#1 Area Man

Area Man

Comptroller of Geometry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8893 posts
  • LocationAbilizzle

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:27 PM

So I've had to wear glasses for the past few years, primarily because for some reason my right eye is going to crap. And astigmatism. Last year I had to get bifocals to help with reading as well (although I do OK without them most of the time).

I'm getting fed up with glasses, and my insurance has some allowance for contacts so I'd like to try them, but I know nothing about them. So once I have the exam and fitting, how do I go about getting them at a good price? What's maintenance like, esp. for a somewhat lazy individual such as myself? I'm assuming technology has advanced far enough that they're not the PITA they used to be, but I have no idea what is involved on a day-to-day basis.

#2 BIG POPPA

BIG POPPA

Duke of Errrrl

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25294 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:43 PM

If you are not good at stabbing yourself in the eyes with your finger....forgetaboutit.

I tried real hard to use them. I just couldn't stop my eyes from their natural reflexive responses.

#3 weeperabr

weeperabr

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9933 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:46 PM

I've been out of contacts for 6 years or so, but last I remember, I was wearing "weeklies" for a month without any issues. None of the weekly cleaner, etc. just saline every night. Do not wear anything to sleep, I don't care what they say...

That said... I have a mild astigmatism so I got away with typical lenses. Sometimes you'll need a special lens for that eye, and I'm not sure what that entails. I was always borderline and got enough clarity from the basic lens.

#4 weeperabr

weeperabr

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9933 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:48 PM

I actually think doctors are very competitive with the 1-800 online places. Mine was only about 40.00 extra per year thru my doc. Not sure what's happening now. Contacts for a year cost less than a pair of eyeglasses.

#5 weeperabr

weeperabr

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9933 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:50 PM

If you are not good at stabbing yourself in the eyes with your finger....forgetaboutit.

I tried real hard to use them. I just couldn't stop my eyes from their natural reflexive responses.

That's because you aren't/weren't a 16 year old chubby, pimply girl who couldn't bear the idea of also wearing ugly ass thick ass glasses. I trained my eyelid to STFU.

#6 Area Man

Area Man

Comptroller of Geometry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8893 posts
  • LocationAbilizzle

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:51 PM

Damn, that sounds promising. And I have no problem with touching my eyeballs. 

#7 weeperabr

weeperabr

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9933 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:57 PM

Damn, that sounds promising. And I have no problem with touching my eyeballs.

The best part with disposables is that you can accidentally drop one in the toilet and immediately move on to a fresh pack without giving your tear ducts AIDS.

I should note that I wore disposables 2x as long as recommended, which kept costs down, but the doc didn't like it.
Whatevs. Didn't kill me!

#8 Area Man

Area Man

Comptroller of Geometry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8893 posts
  • LocationAbilizzle

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:20 PM

Did the exam today, and they set me up for a 1 week trial of monthlies. Getting them in and out was a bear. I don't have any qualms with touching my eyeballs, but I involuntarily blink so badly that it's a PITA. Nothing I can't get past though--gonna have to give myself some extra time in the mornings. Which sucks.

My vision is pretty good with them, but I'll have periods where it gets a little blurry. Never seems quite as sharp as with my glasses--I'm chalking this up to my eyes being irritated from the practice session.

#9 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12960 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:30 PM

You will get used to the foreign body sensation, most likely, can take a few weeks as I recall. The blurriness, for me, happened at the end of the day as my eyes would get dry and irritated. Then I'd have to switch to glasses around 9 pm. You'll most likely have better vision correction with the contacts, provided the initial measurements and prescription were correct. Contacts have their own foibles and annoyances, which for me weren't worth it, but obviously ymmv and certainly worth a try if glasses were annoying you.

#10 weeperabr

weeperabr

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9933 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:32 PM

Shame. Area looks cute in glasses.

So, does anyone know... now that I’m moving quickly towards needing bifocals or progressive lenses in my glasses, will contacts correct this vision issue?

#11 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18542 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:42 PM

Shame. Area looks cute in glasses.

So, does anyone know... now that I’m moving quickly towards needing bifocals or progressive lenses in my glasses, will contacts correct this vision issue?

I knew someone who had "bifocal" contacts . Iirc, it was essentially a reader contact in one eye and distance in the other. She said it was weird at first, but she got used to it.

Apparently, they have progressive contacts now that would seem to eliminate what I said above. I knew that person about 10 years ago.

Edited by Gusso, 04 October 2017 - 05:48 PM.

#12 weeperabr

weeperabr

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9933 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:55 PM

Ah. I see.

#13 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22134 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:11 AM

You get used to putting them in/out, etc.  I've been wearing them 8yrs?  The biweekly I started in I liked a lot but they got discontinued.  I tried monthly for a bit but didn't like them.  I'm back into a biweekly and found I have far less issues if I do change them on the 1st/15th rather than trying to extend their use.  No real maintenance, I just put them in saline at night and do the finger rub on palm in the morning to make sure any stuff is broken loose off them.  Right now I'm practicing trying to put them in w/o a mirror (easier when camping) as I've never bothered to develop that skill prior.

I get mine from contact lens king.  (Funny flash backs to the keg king debacle on the green board but they are legit been ordering from them for years).

#14 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

Comptroller of Flying Ducks

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11183 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:49 AM

I've been wearing them for about 20 years or so.  I'd love to have lasik at some point, but contacts are super easy.  My only complaint is when allergies act up and they stick or slide around on your eye.

#15 badogg

badogg

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28502 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:53 AM

I much preferred contacts over glasses as I hated wearing glasses.  However I had to stop wearing them as they really dried out my eyes and became extremely uncomfortable, especially at night.  No matter how much drops I put in

#16 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22134 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:56 AM

My main complaint is swimming, can't just hop in a pool for fun with them in.  My experience anyways.

#17 BIG POPPA

BIG POPPA

Duke of Errrrl

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25294 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:16 AM

That's because you aren't/weren't a 16 year old chubby, pimply girl who couldn't bear the idea of also wearing ugly ass thick ass glasses. I trained my eyelid to STFU.

As horrid as that sounds to you, I guarantee you your childhood was a cake walk in comparison

#18 weeperabr

weeperabr

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9933 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:25 PM

As horrid as that sounds to you, I guarantee you your childhood was a cake walk in comparison

I was just being silly. I’ve had a very easy life, I am lucky.

#19 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12960 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:27 PM

My main complaint is swimming, can't just hop in a pool for fun with them in. My experience anyways.

But, rain, and lenses fogging up are non-issues. You also don't have to worry about prescription sunglasses. Those are what I saw as the main upsides.

Edited by porter, 05 October 2017 - 02:27 PM.

#20 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22134 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:42 PM

For sure, I was comparing to needing nothing in the good old days. ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: drinking, PHBT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users