#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53897 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:41 PM

oldstyleoktoberfest.jpg

I have lived in the Chicago area my whole life and I've never seen this. I was at the store and picked up a 4-pack of these 16oz cans. Has anyone seen this or tried this before? I gave two of them to my dad and put the other 2 in my fridge. Should be interesting. :D

#2 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:29 PM

That's pretty cool.   Curious to hear how tastes.   Being fresh and local should help.      Although...    I bought a sixer of Octoberfest from a local craft brewery last weekend.   It was practically undrinkable crap.     Hope yours goes better. 

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53897 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:35 PM

Oktoberfest-style beers are one of my weaknesses. The interpretations run the spectrum as you know... gold and dry, medium color with more depth, dark and malty, etc. Many American breweries whiff miserably when attempting the style. I do have a keg waiting to hit the draft fridge and mine is super simple... pils, munich 2, noble hops at the beginning of the boil and that's all and then a suitable yeast. The Omega Bayern/Augustiner yeast in this case. Can't wait to tap it. When I pour this Old Style Oktoberfest into a glass I'll snap a pic of it.

#4 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:32 PM

I had some of Sierra Nevada's Octoberfest offering this evening.   I thought it was awesome. 

#5 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:23 PM

I had some of Sierra Nevada's Octoberfest offering this evening.   I thought it was awesome. 

Agreed; this year's SN O-fest is terrific.  Reminds me, i need to pick up some more soon.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53897 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:57 AM

The last time I had SN Octoberfest it was part of a fall sampler 12-pack along with the Tumbler (brown ale) and possibly another German style lager like a Vienna or Dunkel. I remember the Ofest being quite good. The Sam Adams Oktoberfest has the ability to be good but I notice that it changes from year to year and that it can sometimes be a little sweet and heavy almost like it has crystal in it. The New Glarus Staghorn is always delicious and even the Leinie Oktoberfest (a little more pale and not quite as DEEP) has its charm.

#7 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47922 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:09 AM

I can't stand much from Leinie because they want to put f-ing Cluster in almost everything.  Who wants an Ofest with Cluster? Blech.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53897 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:22 AM

I can't stand much from Leinie because they want to put f-ing Cluster in almost everything.  Who wants an Ofest with Cluster? Blech.

I've heard that before and I agree with you. Some of their smoother beers don't seem to offend me and even their hoppier beers (which I assume don't use Cluster late) are okay too. I was up at Milwaukee Summerfest this year and the Red Pale Ale seemed pretty good to me. I don't know if they use Cluster in their OFest but if they do I don't seem to pick it up.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:47 AM

I need to pick some up.  I thought the one last year they did with Marhs last year was good.  I look forward to the SN and Copper Legend by Jack's Abby here in MA.

#10 TAPPER

TAPPER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationStratford, WI

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:52 AM

Found that Old Style "gem" last year.  12 people in my club all choose a different O-fest and then we exchange bottles.  Old Style was near the bottom of last year's 12.  We'll see if someone buys it this year.

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53897 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:56 AM

Found that Old Style "gem" last year.  12 people in my club all choose a different O-fest and then we exchange bottles.  Old Style was near the bottom of last year's 12.  We'll see if someone buys it this year.

:covreyes:

I don't expect it to be great so we'll see.

#12 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:58 AM

ok guys, Shameless self promotion, but I did a blind tasting of 6 ofests for my youtube channel and ranked them.

The Old Style is in there. Actually, when I tried it, I immediately pulled it to the side and said, this one is in last.  :crazy:

Link for the curious.

httpss://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0dbWvBnpFQ

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53897 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:17 PM

Well. I tried to put the best possible spin on it by putting it into an appropriate glass.

oldstyleoktoberfest2.jpg

It's terrible. It's kind of sweet, it seems like it may have a good amount of crystal in it, the finish is clunky and not clean and it's just generally bad. I'm staring at the half of a glass that's left and wondering if I would be better off just pouring it out. It is 6.3% so there is a bit of alcohol in it but I really can't believe that a commercial brewery would produce and distribute this. Maybe I'm saying that because I spend a good percentage of my brewing time on German-inspired beer and I think I make some decent beers. For the love of man, try to avoid this at all costs.

#14 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:54 PM

This is better.  Trust me.  Happy Friday!

21728461_10213207480918085_5201123702297

#15 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:09 PM

Well. I tried to put the best possible spin on it by putting it into an appropriate glass.

It's terrible. It's kind of sweet, it seems like it may have a good amount of crystal in it, the finish is clunky and not clean and it's just generally bad. I'm staring at the half of a glass that's left and wondering if I would be better off just pouring it out. 

Yea, Not sure if you can tell in the video I posted, but when I try sample "C" I'm not quite sure what to say. I don't like badmouthing breweries cause that's just not me. But I'm kind of at a loss for how to say it's bad without flat out saying how bad it is!  :crazy:

#16 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:52 PM

Another plug for SN's O-fest.  Truly delicious.

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53897 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:14 PM

Yea, Not sure if you can tell in the video I posted, but when I try sample "C" I'm not quite sure what to say. I don't like badmouthing breweries cause that's just not me. But I'm kind of at a loss for how to say it's bad without flat out saying how bad it is!  :crazy:

I rewatched your video and saw that your sample of Old Style Oktoberfest from last year seemed "drier" which is one thing that is missing here. The finish is kind of sweet and just not pleasant. It's not a well-made beer and I'll say it again: Who is designing this beer and then brewing, packaging and selling this beer? It's appalling. I've had bad commercial beers before so I'm not all that surprised but I just don't understand where these guys got their inspiration from. Now I'm really looking forward to putting my Oktoberfest Lager on tap.

#18 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16602 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:15 PM

Another plug for SN's O-fest.  Truly delicious.

Agree, drinking one right now after starting with a NG Staghorn. Both are very delightful.

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53897 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:40 PM

NG Staghorn.

:wub:

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:35 AM

It's terrible. It's kind of sweet, it seems like it may have a good amount of crystal in it, the finish is clunky and not clean and it's just generally bad. I'm staring at the half of a glass that's left and wondering if I would be better off just pouring it out. It is 6.3% so there is a bit of alcohol in it but I really can't believe that a commercial brewery would produce and distribute this. Maybe I'm saying that because I spend a good percentage of my brewing time on German-inspired beer and I think I make some decent beers. For the love of man, try to avoid this at all costs.

too bad.  after having augustiner helles I really want to try their o'fest if they've got one (and I'm sure they do).

if you are ever around the north east I suggest you try some von trapp beers.  they are at many grocery stores and are pretty affordable.

https://www.vontrapp...-to-find-us.htm

Edited by pickle_rick, 16 September 2017 - 03:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users