#1 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:24 AM

So I'm curious if anyone knows of a good brewing software that's free. I used to use an excel sheet that did all my calculations for me, but I don't have office anymore. I use libreoffice, but that's just not the same. I'd import it to google sheets, that that's just not the same either. 

I made my first solo batch in like 2+ years at home yesterday! (I also streamed it if anyone is interested). I used brewtarget to for this one, but it just is not as user friendly as having all my notes on one page. And brewtarget is not letting me print the recipe either, some kind of bug that doesn't open the print dialogue. 

So, anyone know or use a good brewing software they can recommend? Ideally I'm looking for all my "important notes" on one screen, easy to read, and easy to use cloud storage so I can go between a laptop and Desktop pc.

Thanks everyone! And it's Great to be back!

#2 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:44 AM

I was going to suggest Brewtarget, but I see you are having issues.

I no longer use a printer at home, so Iv'e not opened the print dialog.

#3 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:03 AM

Easy workaround for brewtarget printing issue (apparently common) is to export to HTML, open in browser, print from there, bonus is you can save a folder of all your recipe sheets as html for universal use that way.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:34 PM

I just went to Google Play and see 12 free apps. No, I don't know how they are but one of these has to be worth a try (it's free!). There is a BeerSmith ($7.99) and a BeerSmith Lite ($3.99) but all the others are free.

Wort Homebrew Calculator
Brewing Calculator
Brew Tracker
Brew Timer
Brewer's Friend
Brewing Assistant Free
Brew Shop
BrewR
Quick Brew Calc
BierMacht
Brew Buddy
Brew Guru
Brew-O-Matic

... and there might be more. At some point I got into coffee brewing apps but then the beer stuff kicked back in. Hopefully one of them would work.

#5 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:18 PM

I just went to Google Play and see 12 free apps. No, I don't know how they are but one of these has to be worth a try (it's free!). There is a BeerSmith ($7.99) and a BeerSmith Lite ($3.99) but all the others are free.

Wort Homebrew Calculator
Brewing Calculator
Brew Tracker
Brew Timer
Brewer's Friend
Brewing Assistant Free
Brew Shop
BrewR
Quick Brew Calc
BierMacht
Brew Buddy
Brew Guru
Brew-O-Matic

... and there might be more. At some point I got into coffee brewing apps but then the beer stuff kicked back in. Hopefully one of them would work.

+1 for brewer's friend. The website has wide range of calculators, from recipe formulation, hydrometer correction, efficiency, etc. I use the recipe application when im trying out a recipe for the first time. Works great.

#6 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:31 AM

Ok! Sorry for the delay guys, I was locked out of my account for a bit. Miccullen, I'm not able to do the html either because it just saves a garbled piece of code!

Ken, Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm looking to stick with a pc though since I don't want to be typing everything out on my phone. But if Lefty likes Brewers friend then maybe I"ll give that a shot. I do think it would be easy to use a web app to create recipes on one computer and open them on a different one.

Looks like I'm getting a full PC in the garage, so it will be a lot easier!

Thanks guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users