#1 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:46 AM

Disclaimer: I normally compost my spent grains after each brewday.

However, I'm at the point where I've got more spent grains than space to compost them, so the next couple of batches' worth of grain will likely have to hit the garbage.

My much better half has made this a bit of a priority, as she's not too happy seeing spent grains in the backyard, and I'm not keen on creating any static about brewdays.

That said, for those of you who don't/can't compost your grains:

Do you do anything special to cool the spent grains down before bagging, or do you just let them cool down on their own?

I was thinking I could add a gallon or 2 of water to the tun post-sparge, let it sit a bit to cool, then drain the tun dry and then bag the grains.

Beer forum BT, go!

#2 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 19 November 2017 - 11:09 AM

Mine go to a local farmer buddy of mine, only 10 min from my house.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 11:47 AM

I don't have a compost and I brew relatively frequently so I have had to confront this. Occasionally I will throw some around in the backyard and let the birds (or whoever) enjoy it but to be honest... it's been getting a little WILD KINGDOM around here so I don't do that very much. I have also used it as a fertilizer around shrubs and flowers but again... that would not stop critters from lunching on it. So on brewday once my boil has begun and my MT is drained, I go out to the garage with the MT and a garbage bag and I just dump it in there warm. It's probably in the 140° range. I let it sit there on the garage floor for some amount of time and eventually tie it up and toss it in my big rolling garbage can. If I were industrious enough to make bread or something out of I would totally do that but... I'm not industrious enough.

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:05 PM

Mine are all composted or spread in the garden. If you have a neighbor gardener they would likely appreciate them for their garden or compost.

#5 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:48 PM

Mine are all composted or spread in the garden. If you have a neighbor gardener they would likely appreciate them for their garden or compost.

chicken farmers too

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:51 PM

Oh yeah... I do spread them around in my raised-bed garden for fertilizer too. If the weather is warm(er) then you'll want to spread them in a thin layer otherwise they will start to stink to the heavens. An actual "pile" of them will send waves of stink across entire neighborhoods.

#7 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 19 November 2017 - 04:12 PM

Whatever you do, don't pile them in a bin in the yard. The smell is horrible.

#8 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 19 November 2017 - 04:20 PM

Veggie beds but they are overloaded most of the time.  I tried local chicken people - flakes that never showed for a supply of free food.

Our trash pickup will do compost yard trash but I can't use trash bags.  I really don't want to just throw them in the trash.

#9 EnkAMania

EnkAMania

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:32 AM

In Seattle, the city picks up compost.  I do use 4 cups of grain for dog biscuits.

#10 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:38 AM

Place heavy plastic trash bag inside "Orange" Homey bucket. Dump grains inside. Tie in a knot. Here's the trick: put said bucket next to if not on top of the garbage can. THEN REMEMBER TO THROW BAG INSIDE THE CAN ON TRASH PICK UP DAY OR WHEW!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A STINKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:54 AM

To test this out yesterday, i simply left the cooler open for a couple of hours after the sparge was done, and let the grain bed cool off on its own.

Used a garden trowel to stir/turn the grains every 10-15 minutes, and by the time the boil was done, the grains were down to ~100°.

Once the brewday was done and I was in clean-up mode, i scooped the grains into a garbage bag, tied it off, and into the dumpster with it. 

The cooler then got a hosing to get the last little bits of grain out.  Easy peasy.

#12 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:47 AM

I've put it down our street drain which leads to the lake across the street. Not recommended w/o rain. Another stinker.

#13 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:35 PM

Create a small bed in a shaded area using spent grains, sawdust (or wood chips) and coffee grounds (optional - mix in some good quality hay).  Inoculate with mushroom spawn (check out the Fungi Perfecti website), wait a while and harvest gourmet mushrooms.

ETA - talking about edible mushrooms, not hallucinogens.

Edited by armagh, 21 November 2017 - 12:36 PM.

#14 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:50 PM

Create a small bed in a shaded area using spent grains, sawdust (or wood chips) and coffee grounds (optional - mix in some good quality hay).  Inoculate with mushroom spawn (check out the Fungi Perfecti website), wait a while and harvest gourmet mushrooms.

Would this be possible in my spirit crushing SFL heat?

#15 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:51 AM

Would this be possible in my spirit crushing SFL heat?

Works up here, where it gets just as hot.  Look for white/pearl oysters or pink oysters.  They don't mind heat.  Shitakes might work as well.

#16 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47781 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:09 AM

To test this out yesterday, i simply left the cooler open for a couple of hours after the sparge was done, and let the grain bed cool off on its own.

Used a garden trowel to stir/turn the grains every 10-15 minutes, and by the time the boil was done, the grains were down to ~100°.

Once the brewday was done and I was in clean-up mode, i scooped the grains into a garbage bag, tied it off, and into the dumpster with it. 

The cooler then got a hosing to get the last little bits of grain out.  Easy peasy.

That's pretty much what I do.  I was going to mention that if you DON'T wait for some cooldown, you'll probably melt a regular trash bag.

I also save things like water softener salt bags or dog food bags if I'm planning a brewday.  They're much sturdier and will take a lot more heat.  I put the sealable garbage bag inside one of the stronger bags.

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:21 AM

I am glad I just dump mine in the back and let the deer have at it!

#18 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:10 AM

This is what I do as well.

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 November 2017 - 04:14 AM

mine go in the compost.  not sure what animals eat it other than worms.  maybe birds?

I occasionally put some in zip lock bags and freeze them and then use them to make dinner rolls.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users