#1 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:58 PM

1.6 gm in 2.75L or 10:1  DME wort.  It suits my tastes but I know not everyone is a fan. I've gone back to making my starters big enough to harvest for the next one.  I plan to keep this around for a while.  And still have 2 packs - 1.6 gm for an unplanned  10 gallon brew day.

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:08 PM

Watch it carefully to make sure it doesn't explode! :D I don't think I've made a starter for dry yeast yet but I was considering it for this Mangrove Jack's M76 because I've heard these yeasts are slooooow to start.

#3 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1962 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:11 PM

I enjoy US-05 but have never made a starter for it, don't even rehydrate  :o

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:14 PM

I seldom use it but US-05 is a nice yeast. I probably have, but I can't recall making a bad beer with it.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:14 PM

I made a starter on my last 34/70 beer, worked well. I made it with the wort I had brewed that day and pitched it all.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:17 PM

I seldom use it but US-05 is a nice yeast. I probably have, but I can't recall making a bad beer with it.

When it threw me some peachy-apricot type esters I stopped using it. I used it in a blonde ale and people were asking me, "What kind of fruit did you use in this beer?". <_<

#7 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1962 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:17 PM

I made a starter on my last 34/70 beer, worked well. I made it with the wort I had brewed that day and pitched it all.

that makes sense to me

#8 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:29 PM

When it threw me some peachy-apricot type esters I stopped using it. I used it in a blonde ale and people were asking me, "What kind of fruit did you use in this beer?". <_<

I've never tasted/smelled that but obviously a lot do.

And actually my other reason for starting this thread was to have Denny go nuts about a dry yeast starter when he sees the title............B)

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:31 PM

I tend to ferment my ales on the cool side so maybe US05 doesn't like it cool.

#10 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:22 PM

I've had great results w/ US-05 and really like it for most of my ales.  

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:58 PM

I've had great results w/ US-05 and really like it for most of my ales.

Same! I have always had good luck with it. Maybe I just like whatever it does that people seem to dislike.

#12 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 14 December 2017 - 07:19 AM

New brewery in town. They are saving money for now and using dry. Beers are decent, nothing over the top by any means but clean except for one beer. The US-05. I asked the head brewer who came from a major brewery and a great reputation, about how he handles this strain. He said all the right things. Let the yeast clean up, yadda, yadda. When we were leaving the place a well known BJCP judge pulled me to the side and asked me my thoughts on a certain beer. I said D-Bomb in the aroma but the added flavors hid/subdued the Diacetyl on the pallet, except aroma descriptors will fool your pallet into thinking a flavor is there. Which it might be. With that said I will not drink that beer again and as you know I can't stand 05 because of this issue.  So it goes without saying that even a pro guy cant get US05 diacetyl issues past me. Unfortunately, I can pick this up in trace amounts 90% of the time. Even before you get the slickness on the tongue. 

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 07:37 AM

New brewery in town. They are saving money for now and using dry. Beers are decent, nothing over the top by any means but clean except for one beer. The US-05. I asked the head brewer who came from a major brewery and a great reputation, about how he handles this strain. He said all the right things. Let the yeast clean up, yadda, yadda. When we were leaving the place a well known BJCP judge pulled me to the side and asked me my thoughts on a certain beer. I said D-Bomb in the aroma but the added flavors hid/subdued the Diacetyl on the pallet, except aroma descriptors will fool your pallet into thinking a flavor is there. Which it might be. With that said I will not drink that beer again and as you know I can't stand 05 because of this issue.  So it goes without saying that even a pro guy cant get US05 diacetyl issues past me. Unfortunately, I can pick this up in trace amounts 90% of the time. Even before you get the slickness on the tongue.

I get diacetyl from S-04. First time I used it the flavor was there and relatively noticeable to me. On the next batch I made sure to leave the beer in primary a bit longer, swirl it and make sure it had the chance to warm up and I never got it again. I can't say I ever had that issue with US-05 but that fruitiness hurt me. I could probably ferment it warmer than I did (which sounds backwards) and make sure it has a chance to clean up for a longer time but honestly... I don't even keep it as a backup anymore. I'd rather just use 1056, WL001 or Omega West Coast and get it over with.

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 07:49 AM

I am glad I have no taste issues with S-05 and S-04! 

#15 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:10 AM

I get diacetyl from S-04. First time I used it the flavor was there and relatively noticeable to me. On the next batch I made sure to leave the beer in primary a bit longer, swirl it and make sure it had the chance to warm up and I never got it again. I can't say I ever had that issue with US-05 but that fruitiness hurt me. I could probably ferment it warmer than I did (which sounds backwards) and make sure it has a chance to clean up for a longer time but honestly... I don't even keep it as a backup anymore. I'd rather just use 1056, WL001 or Omega West Coast and get it over with.

Doesn't work 100% of the time for me. Id say I was in the 50/50 range when I was using 05 for non-sour ales. I won't ever use it again for clean beers. It works fine for my mixed fermentation sours since the diacetyl gets cleaned up. Once I ditched 05 and went back to 1056 etc my issue went away. 

#16 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:36 AM

I am glad I have no taste issues with S-05 and S-04! 

Dude, do you realize what you're admitting to?  ;)

I have totally lost my taste for 05 and have never liked 04.  These days if I want a clean ale yeast, I use 34/70...which is obviously not an ale yeast, but works great for the purpose.  But more often I'll just break down and use 1056.

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:40 AM

I have totally lost my taste for 05 and have never liked 04.  These days if I want a clean ale yeast, I use 34/70...which is obviously not an ale yeast, but works great for the purpose.  But more often I'll just break down and use 1056.

Don't care what I have admitted to :)  I like them and I like plenty of commercial beers brewed with them.  I love the hatred for S-05 and S-04!  It is almost as bad as batch vs fly sparging.

ETA:  Heck I like NEIPAs ... I know that already makes people question my judgment :)

Edited by drez77, 14 December 2017 - 09:43 AM.

#18 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:26 AM

What happened to 1450? I find it very clean when fermented cool.

#19 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:29 AM

I like beer.

#20 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:32 AM

What happened to 1450? I find it very clean when fermented cool.

It is, but not quite as clean as 1056.  Also, sometimes I want the crisper mouthfeel of 1056.

Don't care what I have admitted to :)  I like them and I like plenty of commercial beers brewed with them.  I love the hatred for S-05 and S-04!  It is almost as bad as batch vs fly sparging.

ETA:  Heck I like NEIPAs ... I know that already makes people question my judgment :)

I think "hatred" is kinda strong

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users