Photo
- - - - -

I got a Northern Brewer catalog in the mail today...

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53915 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:16 PM

... and I know that most of you consider NB to be worse than Hitler but I was checking out the yeast section and... they have Omega yeast strains that are in the "Probrewer" lineup (ordinarily not available to homebrewers). These are ProBrewer strains in homebrewer packaging and are unique and generally not available to homebrewers. I don't know if this is new or not but the catalog says it's "exclusive". What I see here are about 38 different strains including Omega German Lager 1, Omega Oktoberfest, Omega Kolsch, Omega Pilsner 1 and Omega German Bock. There are a bunch of funky ones and IPA strains too. Not sure if this is news or what but thought I would share.

#2 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:28 PM

I'm pretty sure the Omega Tropical IpA is the Brett Trois. 

And what is German Lager 1 and  Pilsner 1? 

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:31 PM

I'm pretty sure the Omega Tropical IpA is the Brett Trois.

And what is German Lager 1 and Pilsner 1?

German lager 1 Compares to WLP830 and WY2124*

Pilsner 1 Compares to WLP800 and WY2001*

#4 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:59 PM

I saw that too, Ken.  But I didn't see your beloved Bayern yeast.   You've got me wanting to try some of that.

pete

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53915 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:12 PM

I saw that too, Ken.  But I didn't see your beloved Bayern yeast.   You've got me wanting to try some of that.

pete

Yeah, that was weird. I thought they may have changed the name of it or something. If they stop making it I'll have to set the building on fire. :D But I did think these other strains might be interesting to some. And by all means... get the Bayern yeast, make a nice starter for it and make a helles, pils, festbier, dunkel, vienna, etc. Such good stuff.

#6 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:18 PM

And if you find the stuff, make a nice beer like Ken said, then harvest the yeast (cleanly) and you'll be stocked for a while.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:14 AM

I'm still trying to find a way to get omega that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg on shipping.  if I needed other ingredients I could get the cost down on the per item shipping but I don't really need anything these days since I buy bulk grain and bulk hops.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:47 AM

I'm still trying to find a way to get omega that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg on shipping.  if I needed other ingredients I could get the cost down on the per item shipping but I don't really need anything these days since I buy bulk grain and bulk hops.

You have to pay to play :)

I just look at it as the same as buying a 6 pack (or 4 pack ) of beer these days.  Damn you prices!!

#9 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:46 AM

If you want to deal with NB, they have a promo going now with a discount and free shipping.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53915 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:10 AM

You have to pay to play :)

I just look at it as the same as buying a 6 pack (or 4 pack ) of beer these days.  Damn you prices!!

I keep telling myself that I'm making beer that I really enjoy and it's costing me about 50¢ per pint to produce. Imagine the money you would spend on craft beer if you didn't make any yourself.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:33 AM

https://www.brewhardware.com/ has Omeaga and I can get 4 packages shipped for 6 bucks so that is an option.

I keep telling myself that I'm making beer that I really enjoy and it's costing me about 50¢ per pint to produce. Imagine the money you would spend on craft beer if you didn't make any yourself.

I agree.  When it costs about 100 bucks a case for local NEIPAs it really appeals to me to just brew them myself.

#12 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1963 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:20 AM

should I ask why people hate NB? I've always had good luck with them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#13 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:25 AM

Because they are owned by ABI, which is on a mission to limit your choices to  only beer from the breweries they own.  If it wasn't for their slimy business practices, I wouldn't care who owned it.

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53915 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:44 AM

When they got together with Midwest they did this weird thing with their shipping which peeved me. If you don't take "priority shipping" like NEXT DAY or 2-DAY shipping, they assume that you're not in a hurry and they deprioritize your order. They might take a week just to process it. Then you have to wait for the "regular" shipping you selected as well. I ordered something that took something like 10-12 days to get to me and I called them to ask about it. They tried to explain it but it came back around to them just treating those orders like low-priority orders. I told them that I had ordered things from Rebel, Ritebrew and Label Peelers on a Monday morning and received the shipment on Tuesday afternoon and NB/MW wasn't really impressed by that. But I was. :D Does any of that mean that they are making money on the priority shipping options? I think it's possible.

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:43 AM

https://www.brewhardware.com/ has Omeaga and I can get 4 packages shipped for 6 bucks so that is an option.

I agree. When it costs about 100 bucks a case for local NEIPAs it really appeals to me to just brew them myself.

I only but one or two yeasts at a time. If I needed that many not a bad deal though.

Edited by pickle_rick, 05 October 2017 - 10:52 AM.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:56 AM

I only but one or two yeasts at a time. If I needed that many not a bad deal though.

Even 2 was not bad if I remember.  When I buy yeast I get a few to stock up.

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53915 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:14 AM

I can't remember what I paid for the Omega yeast I just finished using but if it was $8.99 and I used the blob 7 times then it was only about $1.30 per batch. I'm down with that.

#18 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:26 AM

I've been waiting for a NB deal like they have going right now b/c of a Gift Certificate I have since Christmas. I'll likely spend under $20 out of pocket and get:
Omega Bayern
Omega Kolsch
Carapils
Biofine
Carafa III
2x US-05
2x 34/70
Lactose
3# DME
and.... Universal Poppets :)

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:38 AM

I've been waiting for a NB deal like they have going right now b/c of a Gift Certificate I have since Christmas. I'll likely spend under $20 out of pocket and get:
Omega Bayern
Omega Kolsch
Carapils
Biofine
Carafa III
2x US-05
2x 34/70
Lactose
3# DME
and.... Universal Poppets :)

Love the Universal Poppet.  Curious on the Omega Kolsch as well.

#20 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:58 AM

Love the Universal Poppet.  Curious on the Omega Kolsch as well.

Mee tooo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users