90 replies to this topic

#1 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33656 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:05 PM

I have a trap in my basement that is by far the most active. I placed it there because I found some evidence and it's situated in such a way that I thought I might be able to tell which direction the mouse came from based on how it was in the trap when I caught it. I've caught three in that trap since August on they all suggested that they came from the front of the house. I inspected some areas and found a gap where a water line comes out between the bricks for my sprinkler. The gap looked like it might be big enough for a mouse and there also seemed to be some whitish-grayish film on the brick and the water line... suggesting that mice may have squeezed through there. I filled that void with steel wool and then used some outdoor caulk to seal the rest.

Next I found some evidence in my shed when I was putting stuff away for the winter. A gardening glove and some paper towels had been chewed up and used as fluff for their nest. So I got some Mouse-X pellets and put those out there. They took a bunch of it over a week or two and now the activity has stopped. I also built a little "house" out of a plastic container... I cut a door into it and placed that out by my firewood and put some pellets in there. The pellets were chewed up and there was poop in there the next morning. I also placed some pellets in the garage in two spots. One has had activity and one has not. I figure that if I can get to them before they get to the house maybe I can keep them out.

#2 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39886 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:46 PM

We're voting on your manhood based on the updates in this thread. Dont lose.

#3 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27752 posts
  • LocationKC - Kansas side

Posted 20 November 2017 - 04:38 PM

They can get through cracks you never thought possible.  Keep your grain protected

#4 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33656 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 04:49 PM

They can get through cracks you never thought possible.  Keep your grain protected

Right. I first heard that they could get through a hole the size of a dime. Then I heard it was a hole the width of a pencil. That's a pretty high standard assuming that everyone's house is going to settle and create some spots. My wife thinks that no one else has mice and the only reason we have them is the grain. My grain is in big plastic bins with tight-fitting lids. Occasionally I have an unopened 55lb sack of malt that is too big for the bins so it just sits on a shelf... I have never had grain sacks with holes in them. Not once. As far as I know the mice have never hit my grain supply. This Mouse-X is supposed to dehydrate them. Ima dry these feckers OUT! :D

We're voting on your manhood based on the updates in this thread. Dont lose.

Mmm, that makes me a little nervous but I'm up to it! :D

#5 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9675 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:00 PM

Did you get a cat?

#6 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39886 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:01 PM

Did you get a cat?

If yes, please explain your answer using short comtrolled bursts of profanity

#7 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9675 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:06 PM

If yes, please explain your answer using short comtrolled bursts of profanity

Especially if you had a cat (or in my case, 3), and instead of hunting and dispatching said mice a la the Predator, they'd rather sit and stare at the damn thing, rather than kill it.

Disclaimer: we don't have mice, but when we've had other pests (spiders, flies, ladybugs, etc.) in the house, our little guys would sit and watch the pest do its thing, rather than kill it, as nature intended.

Bastards.

#8 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27752 posts
  • LocationKC - Kansas side

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:17 PM

Right. I first heard that they could get through a hole the size of a dime. Then I heard it was a hole the width of a pencil. That's a pretty high standard assuming that everyone's house is going to settle and create some spots. My wife thinks that no one else has mice and the only reason we have them is the grain. My grain is in big plastic bins with tight-fitting lids. Occasionally I have an unopened 55lb sack of malt that is too big for the bins so it just sits on a shelf... I have never had grain sacks with holes in them. Not once. As far as I know the mice have never hit my grain supply. This Mouse-X is supposed to dehydrate them. Ima dry these feckers OUT! :D

Mmm, that makes me a little nervous but I'm up to it! :D

Tell her they only want to find warm places in the winter.  But if it's too warm the prefer to stay outside or find another house.

Seriously, we get mice from time to time.  Brewing and cooking grains have never been gotten into.  Cooking grains really aren't kept the way I think they should be stored.  One I choose to state once and let it drop.........

#9 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:22 PM

Ken, I saw in another thread where you were throwing grain out in the yard. This attracts mice to your house. My wife was throwing food outside and we ended up with rats in our crawlspace. I ended up trapping them all and closed up a small space they were getting in ~1/2" high.

When it started getting cold we had major issues with chipmunks nesting on our outside car engines. I made some capsaisin spray from habaneros soaked in alcohol which would knock you down--didn't phase them. Ended up putting fine ground cayenne pepper all over the engines and engine bays and it has kept them out.

The pic below is activity after less than 12 hours. I cleaned out the engine bay after my wife got home and  this was in the morning.

QoTxXPw.png

#10 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22151 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:02 PM

Try the fox urine products. I cannot say for sure if they work, but they do smell like piss.

If small animals carefree off by predictor loss, this will do the trick.

#11 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33656 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:12 AM

Ken, I saw in another thread where you were throwing grain out in the yard. This attracts mice to your house. My wife was throwing food outside and we ended up with rats in our crawlspace. I ended up trapping them all and closed up a small space they were getting in ~1/2" high.

