#1 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8864 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:49 PM

Got a sixer of IPA from a local brewery and had it in the fridge for a couple of days.  Cracked one open tonight and poured it in a pint glass.  Looked and smelled great until about 1 ounce left in the bottle, and then bam- giant slug of yeast sludge comes out.  

#2 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:45 PM

Got a sixer of IPA from a local brewery and had it in the fridge for a couple of days.  Cracked one open tonight and poured it in a pint glass.  Looked and smelled great until about 1 ounce left in the bottle, and then bam- giant slug of yeast sludge comes out.  

rookie mistake!

#3 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8864 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:47 PM

Well, I poured carefully on the second one and it still looks like pond water.  Oh well...

#4 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8864 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:58 PM

I think it also has a good bit of DMS.  Something is definitely not worth $10 a sixer.

#5 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:07 AM

Annoying. Aggravating that many professional brewers do little more for their product than a new homebrewer.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:33 AM

I have heard this a number of times now. A friend told me something very similar... pop the cap, pour into glass, plop of yeast. Someone else mentioned 'sludgy' beer to me. Sludgy? If homebrewers can get their products clear then commercial breweries should be able to. If you're talking hefeweizen, Belgian Wit or NEIPA, cloudy is fine but not actual yeast blobs.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:38 AM

sometimes the stuff that has settled out is hop material.  sometimes it's yeast.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:50 AM

I even remember picking up some Bell's Amber Ale which is quite good. I was with a bunch of buds playing cards and I got my bottle of beer and started pouring it into a glass and it was pretty hazy. The other swill-drinking guys were just looking at it as I poured. Then at the end there was some sludge. It wasn't solid like a plop but it was quite a bit of ultra-yeasty beer that went into the glass and really looked unappetizing. Everyone just kind of winced at it. It's one reason I try to get things clear. When someone here is tapping beers and they're not used to it... when the keg is empty and a shot of yeasty beer comes out of the faucet they hold up their glass to me and they're all, OMG! WHA HAPEEEN!! :D

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:38 AM

I even remember picking up some Bell's Amber Ale which is quite good. I was with a bunch of buds playing cards and I got my bottle of beer and started pouring it into a glass and it was pretty hazy. The other swill-drinking guys were just looking at it as I poured. Then at the end there was some sludge. It wasn't solid like a plop but it was quite a bit of ultra-yeasty beer that went into the glass and really looked unappetizing. Everyone just kind of winced at it. It's one reason I try to get things clear. When someone here is tapping beers and they're not used to it... when the keg is empty and a shot of yeasty beer comes out of the faucet they hold up their glass to me and they're all, OMG! WHA HAPEEEN!! :D

I don't worry too much about the last pint :P

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:16 AM

I don't worry too much about the last pint :P

Me neither. I toss it out. If I know the keg is close to empty and I tap a beer from that keg, I pay close attention... when I see cloudy beer I stop so I can drink whatever made it into the glass. But the uninitiated won't know so they end up with a glass of sludge and then ask me what they did wrong. My first order of business in those cases is to say, "Here, gimme that". :D Then I tell them they drained the keg and then I hook up a new one.

#11 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8864 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:45 PM

Update- it wasn't the brewery's fault.

When I cleared the remaining bottles out of the fridge, I saw that the best by date on the beer was in January 2017.  The store (and distributor) allowed a six pack to sit there for 10 months out of date.   Now I feel sorry for the brewer!

I finally got around to taking them back, and the store swapped it for a different beer from the same brewery, no problem.  They were very apologetic- apparently the distributor is responsible for checking the dates, but they still apologized for not catching it. 

I got cans this time, with a good date on the bottom.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:52 PM

Update- it wasn't the brewery's fault.

When I cleared the remaining bottles out of the fridge, I saw that the best by date on the beer was in January 2017. The store (and distributor) allowed a six pack to sit there for 10 months out of date. Now I feel sorry for the brewer!

I finally got around to taking them back, and the store swapped it for a different beer from the same brewery, no problem. They were very apologetic- apparently the distributor is responsible for checking the dates, but they still apologized for not catching it.

I got cans this time, with a good date on the bottom.

I got burned by that one time, now I check all my dates!

#13 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:01 PM

I got burned by that one time, now I check all my dates!

Same here; been burned before, and I refuse to pay good money for beer that's long out of freshness.

#14 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:28 PM

Related pet peeve: Reading reviews on a beer and the reviewer slams the brewery and gives a crappy review on a beer that was obviously mishandled or out of date.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users