Photo
- - - - -

What's your personal record for using the same blob of yeast?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:58 AM

I'm on run #6 of this Bayern yeast. It's in a Dunkel right now and my whole beer bunker smells like Bavaria. :D I can't remember using the same blob of yeast this many times and since it smells so unbelievably good I'm guessing that this yeast is in very good shape and could be used to make yet another batch. I'm wringing my hands over retiring it because I like it so much. How many times has everyone gone with the same yeast? I seem to remember DJ saying 10 batches with something like 1056 or US05. Big ups to that. :lol:

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16612 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:25 AM

3 maybe 4, not sure.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:27 AM

10 times with 1056.  I kept splitting the starters.

Edited by pickle_rick, 29 August 2017 - 09:27 AM.

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:03 AM

I've used 34/70 4 times with no issue. I've used Wyeast Kolsch 4 times and the 4th never cleared. Is the reason because of overuse? I don't know.

#5 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:05 AM

10 times with 1056.  I kept splitting the starters.

I often peel off a small mason jar from some starters I make. I'd rather just pitch slurry but it has to be no more than 2 weeks in the fridge before use. Just my thing..

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:18 AM

In this case I have just been saving the slurry and repitching around 200ml into the next lager. Next time I do the same thing. I generally don't roll the dice like this and I assume that there could be SMALL issues with some of these latest batches but I just tasted the Festbier (run #5) and it was outstanding so I expect the dunkel to be okay as well. I put together a very simple pilsner (Swaen Pils malt, 1 pound of Vienna, 4 ounces of Carafoam, Magnum to bitter and Hallertau at 15 and 5... 5%, SRM 3 and 30 IBUs) and I'm considering a run #7 since it seems to be holding up well.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:50 AM

I often peel off a small mason jar from some starters I make. I'd rather just pitch slurry but it has to be no more than 2 weeks in the fridge before use. Just my thing..

these days with my 10 gal batches and less frequent brewing I just plan to use a yeast 2 times within a couple of weeks.  so that means make a starter, pitch into first batch.  2-3 weeks later I've harvested some of the yeast from the first batch and I try to get it into the second batch in less than a week.  I now have 20 gals of beer made with one pack/vial of yeast which seems like more than enough for my wallet.

#8 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:06 PM

I've never gone more than 2. I just don't brew often enough. I really wished that I had a better way to collect yeast because I make a lot of it. Unfortunately there's not enough room in the ferm chambers to add in a collection device. 

#9 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:24 AM

I've done 3.  Possibly 4.  Like others, I don't brew enough for it to be a strong part of my practice.

#10 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:21 AM

I think it was 17 US-05

Brewing today with US-95 and this will be batch #2 with this one

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 September 2017 - 09:18 AM

did you mean to type US-05 or is US-95 a yeast I don't know about?  honest question.

#12 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:31 AM

did you mean to type US-05 or is US-95 a yeast I don't know about?  honest question.

fat fingers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users