zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23025 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:42 AM

Nothing scientific here.

My limited experience with mice is fresh ground peanut butter works better than commercial jar stuff. Might be cheaper because you can buy the fresh ground in smaller volume.

Watching that video makes me think with a larger diameter roller and a mouse would be more likely to would walk on the roller.

#62 Augie91

Augie91

Rocket

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19474 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:09 PM

I caught many a chipmunk with a bucket trap before I went soft on the chippers.

#63 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35775 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:21 PM

I can't see a real pattern here. I do seem to have more activity when it's cold but I have had a cold week with no activity and then slightly warmer temps with more activity. I like the idea of this 'rolling pin' bucket trap because you could catch MOAR mice and potentially take out their population quicker. I wouldn't want to keep it in the garage because my wife would not want to see this. But the area near my small shed seems like a real hot spot and they have been IN the shed too so when this thing arrives I'll make a new trap with a larger bucket and see what happens.

#64 rockon

rockon

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2545 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:25 PM

put your dowel through a toilet paper tube.  Put peanut butter on toilet paper tube.

#65 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35775 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:10 PM

put your dowel through a toilet paper tube.  Put peanut butter on toilet paper tube.

The issue is that the dowel needs to be perfectly made and since I made it... that would not be the case. :D You cannot have a "low spot" where the dowel (or whatever... soda cam, toilet paper roller, etc) will 'rest'. It has to spin freely. Each mouse only weighs from .5 to about .75 ounces so they can walk across a roller that is not freely spinning. Plus, with a wooden dowel I bet the mice can get their claws in there. The stainless one won't let them hang on like that and possibly get away. I was as meticulous as I could be making the dowel roller and when I saw a low spot I tried to adjust it but it still wasn't perfect... although I did catch ONE.

#66 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 19 April 2018 - 05:36 PM

Dude. I used a coat hanger thru a soda can with a wrap of masking tape on the can to hold peanut butter. I've caught dozens in my wellhouse. The can is close to the edge of the bucket so it's the first thing they step on. I put  zipties on either end of the coat hangar ~.5" from the can  to keep the can from walking

Edited by Steve Urquell, 19 April 2018 - 05:39 PM.

#67 Augie91

Augie91

Rocket

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19474 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:26 PM

With chippers I just had a board leading up to the bucket. I threw a handful of sunflower seeds in water. The chipmunk just jump into the water to get the seeds. Not sure if mice would do same?

#68 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24836 posts
  • Locationthe atomic city

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:05 PM

With chippers I just had a board leading up to the bucket. I threw a handful of sunflower seeds in water. The chipmunk just jump into the water to get the seeds. Not sure if mice would do same?

Yep.  It's what we did on my folk's farm.

#69 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35775 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:09 AM

I tried to fashion one of these rollers with a soda can but I couldn't get it to spin freely and evenly which I think is one of the keys. For $7, I'm happy to have the most critical part of the setup be right otherwise it's a waste of time. If I see evidence of these guys out in my yard I'm not as concerned but the more there are the more likely I am to find them in the house which is what I'm trying to avoid. My wife occasionally goes into the storage room (where there is a trap) early in the morning and I'll hear her shriek when she goes in there... Aha! I got a customer! :P

#70 Car ChuckRam

Car ChuckRam

Rami!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8568 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:33 AM

Not for nothing, but have you tried cleaning your home? Rodents are not only attracted to warmth, but to food.

#71 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35775 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:39 AM

Not for nothing, but have you tried cleaning your home? Rodents are not only attracted to warmth, but to food.

Yes. I've been preaching to everyone that they cannot be pigs and cannot leave anything laying around. Same as I have mentioned regarding ants. I see ants around a piece of a cookie that someone dropped and didn't pick up. With three kids that idea is tough to enforce. Everyone in the house complains but when I mention that people drops things and don't pick it up... everyone gets quiet. <_<

#72 BIG POPPA

BIG POPPA

Duke of Errrrl

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25144 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 06:03 AM

I have a fairly clean home, I think. Definitely wouldn't classify as dirty. But I usually have a couple of field mice come in from the wooded area out back. I use poison blocks in the boxes they go in. If I see them for more than a couple days I'll break out a trap. I use peanut butter exclusively. 

#73 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35775 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 09:56 AM

Yeah, I honestly don't think their primary concern is food when they come inside... I think it's warmth. The vast majority of my mice activity is when it's cold outside.

#74 BIG POPPA

BIG POPPA

Duke of Errrrl

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25144 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:05 AM

I get a couple mice and some mahogany bugs every winter, but for some reason they just flip over on their backs and wave at me. Must be the barrier that I laid down each year getting 'em.

#75 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35775 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:15 AM

WHOO BOY! Walk the plank, monkeyfighters!

#76 Augie91

Augie91

Rocket

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19474 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:20 AM

Walk the plank is pretty lethal!!  I'd put that out anytime.  I wonder if you rigged that up nightly how many mice you'd catch over the summer?

#77 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23025 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:27 AM

Somebody could make some money if the mass produced those walk the plank devices. Fit s in a standard Lowes and Home Depot bucket.

#78 japh

japh

Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10422 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 25 April 2018 - 12:40 PM

The 14 year old shrieked in the middle of the night last night.  Saw a mouse on the way back from the bathroom.

#79 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35775 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 12:50 PM

The 14 year old shrieked in the middle of the night last night.  Saw a mouse on the way back from the bathroom.

I always hear that they really have no desire to be in the same living space where humans hang out. They do want to be CLOSE to us because we're pigs and leave things behind for them but they are supposed to stay inside of walls, ceilings and areas that are generally forgotten. Still, I hear stories like this. My BIL told me he was sitting in the kitchen late one night when everyone was asleep. He felt something by his foot and sure enough there was a mouse right next to him. WTF.

#80 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23025 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 25 April 2018 - 01:10 PM

When I was living in New York City, I had some mice living under the kitchen sink cabinet. I would see them in broad daylight. One day I sat still and had one come across the room and sniff my shoe.

I would hear the traps snap in the bathroom when I was i the living space. These were bold and fearless little bastards. They seems as interested in gathering nesting materials as finding food.

Then I moved to a 5th floor apartment in a modern high rise in New Jersey and never saw another mouse again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users