#41 Augie91

Augie91

Rocket

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18893 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:25 PM

I have not had any customers lately.  Thought for sure I'd get some nibbling in the garage.  

#42 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33290 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:47 PM

I have not had any customers lately.  Thought for sure I'd get some nibbling in the garage.

They didn't mess with the pellets at all? That's a pretty good sign. All of the pellets that I put down were originally tampered with for a day or 2 and then all activity ceased. Maybe it comes down to just making things as hard for them as possible. If it's easier for them to get into the Klopek's house... so much the better. :D

#43 Augie91

Augie91

Rocket

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18893 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:27 PM

That or they don't like the taste or are not attracted to the one's I put out.

#44 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8501 posts
  • Location38.362783, -85.311367 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:43 PM

Bait stations outside. Traps inside.

#45 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33290 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:40 AM

I went outside to take the garbage out and saw these tracks in the snow...

Notice the line running along the snow... a tail I assume.
mouse1.jpg

For some scale, here's my footprint.
mouse2.jpg

Also in the yard there was rabbit and squirrel tracks that were very clear and much, much larger. The tracks in these pics come from the neighbor's yard and towards my chimney... then along the chimney and finally away from the house and towards the front yard. It may or may not be a clue on how the mice get into the basement. The only other thing I can assume is that this is a chipmunk but a chipmunk doesn't have a tail like that... it's bushier and wouldn't drag like this.

#46 Augie91

Augie91

Rocket

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18893 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:41 PM

My experience is chipmunks have gone underground by now doing their hibernating thing.  We got lots of chippers and I have not seen one in about a month.  Snow always has interesting clues......I need to check out and see if I can find any!

#47 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33290 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:27 AM

I showed those pics to my FIL last night and he said "squirrel or rabbit". I told him I saw clear (and much bigger) tracks in the snow by rabbits and squirrels and when I said "mouse" he said, "No way, too big for a mouse". But if it's not a mouse then I don't know what it is. That line running between the tracks says TAIL to me and what else would drag a tail behind it that would make that line? Not squirrel, rabbit, chipmunk, skunk...

#48 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22735 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:02 PM

hard to tell from the pics, but are you sure that isn't a bird?

#49 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33290 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:39 PM

hard to tell from the pics, but are you sure that isn't a bird?

Anything is possible but I would still want to know what that line is and nothing about any of the tracks show an actual bird's "feet". There also don't seem to be ANY birds around at all since we've gotten into this subzero chill. None flying around and none on the ground. This bird would have to be jumping from track to track.

#50 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15587 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:43 PM

It's a rat.

#51 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22735 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 02:17 PM

It's a rat.

this guy is from lagrange...he knows rodents.

#52 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33290 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 02:47 PM

Again, anything is possible but I've never seen a rat around here. Never caught one either.

#53 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22012 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:29 PM

Again, anything is possible but I've never seen a rat around here. Never caught one either.

If people are around, rats are around. Maybe the north and south poles are an exception.

#54 Augie91

Augie91

Rocket

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18893 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:42 PM

Could it be small opossum?

Edited by AUGIE1991, 28 December 2017 - 03:42 PM.

#55 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33290 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:50 PM

Could it be small opossum?

I think it could be a baby something although I'm not sure what. In this area I do see possums, mice, chipmunks, skunks, raccoons, rabbits, birds. These tracks seem very small compared to the rabbit tracks I saw near them.

If people are around, rats are around. Maybe the north and south poles are an exception.

I assume that's true but I have never seen one or heard of an issue with them in this area. There are plenty of restaurants and stores within a short distance so it's always possible, I guess.

#56 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22735 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:57 PM

keep following the trail to find the culprit.

#57 Augie91

Augie91

Rocket

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18893 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:58 PM

You saw rabbit tracks nearby.....could be baby bunny.

#58 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22735 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:00 PM

You saw rabbit tracks nearby.....could be baby bunny.

that would explain why it appears to hop. if it was a mouse, it seems like it would have to be standing on its hind feet and hopping along to make tracks that look like that.

#59 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33290 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:04 PM

that would explain why it appears to hop. if it was a mouse, it seems like it would have to be standing on its hind feet and hopping along to make tracks that look like that.

Yeah, that's true. What's weird is that the tracks came from different directions and then went off in different directions. I agree though... I don't think a mouse would hop like that so whatever it was it must have been "tall" enough not to disturb more of the snow. Still... that line running between the prints seems like a tail to me.

#60 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33290 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:01 AM

Update: I have had some traffic in my garage traps (all four have caught mice at one point or another and I had two at once one morning) and still a small amount in the basement. The pellets I put out didn't seem to lower the traffic as far as I can tell. At some point I noticed more activity in the small shed in the far corner of my yard so I fashioned one of those bucket traps with the "rolling pin" like this:

I fashioned mine out of a smaller bucket and a wooden rod I cut to size and put two small nails in the ends of the dowel. The secret is obviously to have the rod spin freely and have no low points otherwise it won't work. I put it into the shed and the peanut butter was gone without catching a single mouse. I was cleaning that shed last weekend and I put the bucket trap outside the shed and left it there. This morning I went out there and sure enough there was a dead mouse in the water. I have ordered a stainless, professionally-fabricated roller (like the one in the vid) and I will try that trick again. Clearly I have to stay in attack mode... these things must multiply at an alarming rate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users