#1 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 10 November 2017 - 05:27 PM

10 minutes left in the mash on a Blue Moon clone. 8lb malt and 3.5lbs of pastry flour. No flaked wheat anywhere in town. Did a beta glucan rest at 110f and a protein rest at 129f. Sacc rest at 150. Here we go.
!

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 10 November 2017 - 06:38 PM

I see a long sparge in your future.  Sounds like something I would do though  B)  just because...........

#3 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:32 PM

Well that sucked. Many restirs and blow backs thru the sparge hose and I realized it wasn't gonna drain. Pulled 1/2 the mash, heated it to 165f, heated the sparge water to boiling and dumped it all in. The whole volume was 173f. Got it to drain. Almost done with the boil now.

Sometimes I like to be a dumbass.

#4 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:22 PM

Insult to injury. Just splashed boiling wort on my belly carrying the pot in. Not good. Looks like it may bubble.

#5 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:49 PM

We've all done something like that just because we can.

And in a few weeks it'll be beer. 

#6 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:04 PM

next time use wheat berries?

#7 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:01 AM

We've all done something like that just because we can.

And in a few weeks it'll be beer. 

Yep, that was the reason--just to see if I could do it. That was the stickiest wort I've ever made. As it chilled it was forming tough stringy 3" long protein strands like I've never seen. Efficiency ended up being 86%.

This was the first time I've tried a BG rest and was hoping it'd be a flawless run off. Ha! Heating and dilution saved the day though and the wort tasted delicious. The spent grain was compacted in the tun with the consistency of quik-crete.

Belly is just red like a sunburn today, no bubbles.

next time use wheat berries?

I'll probably plan ahead next time and order flaked wheat as I've never had a problem with it before.

Edited by Steve Urquell, 11 November 2017 - 07:02 AM.

#8 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:10 AM

I can usually find flaked wheat in my local grocery bulk section  :blush:

#9 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:22 AM

I can usually find flaked wheat in my local grocery bulk section  :blush:

My local whole foods used to have them but quit carrying it a few years ago. They do have flaked rye though. We have a new whole foods market and they don't have them either. I think I've looked everywhere around locally. I can get red wheat berries but think you need to do a cereal mash with them.

#10 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 11 November 2017 - 01:55 PM

Would Wheaties work?

#11 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:01 PM

Would Wheaties work?

Ingredients

Whole Grain Wheat, Sugar, Salt, Corn Syrup, Trisodium Phosphate. BHT Added to Preserve Freshness. Vitamins and Minerals: Zinc and Iron (Mineral Nutrients), A B Vitamin (Niacinamide), Vitamin C (Sodium Ascorbate), Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B1 (Thiamin Mononitrate), Vitamin A (Palmitate), A B Vitamin (Folic Acid), Vitamin B12, Vitamin D.

#12 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:06 PM

Would Wheaties work?

The last batch of this I brewed had 2lb of pastry flour and 2 lbs of shredded wheat which is pretty much toasted wheat and salt. I was trying to be uber cheap on this one as it is a keg for my wife's Christmas party.

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 04:53 PM

I'm mildly surprised you're making a beer like this. Blue Moon clone? Is this for someone else? Did you lose a bet? :D Just kidding. DJ mentioned that he used some masa harina in a pale lager once and I was concerned about the runoff. It was only a pound in 5 gallons, the runoff was slow but it worked. 3.5 pounds is something that I would not attempt with my system unless I had rice hulls or something.

#14 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 11 November 2017 - 06:02 PM

I'm mildly surprised you're making a beer like this. Blue Moon clone? Is this for someone else? Did you lose a bet? :D Just kidding. DJ mentioned that he used some masa harina in a pale lager once and I was concerned about the runoff. It was only a pound in 5 gallons, the runoff was slow but it worked. 3.5 pounds is something that I would not attempt with my system unless I had rice hulls or something.

It's for my wife's Christmas party. I rarely make it cuz it just sits around forever.

Wednesday I will brew an East German pils with Mangrove M76 Bavarian leger.

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 06:40 PM

It's for my wife's Christmas party. I rarely make it cuz it just sits around forever.

Wednesday I will brew an East German pils with Mangrove M76 Bavarian leger.

Mmm, keep me posted on the M76. I have two packets of it. Also, if possible let me know what liquid strain it reminds you of. When we last had this conversation, we concluded (somehow) that it was dry 2206.

Finally: What's the difference between pastry flour and just standard white flour? Is it finer or more expensive or does it come from France or what? :D

#16 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:40 PM

Mmm, keep me posted on the M76. I have two packets of it. Also, if possible let me know what liquid strain it reminds you of. When we last had this conversation, we concluded (somehow) that it was dry 2206.Finally: What's the difference between pastry flour and just standard white flour? Is it finer or more expensive or does it come from France or what? :D

Will do. Looks to have ~80% attn from a google search I found. We'll see what it does.

From what I found the last time I used it it's less refined than enriched flour with higher starch and less protein so more capable gravity yield. $1/lb bulk in the hippy market.

Edited by Steve Urquell, 11 November 2017 - 07:45 PM.

#17 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:46 PM

My local whole foods used to have them but quit carrying it a few years ago. They do have flaked rye though. We have a new whole foods market and they don't have them either. I think I've looked everywhere around locally. I can get red wheat berries but think you need to do a cereal mash with them.

you might be better of with just using some sugar and some rolled oats

#18 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:26 PM

Well that sucked. Many restirs and blow backs thru the sparge hose and I realized it wasn't gonna drain. Pulled 1/2 the mash, heated it to 165f, heated the sparge water to boiling and dumped it all in. The whole volume was 173f. Got it to drain. Almost done with the boil now.

Sometimes I like to be a dumbass.

Hmmm.   I'm sure Denny's system would've lautered this just fine.    :D

#19 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:34 PM

Hmmm.   I'm sure Denny's system would've lautered this just fine.    :D

ahhh snap!