Photo
- - - - -

So. Does anyone have any recipes that use A LOT of Hallertau?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:06 PM

:lol:

Sincerely. I realize that these hops will last awhile if they're packaged properly and it's one reason I got the vacuum sealer. But still... 80 ounces of hops. That's insane and many of the recipes where I use Hallertau I'm using 2 ounces or so. I realize I can make some good hoppy German pilsners and some hoppy amber lagers but any other ideas are welcome. Also, if I vac-seal these hops well, how long would anyone care to guess they would last?

#2 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:11 PM

besides pils and hoppy amber lagers, there are cream ale/blonde ale. If going more German, altbier, bock/doppelbock, o-fest, helles; pretty much the entire German range of lagers.

IMO, Hallertau also works well as a late addition/hop-stand/dry-hop with other varieties in various American ale styles.

And if well-sealed, and especially if kept well below 0°F, they will last for years.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:19 PM

I want to try and blend some American hops like cascade with the Hallertau for shits and giggles.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:36 PM

I want to try and blend some American hops like cascade with the Hallertau for shits and giggles.

I do have a blonde ale planned with the Omega West Coast. I was originally going to use Crystal (because I have a pound of it) but I suppose I could use Hallertau (because I have 5 pounds of it!). Hallertau is probably the number 1 hop that I use for lagers (pils, helles, Vienna, festbier, dunkel, an American lager, any Mexican-inspired lager, etc) so it will be nice to have this many and I'm sure I'll have no issues using them. I have not opened that bag yet but I sure hope these are nice, fresh hops that are in good shape. I envision some sort of amber lager where I use some hops late in the boil and then maybe a bunch in the WP or something. Could be a nice, hoppy change of pace.

#5 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:57 PM

......... Hallertau also works well as a late addition/hop-stand/dry-hop with other varieties in various American ale styles.

And if well-sealed, and especially if kept well below 0°F, they will last for years.

Those both sound like good ideas.  I just don't brew lagers that much.  And I bought a pound of Mittelfruh about a month ago too so I have 6+ lbs...........

My experience with  vac packed pellets kept at 0 df has been good.  I don't buy into the usual degradtion calculations some of the brewing software has.  I just ding the AAUs a little depending how old they are.  And I have a lot that aren't dated.  Things usually come out as expected.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:04 PM

I used to know brewers who would hold noble hops to such a degree that blending them with something like Cascade (or other inferior hop :D) would ignite a forum firestorm. :lol:

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:26 PM

I used to know brewers who would hold noble hops to such a degree that blending them with something like Cascade (or other inferior hop :D) would ignite a forum firestorm. :lol:

Oh I am sure! For some reason in my head I see it working... Who knows!

#8 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:38 PM

I wouldn't hesitate to sub it for spalt select in my hoppy German pils. Like a German APA. https://brews-bros.c...py-german-pils/

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16620 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:17 PM

What hops does SA Boston Lager use?

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:21 PM

I have always heard it was Tettnanger but it could be Hallertau too. There have been articles online about how the people at SA travel to Bavaria to inspect hops, etc. Suggesting SABL is exactly in line with what I'm thinking... amber-colored lager with a lot of late hops added. I don't know that I would have thought "SABL" but along those lines for sure.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:30 PM

Hallertau Mittelfreuh and Tettang Tettnager Noble Hops

#12 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16620 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:56 PM

How does Hallertau compare with Hallertau Mittelfruh? I am generally familiar with Mittelfruh but not Hallertau.

It may be nostalgia for my early craft drinkimg days but I still enjoy SABL quite a bit when I can get it fresh.

Edited by neddles, 06 December 2017 - 06:58 PM.

#13 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:06 PM

I was thinking of patersbier lately, but it does not use a lot of hallertau..Still i have not made one in 3 years or so and its delicious

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:08 PM

It may be nostalgia for my early craft drinkimg days but I still enjoy SABL quite a bit when I can get it fresh.

I have to agree. I don't have it often but find it enjoyable when I found.

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:31 PM

I like SABL too. What's not to like? An amber lager with noble hops... Delish.

#16 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:42 AM

Northeastern Cascadian Kolsch :)

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:10 AM

The more I think about this, the better it sounds. I could see pilsner, maybe some munich and then enough crystal or caramunich to get the color to maybe 10 SRM and then bitter with Magnum and hit the boil late with a good amount of this Hallertau and then maybe a WP addition and possibly even a DH.

On the topic of Hallertau and Mittelfruh... that is a gray area it seems. I used to see people advertise HM and when the hops arrived the label just said GERMAN HALLERTAU. I have actually emailed or called about it and they say, "Oh yeah... that's Hallertau Mittelfruh". Is it possible that "German Hallertau" and "Hallertau Mittelfruh" are the same hop? You have your Hallertau Tradition, Blanc, Select, Gold, Hersbrucker, etc. and it gets confusing. If the hops are labeled as GERMAN HALLERTAU, I'm usually happy. US Hallertau is a completely different animal.

I ordered HALLERTAU MITTELFRUH from Williams once. The item code was H-21 (I think). The hops arrived and the label on the hops said H-21 GERMAN HALLERTAU. But online and in the catalog it said HALLERTAU MITTELFRUH. Confusing.

#18 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16620 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:39 AM

The more I think about this, the better it sounds. I could see pilsner, maybe some munich and then enough crystal or caramunich to get the color to maybe 10 SRM and then bitter with Magnum and hit the boil late with a good amount of this Hallertau and then maybe a WP addition and possibly even a DH.

On the topic of Hallertau and Mittelfruh... that is a gray area it seems. I used to see people advertise HM and when the hops arrived the label just said GERMAN HALLERTAU. I have actually emailed or called about it and they say, "Oh yeah... that's Hallertau Mittelfruh". Is it possible that "German Hallertau" and "Hallertau Mittelfruh" are the same hop? You have your Hallertau Tradition, Blanc, Select, Gold, Hersbrucker, etc. and it gets confusing. If the hops are labeled as GERMAN HALLERTAU, I'm usually happy. US Hallertau is a completely different animal.

I ordered HALLERTAU MITTELFRUH from Williams once. The item code was H-21 (I think). The hops arrived and the label on the hops said H-21 GERMAN HALLERTAU. But online and in the catalog it said HALLERTAU MITTELFRUH. Confusing.

Yeah I have always been confused about the Hallertau nomenclature as well.

That beer sounds quite nice. Is that basically what SABL is... Pils, Munich and a little dark CM for color and hopped with a bunch of late HM and Tett Tett?

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:51 AM

Boston Lager from the website

MALT VARIETIES
Samuel Adams two-row pale malt blend and Caramel 60

#20 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:33 AM

:lol:

Sincerely. I realize that these hops will last awhile if they're packaged properly and it's one reason I got the vacuum sealer. But still... 80 ounces of hops. That's insane and many of the recipes where I use Hallertau I'm using 2 ounces or so. I realize I can make some good hoppy German pilsners and some hoppy amber lagers but any other ideas are welcome. Also, if I vac-seal these hops well, how long would anyone care to guess they would last?

Belgian styles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users