#22 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:26 AM

Last night I took a hydro reading of about 1.02. I guess I expected to ferment out a little more. I'll probably check again tonight but I'm not anticipating much if any more downward movement. 3lbs of roasted grain and a pound of carapils makes for less fermentable beer than I'm used to? It doesn't seem overtly sweet but hard to tell on young, warm and mostly flat beer.

Edited by pickle_rick, 29 September 2017 - 07:26 AM.

#23 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:52 AM

first runnings of the black stuff:

gmdLflA.jpg

What's that face staring back at me from your wort?    :D

#24 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 September 2017 - 12:40 PM

What's that face staring back at me from your wort? :D

Beer god :D

#25 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 September 2017 - 04:40 AM

hmmm - maybe at 1.018 now but that's still pretty low attenuation (67%) for 1450.  maybe still fermenting?

the starter took off fine and so did the fermentation but this does have me a little concerned for the vitality of the yeast.  ugh.  i hate this kind of doubt.

Edited by pickle_rick, 30 September 2017 - 04:57 AM.

#26 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16602 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:08 AM

My thoughts... I don't think yeast vitality was an issue, especially if your 007 took off normally. You have a good bit of unfermentables in there, however, none of them are inherently all that sweet so I don't think you will have a sweet sticky beer on your hands. I'd give it a few more days warm and call it good. You'll probably end up with a nice, roasty, full bodied 5% stout there.

#27 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:18 AM

My thoughts... I don't think yeast vitality was an issue, especially if your 007 took off normally. You have a good bit of unfermentables in there, however, none of them are inherently all that sweet so I don't think you will have a sweet sticky beer on your hands. I'd give it a few more days warm and call it good. You'll probably end up with a nice, roasty, full bodied 5% stout there.

it did take off normally and the beer was fermenting hard much faster than I am used to.  typically it takes 24 or more hours for this but on this beer it was more like 12 hours.

#28 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:41 AM

i put the space heater in to keep the chamber at 70F.  it's been sitting around 68-69 the last couple of days b/c I didn't put the heater in there.

#29 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 September 2017 - 12:00 PM

when I tasted the second hydro sample it had a bit of weird smell.  maybe yeast derived?  maybe not.  could just be young beer.  not quite like a hot alcohol smell but in that realm.

the first sample I took had a hint of this but also quite a bit of roast and chocolate that seemed to mask it perhaps.  I'll probably pull one more hydro sample tomorrow and if I'm still at 1.018 start chilling a day or two after that.

#30 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 October 2017 - 07:01 AM

I actually think the weirdness might be the large amount of mt. hood hops.  it is a little bit spicy so that might make sense.  the hops are also probably not settle out of the beer at all yet either so I suspect with some cold crashing this is going to change things quite a bit.

gravity is still at 1.018 so I'd say we are done.

Edited by pickle_rick, 01 October 2017 - 07:01 AM.

#31 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:48 PM

I actually think the weirdness might be the large amount of mt. hood hops.  it is a little bit spicy so that might make sense.  the hops are also probably not settle out of the beer at all yet either so I suspect with some cold crashing this is going to change things quite a bit.

with that muh RB. Carfoam and Choco Malt, you are lucky to have gotten that far down

#32 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 October 2017 - 01:32 PM

with that muh RB. Carfoam and Choco Malt, you are lucky to have gotten that far down

I try! I'll take that as a compliment. Thanks :)

#33 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16602 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 02:50 PM

Samples of recently fermented dark beers rarely taste very good to me. Its going to get a lot better as that yeast drops.

#34 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 01 October 2017 - 03:43 PM

Samples of recently fermented dark beers rarely taste very good to me. Its going to get a lot better as that yeast drops.

they always taste reminiscent of stale coffee to me

#35 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:04 PM

I didn't think he had all that much considering it was 10g. My last ipa had 2#'s of carafoam for a five gallon batch and still got to 1.012.

#36 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:45 PM

I didn't think he had all that much considering it was 10g. My last ipa had 2#'s of carafoam for a five gallon batch and still got to 1.012.

oh crap you 10g guys mess up my brain

it's the dark roasts that do it for me, my Obsidian Stout clone never goes below 10.18 from 1.068, it has  a high percentage of dark roasts and crystal and some carapils

#37 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 October 2017 - 03:48 AM

that's what I was thinking as well.  no idea what happened here.  I did mash at 156F.  too high?

but that brings me back to wondering if I should be using this yeast to make 20 more gallons of beer.  :scratch:

Edited by pickle_rick, 02 October 2017 - 03:50 AM.

#38 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16602 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:24 AM

that's what I was thinking as well.  no idea what happened here.  I did mash at 156F.  too high?

It's too high if you wanted a lower FG for that grist. 

but that brings me back to wondering if I should be using this yeast to make 20 more gallons of beer.  :scratch:

I would.

#39 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:28 AM

You are saying you'd use it?

#40 neddles

neddles