#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:00 AM

I accidentally just did 2 mashes where I put about an extra 1/2 tsp of brewtan-b in the mash.  this is a 10 gal batch where I was supposed to put about 1/2 tsp in but instead I put in a full tsp.  :facepalm:

how bad is this?

#2 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:07 AM

What color is it this time? :)

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16519 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:08 AM

I use 3/8t. in the mash and 1/2t. in the boil for a 5 gallon batch. So it appears you used 1/8t. more than I do per 5 gallons in your mash. I am using the amount that Denny originally obtained from Joe, the company rep. 

Denny has there been any changes in that recommendation, are you still using the same amount?

Edited by neddles, 06 October 2017 - 07:08 AM.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:11 AM

i mash really thin so it's probably the same dosing rate if I had done it right.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:14 AM

it's too late for the first batch but for the second batch I could conceivably reduce the amount of brewtan I put in the boil.  good idea?

also note:  do not try to do a double brew day when you don't have plenty of time to prepare.  this is almost like new brewer levels of stress i'm experiencing right now.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:27 AM

I emailed a guy from the company that makes the product.  hopefully he'll be able to put my concerns to rest.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:30 AM

actually I think I only did this on the second batch that I haven't boiled yet so maybe I'll just put 1/2 tsp (instead of a full tsp) in the boil and call it good enough??

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:34 AM

just skip it in the boil?  Or minimize in the boil.  I had e-mailed Joe about how to use brewtan with a no-boil beer and the suggestion was all in the mash.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:37 AM

I use 3/8t. in the mash and 1/2t. in the boil for a 5 gallon batch. So it appears you used 1/8t. more than I do per 5 gallons in your mash. I am using the amount that Denny originally obtained from Joe, the company rep. 

Denny has there been any changes in that recommendation, are you still using the same amount?

These are the latest as far as I know

BrewTan Usage Instructions (Updated April 2017)

Mash/Sparge: Add 1/4 tsp per 5 gallons of mash and sparge water to the water and dissolve.

Boil: Take a small portion of hot water, stir 1/2 tsp (per 5 gallons) to dissolve. When clear, add the BrewTan to the boil before adding any whirlfloc/irish moss/kettle break.

I have mine set up as grams on my brew sheet for some reason as I think that is how it was originally given out.  I just go by that.  For 7.8g of mash water I will use 0.78g grams in the mash and 1g in the boil.

#10 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16519 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:40 AM

These are the latest as far as I know

BrewTan Usage Instructions (Updated April 2017)

Mash/Sparge: Add 1/4 tsp per 5 gallons of mash and sparge water to the water and dissolve.

Boil: Take a small portion of hot water, stir 1/2 tsp (per 5 gallons) to dissolve. When clear, add the BrewTan to the boil before adding any whirlfloc/irish moss/kettle break.

I have mine set up as grams on my brew sheet for some reason as I think that is how it was originally given out.  I just go by that.  For 7.8g of mash water I will use 0.78g grams in the mash and 1g in the boil.

Thanks. Thats what I use too. The 1/4t. in the mash becomes 3/8t. for me because most of my mash water volumes are in the 7-7.5 gallon range.

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:40 AM

okay - well with my reduced boil if I use half tsp for 10 gal and I had put the other half in the mash that seems fine.

I def used the 1/2 tsp measuring spoon for something today and brewtan is the only thing I can think of so hopefully I actually used it.  otherwise I put an extra 1/2 tsp in the mash of my first beer.

Edited by pickle_rick, 06 October 2017 - 07:41 AM.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:59 AM

alright - Joe (from the company that makes brewtan) thinks it's not a big deal.  good to know!

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:10 AM

alright - Joe (from the company that makes brewtan) thinks it's not a big deal.  good to know!

I knew you would be fine!

go have a beer now

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:13 AM

I knew you would be fine!

go have a beer now

not yet!  still need to finish batch #2.  having batch #1 into the fermentor takes a lot of the stress away.  30 min boil + preparing a mash at the same time is busy!

#15 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:41 AM

Nope, that's still the amount I use...1/4 tsp./5 gal. of mash and sparge water, 1/2 tsp. in the boil at 15 to flameout.  I don't think that the over amount will cause any problems.

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:43 AM

Nope, that's still the amount I use...1/4 tsp./5 gal. of mash and sparge water, 1/2 tsp. in the boil at 15 to flameout. I don't think that the over amount will cause any problems.

Neither did Joe. He got back to me really fast!

#17 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16519 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:11 AM

Good news on all fronts. Thanks Denny.

#18 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 06 October 2017 - 11:19 AM

Neither did Joe. He got back to me really fast!

He's a great guy who's a great homebrewer with the same desire to help others that most homebrewers have.

#19 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16519 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 11:21 AM

He's a great guy who's a great homebrewer with the same desire to help others that most homebrewers have.

Not possible. Otherwise he would be hanging out here.

#20 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 06 October 2017 - 11:39 AM

Not possible. Otherwise he would be hanging out here.

:)  I don't think I've ever seen him on any forum, so no diss to us!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users