Photo
- - - - -

The Omega Bayern Lager yeast (apology inside...)

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18097 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:45 AM

Wow, 8.99 at NB

Rite brew is great and ship very fast.  I have not shopped at NB for years.

#22 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:50 AM

After the buy out I really would rather not do NB but I have a $50 gift card to use. I've been shopping some over at Stubby's httpss://www.txbrewing.com/

Their site needs some adjustments but they run specials all the time. I do need to check out Ritebrew too.

#23 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55059 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:56 AM

Rite brew is great and ship very fast.  I have not shopped at NB for years.

Agreed. Ritebrew has good prices and ships quickly. Midwest and NB are permanently off my list of places to order from. Not only is there NO REASON to order from them but they have all kinds of nutty shipping structures that basically deprioritize your order if you don't choose quick shipping. Buh-bye.

#24 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:58 AM

Yes. I've learned with NB I order when I have no particular deadline, that's for sure.

$50 gift card tho. Gotta use it.

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55059 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:02 AM

$50 gift card tho. Gotta use it.

True, true.

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55059 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 04:27 PM

Okay, it's done. I transferred my 7th (and record-setting) batch made with this yeast to a keg today. The beer (an 'American Lager') was brewed on 9/9 so it's been in the primary for 20 days. This may have been the clearest wort I have ever seen coming out of primary. I could look down into the bucket and see everything like I was in a pool of beer. I'm sure this won't capture it as well as I saw...

clearprimarywort.jpg

Anyway, when that was done I retired the Bayern yeast which still looked and smelled great. At some point I will be picking up some more. I might do a run with 2124 and then more of this stuff. I'll have to pour out a beer tonight in honor of the billions who died tonight. :D

#27 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49876 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:32 AM

I wonder if Wyeast will ever rerelease that Munich Lager 2. I'm pretty sure they still have it for commercial pitches.

#28 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55059 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:52 AM

I wonder if Wyeast will ever rerelease that Munich Lager 2. I'm pretty sure they still have it for commercial pitches.

Right. That's the first time I tried it... as Wyeast 2352.

#29 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16835 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:47 PM

WLP860 is also reputed to be that strain. Its not one of their regulars so its nice to have this as a regular in Omega's line-up.

#30 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55059 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:55 PM

WLP860 is also reputed to be that strain. Its not one of their regulars so its nice to have this as a regular in Omega's line-up.

I agree. The beers with 2352 were so good but I was bummed I couldn't get my hands on it anymore. You were the one who mentioned that Omega's strain is the same. Thank Jeebus because the last run of beers with it have been spectacular.

#31 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16835 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:53 PM

Ken, looks like your first beer with this strain was a pilsner. How did you like it in the pils? Did it let the hops come through nicely? 

#32 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55059 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:54 PM

Ken, looks like your first beer with this strain was a pilsner. How did you like it in the pils? Did it let the hops come through nicely?

It did. That was a nice beer and the yeast played well.

#33 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16835 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 06:16 AM

Thanks. I have a Bayern slurry in the fridge that I harvested from my Vienna Lager on Sunday that I want to use before long here. I'm teetering between pils and helles.

#34 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55059 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 06:43 AM

Thanks. I have a Bayern slurry in the fridge that I harvested from my Vienna Lager on Sunday that I want to use before long here. I'm teetering between pils and helles.

You just can't go wrong. Pale beer, dark beer, hoppy beer, malty beer. It's all good. My sprinkler guy was here yesterday to close my system and he always drinks beer when he's here. We were in the basement and I got him a beer and we talked for about 5 minutes and he said, "Okay, I need to go outside but I have to top this beer off first... wow, this is good" and he was drinking my helles with the Bayern yeast. It smelled so good I grabbed a glass of the Dunkel with the same yeast. It has worked well in every beer I used it in. It shines a little brighter in maltier styles because the character comes through better. In hoppier styles, it yields to the hops and the character is still there but less so. The helles, Vienna, Festbier and Dunkel all came out stellar.

#35 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16549 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 02 November 2017 - 06:46 AM

I'm on email lists for when Bayern comes back in stock, if ever. 

#36 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18097 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 06:48 AM

Funny, I am teetering between the same.  Also thinking about doing the golden ale I did with 838 again and try it with baryern. 

#37 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55059 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 06:58 AM

So who has tasted a finished beer made with the Bayern lager yeast? Does it scream GERMAN to you guys or is it all in my head? The best experience is when you haven't had a beer yet and you tap the beer and just take a big whiff when your senses have not adjusted to it yet. It's unreal... for me anyway. I can smell it across the room. There was a mouthful of Dunkel in my glass last night when I went to bed and I ran some water into the glass and left it in the sink overnight. This morning the whole kitchen smells like Munich. :lol: That aroma is amazing to me. I used to feel that way about 2124 (and I still do) but this yeast is just crazy good.

Andy: Let me know if you can't find it. One of my LHBSs carries it and I'm pretty sure I could get it and send you a pack.

#38 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16835 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:01 AM

I'm on email lists for when Bayern comes back in stock, if ever. 

Pre-order some from RiteBrew. It's $6.25, add a few other items you need to make the shipping more worth your while. They will send the whole order to you when it comes in from Omega. It will be as fresh as possible. Seems like a good time of year for shipping yeast if that's what is holding you back.

#39 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16835 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:09 AM

Funny, I am teetering between the same. 

Right? They both sound so good right now.

#40 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18097 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:46 AM

So who has tasted a finished beer made with the Bayern lager yeast? Does it scream GERMAN to you guys or is it all in my head? The best experience is when you haven't had a beer yet and you tap the beer and just take a big whiff when your senses have not adjusted to it yet. It's unreal... for me anyway. I can smell it across the room. There was a mouthful of Dunkel in my glass last night when I went to bed and I ran some water into the glass and left it in the sink overnight. This morning the whole kitchen smells like Munich. :lol: That aroma is amazing to me. I used to feel that way about 2124 (and I still do) but this yeast is just crazy good.

Andy: Let me know if you can't find it. One of my LHBSs carries it and I'm pretty sure I could get it and send you a pack.

I have got one beer with Bayern on tap, my session pils with Motueka.  I like the beer but I think I am not a Motueka fan because it is not wowing me like I had hoped.  I am waiting for the Vienna to finish up before I make any more comments. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users