#1 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47941 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 30 September 2017 - 03:53 PM

I just realized today that I've been getting my brewing water from an outside house bibb because that's the only way I can get unsoftened water.

Problem is that I need to turn those faucets off during the winter. I used to have unsoftened water in the garage sink that I used, but a couple of years ago I changed it when I thought I'd never brew again.

Not sure what to do yet.

#2 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 30 September 2017 - 04:01 PM

I just realized today that I've been getting my brewing water from an outside house bibb because that's the only way I can get unsoftened water.

Problem is that I need to turn those faucets off during the winter. I used to have unsoftened water in the garage sink that I used, but a couple of years ago I changed it when I thought I'd never brew again.

Not sure what to do yet.

that why I am  fair weather brewer

#3 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 30 September 2017 - 04:09 PM

Not sure what to do yet.

George, any chance you could change the garage sink back to be able to draw unsoftened water?

#4 Area Man

Area Man

Comptroller of Geometry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9143 posts
  • LocationAbilizzle

Posted 30 September 2017 - 08:09 PM

We can get 5 gallon jugs of it at the grocery store quite cheap here.

#5 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 30 September 2017 - 08:11 PM

We can get 5 gallon jugs of it at the grocery store quite cheap here.

yeah the RO machine water is an option

#6 Darterboy

Darterboy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1950 posts
  • LocationVestavia Hills, Alabama

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:08 PM

4862002626_24d4fd1d9b_b.jpg

#7 Mike Green

Mike Green

Frequent Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3671 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 01:16 AM

Are both the hot and cold water feeds soften? I thought people with a water softener only treated the hot side before the hot water tank. 

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 October 2017 - 03:57 AM

can you just turn the faucet on to fill up some buckets and then turn them off?  if my outside faucets were my only option this is likely what I'd do although I might have to shovel sometimes to get to the spigot.  or maybe do you have a valve to drain the line in your basement that wouldn't be softened water?  I have a few of these.

#9 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 01 October 2017 - 07:11 AM

Move

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 October 2017 - 07:24 AM

Move

def easier than doing a little plumbing :lol:

#11 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 01 October 2017 - 07:49 AM

Replumbing the sink sure sound easier.

George, any chance you could change the garage sink back to be able to draw unsoftened water?

This

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53963 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 07:56 AM

I have heard of people placing a bypass on the softened water source so you can grab unsoftened water. Also, FTR... I use my outdoor spigot (behind the garage) all winter long to connect to my immersion chiller. I connect it, use it, disconnect it. I have brewed when it was 0° outside. So you should be able to collect that water regardless of the temps.

#13 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47941 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 01 October 2017 - 08:27 AM

Brewing water is less of a problem than chill water. I could use RO from my own faucet to be with.

#14 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 01 October 2017 - 08:58 AM

4862002626_24d4fd1d9b_b.jpg

Several people on the AHA forum have posted about bad experiences with many machines.  Despite the service stickers on them, water tests have found that water is not pure.  Not on every machine, but more often than not. I'd advise staying away from them or buying a TDS meter to make sure the water is what it says it is.

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53963 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:35 AM

Several people on the AHA forum have posted about bad experiences with many machines.  Despite the service stickers on them, water tests have found that water is not pure.  Not on every machine, but more often than not. I'd advise staying away from them or buying a TDS meter to make sure the water is what it says it is.

I think the key here is to not assume that RO = distilled. RO does not equal distilled because distilled should be ALL ZEROES and RO would probably have very low ions, generally. For brewing purposes, RO could be low enough in ions that it doesn't matter much. But I did send an RO sample to Ward Labs and found that the water still had high TDS and bicarb (the bicarb was 50ppm which does not sound very RO to me). So if you don't know what's in the RO water... how can you know your starting point in terms of brewing?

#16 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:39 AM

I think the key here is to not assume that RO = distilled. RO does not equal distilled because distilled should be ALL ZEROES and RO would probably have very low ions, generally. For brewing purposes, RO could be low enough in ions that it doesn't matter much. But I did send an RO sample to Ward Labs and found that the water still had high TDS and bicarb (the bicarb was 50ppm which does not sound very RO to me). So if you don't know what's in the RO water... how can you know your starting point in terms of brewing?

Let's say for brewing purposes, RO should be low enough in ions.  If RO is done correctly, it should be functionally interchangeable with distilled.

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53963 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:46 AM

Let's say for brewing purposes, RO should be low enough in ions.  If RO is done correctly, it should be functionally interchangeable with distilled.

Agreed. If you had your own RO system at home and you maintained it properly then you would be in good shape. But you have no idea what you're getting at these RO machines and that would probably drive me nuts because how do you know how much CaCl or CaSO4, etc. to add if you don't know your starting numbers?

#18 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64052 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 03 October 2017 - 08:31 AM

Can't you just use the hose bib for brewing then drain it again when you're done?  They also make insulated covers for hose bibs.  Not sure if that would work where you are.

#19 Darterboy

Darterboy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1950 posts
  • LocationVestavia Hills, Alabama

Posted 03 October 2017 - 07:37 PM

TDS meter ordered.

#20 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:16 PM

TDS meter ordered.

which did you get?

0 user(s) are reading this topic