#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:23 PM

It's my turn to host the super secret brew group. I'm really tempted to buy a holocaust cloak on amazon and make some sort of hokie brewing medallion to wear. But that's besides the point...

We formed this group to take on higher level brewing subjects. As the host this month I'm supposed to come up with a theme for the meeting. Last month was NE IPA. Now there's a host of things I know enough about to be dangerous, I don't pretend to be an expert on any brewing subject. I'm not sure what to research for the meeting.

Things I'm well versed in... German Ales, delicate beer brewing, process controls.

I'd like to do German beers, but I don't have anything to share and getting good examples is REEEALLY tough.

The people in this group already have a lot of process controls, they're not noobs.

The other thing I can do is use the group as a sounding board and use them to find information on something I'm interested in. Like I mentioned in another thread, I would like to brew a bunch of IPA's. I haven't done much IPA brewing. I have a good idea of how to go about it, but without having even a starting off point beer to share it seems a bit useless. Maybe I could find a bunch of commercial beers that use conventional C-hops and compare them against some of the newer hop beers.

I dunno, I don't feel strongly about anything and I have a week and a half to come up with something.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53516 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:15 AM

Higher level brewing subjects or... poke holes in long-held brewing theories? I only say that because we bounce around A LOT of stuff on this board where people aren't sure or maybe THIS works for him but THAT works for him, etc. Do you want to turn your group into a second coming of Brulosophy? Maybe look at some of the low-O2 stuff? Conditioning your malt? BTB or SMB? How does your group feel about 30 minute boils or the quick-lager method? How do people in your group feel about dry yeast and how do they prepare it for brewing... for ales AND for lagers? How to they fine their beers? I'm just throwing stuff out hoping something will help. Oh, I like the hokie brewing medallion thing, btw. :D

#3 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:16 AM

It's not necessarily to be like brulosophy. We want to improve our combined knowledge of brewing through study, experimentation, and practice.

I've considered the low O2 stuff, but other than to introduce the group to brew-tan it's not much of a conversation. I've only used it a couple times and another member is much more well versed in oxidation issues and is better suited to talk about it. My contribution would sound more like a sales pitch than a serious discussion.

The quick lager method might be worth going over. I'm the most experienced practitioner of that method in the group and I'm often asked about it at regular meetings. I only know for sure that one other member uses it from the super secret group.

Dry yeast is a maybe, I don't use it out of habit and fear of change. (another good reason to get a 5 gallon system going)

Any other suggestions?

#4 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:26 AM

Seems to be some interest in the quick lager method from the members...

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53516 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:19 PM

I thought I would mention those things for multiple reasons: 1) you can sometimes save time (and/or money) doing something "new" like the quick lager method or the 30m boil. 2) Some of these things can make you a better brewer which would go along with the "higher level of brewing". 3) It's a way to stay on top of new things that happen in the hobby. I feel like if someone checked out for 2 years or so, a lot of new things come up on the brewing radar and some people are checked into that and some are not. When I say "Brulosophy", I don't mean experimenting and comparing this to that as much as I mean that some of the long-held brewing beliefs have been challenged. I always mention that a woman that runs a LHBS here always tells me to boil for 90 minutes when I order pilsner malt. Not only do I not boil for 90, I don't even boil for 60. If I told her that I think I would break her brain. :lol:

#6 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:49 PM

5 out of 8 (myself excluded want to hear on the quick lager, so I guess I better get researching and writing up some notes on my own experiences. I'll post the presentation here when it's done so you guys can criticize me and call me names.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53516 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:26 PM

5 out of 8 (myself excluded want to hear on the quick lager, so I guess I better get researching and writing up some notes on my own experiences. I'll post the presentation here when it's done so you guys can criticize me and call me names.

I would not call you names. Except Schwanz. I would call you Schwanz. :D

#8 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:53 PM

We had the meeting last night. My presentation went well. Good beers were consumed. We now have 2 women in the group! They are both excellent brewers and I am really happy to have their pallets to try my beer. I'm always dumbfounded about how sniper like women can be with picking out flavors in beer. 

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:05 PM

wooden-pallet.png

#10 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 07:05 PM

So the president of the normal club asked me to do this presentation for this months meeting. I'm gonna revamp it a little since I learned a little (about presenting it) when I gave it the first time.

#11 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:46 AM

It's no secret that women have far better palates than men, so the observation is not surprising.

#12 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:36 PM

Did the presentation for the main club tonight. Did well. People liked it. I give good presentations when I drink. Got 2nd place in a regional comp in college for presenting my senior project. My trick was to drink before hand. I'm way more fun when I drink.

#13 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:14 AM

I'm always more fun when I drink too. Did you imagine all the people in your audience were naked?

#14 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

Comptroller of BigBossMan

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:11 PM

wooden-pallet.png

Sexy.

#15 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:34 PM

I'm always more fun when I drink too. Did you imagine all the people in your audience were naked?

No, i'm not into overweight hairy dudes and old women. Average weight is probably around 210 and average age is probably around 45. Not a great image for your brain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users