#21 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:10 AM

Even places that don't serve nitro beers generally push with beer gas.

#22 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:51 AM

Most places that serve Guinness, Boddington's, etc., use a beer-gas mix of 3/1 N2/CO2.

Using beergas to push the beer, rather than straight N2, can help ensure the beer maintains a mix of N2/CO2 from beginning to end of keg.  However, some have found no difference in using straight N2 to push the beer vs. using beergas.

Matt might need to make some tweaks as he goes, depending on how his beer is doing, or he might've hit pay-dirt and is totally happy with what he has now (hopefully he's happy).

Carbing such a beer at home is usually done one of 2 ways: light carb with straight CO2, then to a beergas or straight N2 to push the beer, or (if using beer-gas), one could also just hook up the beer gas, let the keg sit a few days, and it will be carbonated enough to run through a stout faucet.

Many ways to attack this.

That's my plan of attack and it works well. I have BG setup but really don't mess with it much anymore since it seems to me Nitro dumbs the flavors down. I've done various 10g batches and carbed half with BG the other straight Co2. Other than the cool factor of the Nitro cascade, I always went back to the Co2 beer as having the better flavors. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users