90 replies to this topic

#21 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33294 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:56 PM

Update: One of the traps I put in the garage has had two customers in the past week. The other one has been quiet. Also, all of the spots where I put the pellets have shown some activity. In the one spot I built a little "pellet house" out of a plastic container with a fitted lid. I cut a 'door' in it, put the pellets in there and then I put a rock on the whole thing to keep it from going anywhere. Yesterday morning the rock was off of it, the container had been separated from the lid and pellets were laying everywhere suggesting that a larger rodent was interested in it. I put it all back together. As far as the trap in the garage, I went to the front corner of the garage and saw a small opening that looked large enough for a mouse to crawl through. I filled that with Great Stuff this morning. I also bought 2 new traps and put them on either side of the overhead door. I figure that if I catch them outside or kill them with the pellets further out in the yard and all of that translates to fewer (or NO) mice in the house, it's a big improvement.

#22 Augie91

Augie91

Rocket

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18893 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:00 PM

ER where you getting the pellets from.  I don't have any traps in my garage.  You've inspired me to go a little more hardcore and attack in my garage area.  I'd be shocked if they are not out there.

#23 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33294 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:12 PM

ER where you getting the pellets from.  I don't have any traps in my garage.  You've inspired me to go a little more hardcore and attack in my garage area.  I'd be shocked if they are not out there.

I found this at my local Ace Hardware:

mousex.jpg

It works by dehydrating the mice. I mentioned earlier that I found A LOT of activity in one of my sheds. I cleaned it all up but the activity continued which is when I started with the pellets. The pellets had been tampered with for 4-5 days in a row and now it looks like all activity in the shed has stopped. Does that mean they're dead? When you see activity does that mean the same mouse or group of mice or would it be a constant thing with different mice all the time? Not sure on any of that. When I put the pellets in the garage and saw activity right away I was mildly surprised because that suggests that there are mice in the garage pretty much every night. The fact that I caught two out there in a week tells me that they're getting in there, no question. Also: A note on the pellets. They often take them to where they want to eat them or hide them. They don't just eat them where you put them. As a result, you may find the pellets in places that you didn't put them which can be very unsettling. I put them on a shelf in the shed and then found them inside of a decorative backyard basket. My BIL put the green pellets in his basement and a couple weeks later my SIL was vacuuming the sofa and found pellets under the cushions! In their living room! :o I think these things are safe for pets but maybe keep the pellets away from pets if possible.

#24 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:35 PM

Its a short term victory killing them. Long term is closing everything up tight so they can't get in.

#25 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33294 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:39 PM

Its a short term victory killing them. Long term is closing everything up tight so they can't get in.

Yeah, I get no pleasure out of killing them in the basement. But keeping them from getting into the house would be a victory for me. I have never had any of these measures out in the yard and in the garage so I'll be watching closely to see how the winter goes. An article I read said that many people like a humane way to deal with the mice. Some traps allow the mouse in and then trap it without killing it so you can release it. But are you going to drive 20 miles to release it? :D The article stated that killing them with snap traps is considered humane because the kill is very quick with no suffering. These JAWZ traps I have are a quick kill, for sure. It also said that "glue traps" are the least humane because the mouse suffers and often tries to chew off its leg to get free. Lastly, the article mentioned that mice are naturally curious and inquisitive, have an acute sense of smell and are also excellent climbers. That last part concerns me a little.

#26 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35477 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:42 PM

True enough. Easier said than done sometimes

#27 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:44 PM

I don't worry about humane with them. Break their neck with a shovel when they are stuck on a sticky trap. I spent a bit of time fixing my garage door seal where they had gnawed it on the corners and am keeping them out now. I killed them for 17 years and finally worked on keeping them out. Working so far. They are nasty crapping vermin.

#28 Augie91

Augie91

Rocket

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18893 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:58 PM

I just realized I got some Just One Bite 2 pellets that are a similar beast as yours ER.  Tomorrow I will lay some out in the garage and by my wood pile to see if I get any activity!  Will update with results  :devil:

#29 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33294 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 08:29 PM

I don't worry about humane with them. Break their neck with a shovel when they are stuck on a sticky trap. I spent a bit of time fixing my garage door seal where they had gnawed it on the corners and am keeping them out now. I killed them for 17 years and finally worked on keeping them out. Working so far. They are nasty crapping vermin.

I hear all of that. I have no desire to be humane with them. The biggest issue I have right now is that I can't see the areas where they might get in. There are just too many possibilities if they can get through a hole the width of a pencil. So as I find possible spots I fill them in and in the meantime I try to stop them along the perimeter and in the garage.

#30 Augie91

Augie91

Rocket

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18893 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:08 PM

That's a good strategy.  You are right, there's too many areas of entry to stop them from getting in.

#31 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35477 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:43 PM

That's a good strategy. You are right, there's too many areas of entry to stop them from getting in.

My house is from like 1904 or something. Super hard to find all the potential spots of entry.

#32 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33294 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:50 PM

My house is from like 1904 or something. Super hard to find all the potential spots of entry.