When it started getting cold we had major issues with chipmunks nesting on our outside car engines. I made some capsaisin spray from habaneros soaked in alcohol which would knock you down--didn't phase them. Ended up putting fine ground cayenne pepper all over the engines and engine bays and it has kept them out.

The pic below is activity after less than 12 hours. I cleaned out the engine bay after my wife got home and  this was in the morning.
QoTxXPw.png

Wow. This I have not seen but we do have chipmunks here. The grain outside is a good point but lately it has all been thrown away except for maybe a small amount after I hose out the MT. I will keep that in mind though... no need to attract anyone. So far since I started this I have not had a mouse caught in a trap yet. Each of these spots that I placed the pellets has had some activity and then it dropped off. It seems very much like a losing battle but maybe the key is to fight it as well as possible and just keep them at a distance.

As far as the grain and my wife's opinion... in our last house we were getting the dishwasher replaced and the guy came out and disconnected the old one and pulled it out of its spot... Um, sir... can you come here a minute?... the floor was littered with mouse poop and Tootsie Roll wrappers (one of my wife's favorites at the time). So that means they were going to the pantry where the candy was stored and then under the dishwasher. Not good.

#12 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35760 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:25 AM

Poison them

#13 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22151 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:52 AM

Try the fox urine products. I cannot say for sure if they work, but they do smell like piss.

If small animals carefree off by predictor loss, this will do the trick.

This is the stuff I am talking about. It is cheap enough that makes it worth a try. I picked up some cheap dishes at the dollar store, filled them up and left them around. I never heard any varmits in the attic since. (I also discovered some openings under the eves and I blocked them up at the same time.  Hard to say exactly what fixed the problem)

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B00U0HHYCK/

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B005VZYCLM/

#14 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24836 posts
  • Locationthe atomic city

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:02 AM

QoTxXPw.png

Had similar experience with squirrels.  Mrs. Toon's van started making really weird noises.  I looked at the engine, it had wiring chewed up.  Took it to a local shop for them to fix.  Apparently, having the van gone overnight was enough for them to not come back.

#15 Augie91

Augie91

Rocket

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18943 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:23 AM

We get one in the basement occasionally.  Always same trap, and they appear to be coming from wall cavity.  My theory is they are getting into my attic, cause there is evidence of them up there.  I'm guessing then they are crawling down through the wall or utilizing the hvac system to get into the basement.  Bugs the heck out of me, once I think I got it figured out one shows up :(

#16 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33656 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:07 AM

We get one in the basement occasionally.  Always same trap, and they appear to be coming from wall cavity.  My theory is they are getting into my attic, cause there is evidence of them up there.  I'm guessing then they are crawling down through the wall or utilizing the hvac system to get into the basement.  Bugs the heck out of me, once I think I got it figured out one shows up :(

I always wondered about the attic. I have one above the garage that is my "main attic" with storage, etc. Then there is an attic above the bedrooms upstairs with A LOT of insulation, etc. and there is no real reason to go up there. I don't store anything up there. I went up there to run a cable line to our bathroom and that was the extent of it. Would mice put the effort into climbing that high to gain access to the attic when there would probably be far easier access along the foundation? If their intention was just to "get warm", I would wonder about the attic access. I do not see evidence up there but it's hard to tell with all the insulation up there.

#17 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33656 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:58 AM

You always hear a lot of the same things when you check out "mouse behavior". They don't really want to be in your house. They'll come in specifically for warmth or food. They have a great sense of smell. If you leave a bag of dog food in your garage or screen porch, they'll pick up the scent. They move around at night, generally. They try to stay out of common areas of the house where humans and pets would be. They stick to "forgotten areas" of your house: in dirty corners of your basement, in the walls if they find a reason to go in there, under appliances or cabinets, in the attic or garage, etc. They generally don't "nest" in your house... they come in and get what they need and leave. I occasionally see them in the pool when I go out there in the morning. Sometimes they're swimming and sometimes they're floating. Sometimes they have gotten to a rung on the ladder so they're out of the water but they can't get anywhere else so they're just sitting there stuck on the ladder so now I have a choice: get the net and fling them into the Klopek's yard or knock them back into the water. :D

#18 Augie91

Augie91

Rocket

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18943 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:50 PM

I'm glad they stay out of my area.  I must admit there is a certain amount of adrenaline flow when I hear "SNAP"  down in the basement.  

I think they could access a house from an attached garage attic.  That might be my issue too.  I blocked off all the corner siding outside with steel wool.  But there is still signs of them in the attic areas.  

#19 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39886 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:45 PM

I was reading a report that says it's ok to kill mice if you piss on their grave afterwards.  Their mass grave.  Don't forget to jiggle the handle afterwards.  

#20 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33656 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:46 PM

I was reading a report that says it's ok to kill mice if you piss on their grave afterwards.  Their mass grave.  Don't forget to jiggle the handle afterwards.

Oh, ima jiggle it. Ima jiggle it REAL good!! :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users