, crisp and refreshing. The German styles seem to throw the most amount of curveballs at us homebrewers, you know? :D

#5 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 02:36 PM

I do 2565 at 57 to get the subtle pear character I want

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users