#1 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

Comptroller of Flying Ducks

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12414 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:15 PM

I needed some empties to bottle some homebrew for a few coworkers and grabbed a 12-pack. Damn, it's a nice break from the super hoppy pales that are the norm now. I need to find a close clone recipe.

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:19 PM

I needed some empties to bottle some homebrew for a few coworkers and grabbed a 12-pack. Damn, it's a nice break from the super hoppy pales that are the norm now. I need to find a close clone recipe.

I agree. It's been awhile since I had some but I really enjoyed it the last time I had it. I'm not a super-hoppy beer guy anyway.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:09 PM

Do you mean bitter hop or hop flavor/aroma? Not sure if I have ever had their apa.

#4 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:15 PM

It's a nice solid APA.  Haven't had one in a few months but there's a reason they keep brewing it.

#5 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:53 AM

It's what I bought for my wedding. A Solid Pale that's pretty cheap to boot!

Once my brewery gets up and going, I'm planing to have a pale like it for everyone to enjoy.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:56 AM

I find that I sometimes crave an ultra-hoppy beer but I generally don't want 5 gallons of it around because A) it won't get consumed quickly and 2) that fresh-hop character may fade because it takes so long to drink. After maybe 2 or 3 beers like that, the hops seem to build up on my tastebuds and it's just not enjoyable anymore. Enter the standard APA... flavorful, still with a decent amount of hops, enjoyable and easily consumed for an entire session with no tastebud fatigue. It's one of my favorite styles and they're still around if you look. Another that I had recently was Schlafly Pale Ale... very solid.

#7 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

Comptroller of Flying Ducks

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12414 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:58 AM

Do you mean bitter hop or hop flavor/aroma? Not sure if I have ever had their apa.

It's well balanced and not in your face on either. The hops are there, but the crystal is able to shine through, and it's still crisp and not too sweet.

#8 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:06 PM

It's well balanced and not in your face on either. The hops are there, but the crystal is able to shine through, and it's still crisp and not too sweet.

Pale ale 101

#9 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:23 AM

I prefer it on draught vs bottle. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users