Right. And then I read that they're excellent climbers? That means that it's not enough to look along the foundation. It could be anywhere higher up too.

#33 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:47 AM

I hear all of that. I have no desire to be humane with them. The biggest issue I have right now is that I can't see the areas where they might get in. There are just too many possibilities if they can get through a hole the width of a pencil. So as I find possible spots I fill them in and in the meantime I try to stop them along the perimeter and in the garage.

Sounds like my wellhouse which is thankfully 100ft from my house. I gave up on it and put one of the bucket traps in it. I empty 5or so carcasses out of it every few months. It doesnt have water in it anymore. They just run up the board and fall in.
Maybe a good solution for your buildings.
I had good luck with cayenne pepper on my car engine bays so I dumped a bunch of it in the wellhouse a few weeks ago. I need to check the bucket and see if the pepper has kept them out.

I meant to add last nite on using sticky traps. I was losing more of them as mice dragged them off stuck to them. Started stapling the trap to a wood block. Now they work and helped me clean out the garage after sealing it off. I hate those shitheads leaving black smears of god knows what all over stuff I'm handling.

#34 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33294 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:29 AM

Sounds like my wellhouse which is thankfully 100ft from my house. I gave up on it and put one of the bucket traps in it. I empty 5or so carcasses out of it every few months. It doesnt have water in it anymore. They just run up the board and fall in.
Maybe a good solution for your buildings.
I had good luck with cayenne pepper on my car engine bays so I dumped a bunch of it in the wellhouse a few weeks ago. I need to check the bucket and see if the pepper has kept them out.

I meant to add last nite on using sticky traps. I was losing more of them as mice dragged them off stuck to them. Started stapling the trap to a wood block. Now they work and helped me clean out the garage after sealing it off. I hate those shitheads leaving black smears of god knows what all over stuff I'm handling.

Yeah, it's pretty disgusting. About a week ago I was in the corner of my yard where my charcoal grills are located. I took the top off of one of them where I had last made ribs about 2 months ago probably. The foil pan that had water (and eventually drippings from the ribs) was still in there. The pan was now filled with thousands of little mouse turds. They have shredded garden gloves, gotten into Christmas candy that my wife left in a bag in my beer bunker and God knows what else. This is fargin' war. :D

#35 Augie91

Augie91

Rocket

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18893 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:59 AM

Right. And then I read that they're excellent climbers? That means that it's not enough to look along the foundation. It could be anywhere higher up too.

I have caught them in my second floor attic of all places :(
They run up the corners under the siding I was told by exterminator. Pack the corners with steel wool to prevent.

#36 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33294 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:14 AM

No new activity this morning. My garage now has a trap in all four corners plus two 'pellet stations'. I haven't had a mouse inside for awhile now... maybe a month. I'm going to pay close attention to how things go and try to fine-tune things based on the activity. I'll try to use their movement as my guide to look for better strategies. One thing I read is that they typically walk along a wall and rarely go out into open spaces. My traps are all along the wall so they basically HAVE to walk onto the trap or else go around it. I'll consider it a victory to just keep them out of the house. Sometimes my wife goes into the storage closet in the basement first thing in the morning and she'll find the deceased before I do... not good. :D

#37 Augie91

Augie91

Rocket

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18893 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:50 AM

Put down some bait in corners.  Curious to see if I get activity....

#38 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33294 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:18 AM

Another update: There hasn't been any activity in the house, garage or shed since I used the spray foam and closed up some areas that may have given them easy access. I had two customers in the same trap in the garage which led to using the foam to close the gaps. Now I have a trap in each corner of the garage plus two traps in the basement plus pellets in the garage, the shed and out near my stack of firewood. Everything has been quiet. Over the weekend one of the traps in the garage had been tripped but there was no customer. That could have been a lucky mouse but it could have just been the trap too. These things are uber-sensitive and they snap easily. I've hand one in my hand that was loaded and set and just walking to the spot where I wanted to place it... SNAP!!! right off my hand, up in the air and onto the ground. The weather is getting colder so activity should be up. More later...

#39 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:04 PM

Another update: There hasn't been any activity in the house, garage or shed since I used the spray foam and closed up some areas that may have given them easy access. I had two customers in the same trap in the garage which led to using the foam to close the gaps. Now I have a trap in each corner of the garage plus two traps in the basement plus pellets in the garage, the shed and out near my stack of firewood. Everything has been quiet. Over the weekend one of the traps in the garage had been tripped but there was no customer. That could have been a lucky mouse but it could have just been the trap too. These things are uber-sensitive and they snap easily. I've hand one in my hand that was loaded and set and just walking to the spot where I wanted to place it... SNAP!!! right off my hand, up in the air and onto the ground. The weather is getting colder so activity should be up. More later...

Great. Close it off then you just have to kill the ones already there.

#40 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35477 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:15 PM

I have caught them in my second floor attic of all places :(
They run up the corners under the siding I was told by exterminator. Pack the corners with steel wool to prevent.

:stabby:

Good tip!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users