6 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:26 PM

I just saw a video on Facebook from Odell Bring in CO where they were hammer milling whole hops into a powder.  I have to say I have never seen that done before.  Anyone know if that is a common technique?

#2 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:30 PM

I just saw a video on Facebook from Odell Bring in CO where they were hammer milling whole hops into a powder.  I have to say I have never seen that done before.  Anyone know if that is a common technique?

Yep, pretty common.  Once through the hammer mill, the powder is compressed into molds to make what we know better as pelletized hops.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:34 PM

Yep, pretty common.  Once through the hammer mill, the powder is compressed into molds to make what we know better as pelletized hops.

These were done using what I believe is a grain hammer mill and they were just using the powder as is.  Kind of like the luplin powder that recently came out.  I do not know enough about hop processing but I thought Denny had said that the pelatizers for hops were all cooled to make sure the temp does not get too high.  Maybe they are all the same equipment.

#4 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:40 PM

These were done using what I believe is a grain hammer mill and they were just using the powder as is.  Kind of like the luplin powder that recently came out.  I do not know enough about hop processing but I thought Denny had said that the pelatizers for hops were all cooled to make sure the temp does not get too high.  Maybe they are all the same equipment.

I recall Denny making the same comment; makes sense to cool things where possible, since the lupulin glands are a bit heat-sensitive.

#5 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:21 PM

Yeah, the pellet mills at YCH and most other places are cooled with liquid nitrogen.  That's a fairly recent development...maybe the last 5-10 years.  If someone is producing pellets without doing that, the pellets will be subpar.  I've compared the difference.

#6 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:24 PM

No, nothing like the lupulin powder. That's made by freezing the hops with liquid nitrogen to keep O2 exposure away.  What you describe Odell doing seems almost bound to oxidize the hops.  I'm kinda puzzled...you'd think that a brewery like Odell would know what they're doing, so I don't understand.  And I'm not saying they're necessarily wrong. Simply at odds with what I know and have seen.

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:03 PM

No, nothing like the lupulin powder. That's made by freezing the hops with liquid nitrogen to keep O2 exposure away. What you describe Odell doing seems almost bound to oxidize the hops. I'm kinda puzzled...you'd think that a brewery like Odell would know what they're doing, so I don't understand. And I'm not saying they're necessarily wrong. Simply at odds with what I know and have seen.

I was only comparing the consistency of the final product. I know true lupin powder is much different.

I did find it odd that O'Dell's was doing this too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users